• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Turing Test Passed, A.I. is Here

339_skynet-5-things-you-didnt-know_flash.jpg

I, for one, welcome our new computer overlords.

I can't get this video to play. Maybe the machines are trying to stop me.
From Descartes’ view of the heart as a pump to Dennett’s conception of the brain as a computer, our understanding of the body is permeated with mechanical metaphors. Is it an error to believe that the body is a machine? Should we find a new adventure in alternative metaphors of the body, or would this be a romantic illusion?
The Panel

Biologist and author of The Science Delusion Rupert Sheldrake, Oxford neuroscientist Colin Blakemore, and award-winning novelist Joanna Kavenna reimagine the human being.
http://iai.tv/video/beyond-the-machine

According to Kurzweil, this wasn't supposed to happen for another 15 years. Hopefully that doesn't move up the rest of his predictions by the same range, or there is just no chance that Wake will ever get to another Final Four. From Kurzweil's wiki:

He claims to know that 20 to 25 years from now, we will have millions of blood-cell sized devices, known as nanobots, inside our bodies fighting against diseases, improving our memory, and cognitive abilities. Kurzweil claims to know that a machine will pass the Turing test by 2029, and that around 2045, "the pace of change will be so astonishingly quick that we won't be able to keep up, unless we enhance our own intelligence by merging with the intelligent machines we are creating". Shortly after, Kurzweil claims to know that humans will be a hybrid of biological and non-biological intelligence that becomes increasingly dominated by its non-biological component. He stresses that "AI is not an intelligent invasion from Mars. These are brain extenders that we have created to expand our own mental reach. They are part of our civilization. They are part of who we are. So over the next few decades our human-machine civilization will become increasingly dominated by its non-biological component."

Another Star Trek technology prediction.

Picard_as_Locutus.jpg

Only 30% won't cut it.
But I'm hopeful we have Kurzweil's nano-repairers before my body gets too old. I will go full robot.

According to Kurzweil, this wasn't supposed to happen for another 15 years. Hopefully that doesn't move up the rest of his predictions by the same range, or there is just no chance that Wake will ever get to another Final Four. From Kurzweil's wiki:

He claims to know that 20 to 25 years from now, we will have millions of blood-cell sized devices, known as nanobots, inside our bodies fighting against diseases, improving our memory, and cognitive abilities. Kurzweil claims to know that a machine will pass the Turing test by 2029, and that around 2045, "the pace of change will be so astonishingly quick that we won't be able to keep up, unless we enhance our own intelligence by merging with the intelligent machines we are creating". Shortly after, Kurzweil claims to know that humans will be a hybrid of biological and non-biological intelligence that becomes increasingly dominated by its non-biological component. He stresses that "AI is not an intelligent invasion from Mars. These are brain extenders that we have created to expand our own mental reach. They are part of our civilization. They are part of who we are. So over the next few decades our human-machine civilization will become increasingly dominated by its non-biological component."

Just finished reading his book, The Singularity. Fascinating stuff.

waiting for olivegardendeac to weigh in before i know how to feel

Shortly after, Kurzweil claims to know that humans will be a hybrid of biological and non-biological intelligence that becomes increasingly dominated by its non-biological component.

Hard to argue this hasn't already happened.

There is an Asian lady here in the US open media center with a flip phone and iPhone. She uses the flip phone to call her network back in Japan

Back