• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official US Open* Thread

Caturdayredux

Reaction score
Anyone catch Bill Coore on The Golf Channel? He's definitively a golf architecture wonk but great at his job. Several Wake Forest "shout outs" as I expect there will be throughout the week.

Lots of great story lines I assume but I don't follow golf.

Sarcasm Dirk. But Coore and Crenshaw do give an interesting interview although Coore is awkward as all hell.

Walked into the office this morning and found out a vendor may be taking me down to Pinehurst Thursday. I'll take it.

I'll be there on Thursday and probably for another day the following week for the Women's Open as well. Pretty excited.

Mickelson said something yesterday to the effect that he likes his chances if this turns into a short game contest. Phil, you may want to figure out your putting in a damn hurry. Switching grips mid round as he did last Sunday is not the sign of a player in command of his putting stroke.

My favorite viewing spot by far is the annex of 3, 4, 5, and 6.

Women getting screwed on playing their open the following week. Better hope for good weather or the course will be chopped up for Koreans.

Storms predicted each afternoon. That could change the course to a degree and make the championship less that what we hope it will be. I am hoping for an exceedingly fast course.

Mickelson said something yesterday to the effect that he likes his chances if this turns into a short game contest. Phil, you may want to figure out your putting in a damn hurry. Switching grips mid round as he did last Sunday is not the sign of a player in command of his putting stroke.

His pitching/chipping has been uncharacteristically erratic as well. Maybe he needs an insider tip.

Hey, experienced spectators, what's the best rain protection plan...rain suit, poncho or umbrella?

Hey, experienced spectators, what's the best rain protection plan...rain suit, poncho or umbrella?

Poncho. You don't want to carry around a rain suit, and it's going to get silly humid right after the rain is gone.

Article from the Charlotte Observer with lots of quotes from Wake players:

Arnold Palmer,

former Wake Forest player

“I was about 18 when I first went to Pinehurst. I was at Wake Forest, and I went there with my dad and a friend of ours from my hometown of Latrobe (Pa.) named Harry Saxman. I loved it. I thought it was the most beautiful place I’d ever seen. It was heaven, really. I liked the way the golf course was built. It was a natural for me. But we only played one day. This was in December and it snowed about 6 inches. We had to go home because it was snowing too heavily.

“I won the Southern Conference individual championship in 1949 on No. 2. I remember on the last hole, I had a one-shot lead on Harvie Ward, who was playing at (North) Carolina. Harvie needed to hole his second shot to tie me. He left it about 3 inches from the hole. I didn’t think it had a chance, but he damn near made it. I beat him by a stroke.

“I liked No. 2 because it was pretty much all pine needles and not very much rough, like they’ve remade it now. One of the reasons I liked it was that it was difficult to play, but around the greens there were a lot of runoffs. You had to run the ball up on the green, and if you didn’t do it properly, it would run off the other side.

“That’s why I think this is going to be a great Open, to see the players have to deal with those kinds of conditions again.”

Curtis Strange,

“I played the ’99 U.S. Open there, won the North and South twice and played there in college two or three times and we played the World Open there for a while.

“My best memory is winning the North and South against George Burns in 1975. He was the best amateur in the country at the time, and I was just a sophomore at Wake Forest. The North and South was a big deal then. So for me to be just 19 years old and to win it, that was so great for me.

“I fell in love with No. 2 the first time I played it. We were a bunch of college guys down there playing, and we had to pinch pennies to find a place to stay and eat. We bunked together in somebody’s apartment and had to find money for the entry fee.

“The Carolinas have such a history of golf, it only seems right that the Open is back at Pinehurst. My question is what took them so long to bring it back? We deserve it. It’s as historical as Winged Foot, Oak Hill, the Country Club and Pebble Beach. It holds its own with all those places.”

Davis Love III, Charlotte native,

former North Carolina player

“It’s our Pebble Beach of the South. It’s a great place to have an Open. I was probably 10 when I first went down there. It seemed like a big ol’ golf course to me, but I grew into it.”

Webb Simpson, Raleigh native, former Wake Forest player, Charlotte resident

“It’s special. Pinehurst is kind of a second home for me. My parents had a place there growing up. So we would go down there most every weekend. It’s one of those places where I have a lot of history.”

“I played a lot of junior golf tournaments, a lot of amateur golf tournaments. My dad caddied for me at the Southern Amateur there in (2007) at the Country Club of North Carolina. So it’s a home event in a sense, but also I’m one of the few guys, I think, that’s super vocal about loving Pinehurst No. 2.

“I think it gets forgotten a lot because we’re never really there. The Merions and the Pine Valleys and the Oakmonts get talked about a little more.”

Jay Haas,

“The first time I played No. 2 was my freshman year at Wake Forest. I remember it very differently from the first time I saw it. The condition of the course was not as good then as it is now. It was very bumpy around the fringes. I remember I couldn’t putt from the fringes. Since then, it hasn’t gotten any easier.

“My memory of the 1999 U.S. Open at Pinehurst – I finished tied for 17th – was of Sunday and what an odd day it was, mostly because of the weather. It was chilly and damp, and Payne Stewart wore a short-sleeved rain jacket and nobody had ever seen that. He’d cut off the sleeves with scissors himself. Now everybody has one.”

Bill Haas, Charlotte native,

“I remember watching my dad there the year Payne won. I haven’t played there that much, I wish I had a little more – then I’d have a little more knowledge. I don’t have much feel for the course. But it still feels like somewhat of a home game for me. By the time the Open comes, I’ll have gotten a few rounds in to get a feel for the fairways and greens.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...st-was-heaven.html#.U5cMzPldWgZ#storylink=cpy

True, but nothing says I am a player like a fan wearing a zero restriction rain suit.

A friend's father-in-law has a house on the course. I'll probably make a run for that if it starts raining. I'll be there Friday.

Mickelson apparently flew in last night and has a session with Dave Stockton this AM. Could help, never know?
I am thinking of going, but just not sure which day. Can't really take off Th or Fri. May try Saturday. I bet I could snag a set of tickets from StubHub or something.

Mickelson apparently flew in last night and has a session with Dave Stockton this AM. Could help, never know?
I am thinking of going, but just not sure which day. Can't really take off Th or Fri. May try Saturday. I bet I could snag a set of tickets from StubHub or something.

You better order soon or you won't get the tickets in time.

Just take Thursday off and get your ass down here.

Got a real good view of Jay Haas's Wake Forest putter grip this weekend during the Legends of Golf coverage.

Just take Thursday off and get your ass down here.

Wish I could. Already a full day booked in the OR. No good way to reschedule those patients easily. I should have thought about it sooner and cancelled the day months ago.

Back