• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Poor Ole Chris Washburn or Something to Make a Tar Hole Feel Better

I think that was ole amphibious Shackleford.

Washburn was the player who scored like a 400 on his SAT and was perma-banned from the NBA for failing 3 straight drug tests.

One of the point shaving games was the State vs. Wake...Ralph Kitley looked like LeBron and scored 20-some points. It was an amazing performance.

And then we find out about the point shaving scandal.

Last edited:

Washburn was the player who scored like a 400 on his SAT and was perma-banned from the NBA for failing 3 straight drug tests.

One of the point shaving games was the State vs. Wake...Ralph Kitley looked like LeBron and scored 20-some points. It was an amazing performance.

Think you're right about Shackelford. The reason Kitley had 20 points was because Shackelford's feet were nailed to the floor. Rule #1 in point shaving is, if you're gonna do it, just miss a lot of shots, don't be so obvious as to not play any defense. But yeah, Shackelford and Washburn were testaments to Valvano's recruiting and coaching ethics. But he's a now a saint because he died young.

Definitely Shack, not Washburn, that shaved points.

Did I miss something? Was this the felony?

"The passenger in the vehicle, tried to pay for the fuel with a WEX/Fleet Fuel card, Burwell said, but the card was denied. Burwell said the suspect told the manager he would come back and pay for the gas."

A friend of one of my brothers was a big wig for College Testing Service. He told my bro that Washburn would have scored higher on the SAT's if he had simply selected "b" on each question.

Think you're right about Shackelford. The reason Kitley had 20 points was because Shackelford's feet were nailed to the floor. Rule #1 in point shaving is, if you're gonna do it, just miss a lot of shots, don't be so obvious as to not play any defense. But yeah, Shackelford and Washburn were testaments to Valvano's recruiting and coaching ethics. But he's a now a saint because he died young.

I was at that game.

According to some on here a 400 on the SAT should get you into Stanford, paid $500k/year as a student then 8 figures to start.

I got hit in the back of the head with a box of popcorn by a state fan after cheering for Kitley...I was 10.

I was in middle school. Saw two fights and a female State fan cry.

Weirdest game I ever attended.

I was there too, and agree it was one of the weirdest games ever. There was no way Ralph could be making those plays, but he did. It was a lot of fun to watch, whether or not Shackleford was tanking.

I went to Washburn's chicken place a couple of years ago, and the chicken was pretty good. Chris is a genuinely nice guy, seemed to be trying to keep on the right track at that point. That article is confusingly written, it's hard to really tell what he did all that wrong. Looks like his buddy's credit card was denied, then Chris told the station he'd come back and pay later. Either he forgot, or at the worst he blew it off. That's a felony charge and "news" in the paper? Sometimes it sucks to be 7 feet tall and an ex-lottery pick. I hope he works it out.

Right. And where can you fill up before paying nowadays?

From Washburn's FB page:

To all friends, this is a big mistake, I did get gas from that store, but I never went in to buy the gas. My so call boy went to pay, I went and got a drink and some skins and paid for it. My rider said he need some cash so for me to fill up, and pay him HALF, I did that, not knowing the card did not go threw, I never handle that card never seen it. My only question is; how do you buy gas if your card is DECLINE, but the name is Chris Washburn..

Back