• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sources: Tyler Cavanaugh Transferring

Excerpts from Cav's HS bio....

2012 McDonald's All-America nominee ... Finished as one of six finalists for the title of New York's "Mr. Basketball", losing out to teammate and current Syracuse sophomore DaJuan Coleman ... Named first team all-state by the New York State Sportswriters Association in 2011-12 ...In addition to Coleman, high school teammates included Brandon Triche (Syracuse) and Alshwan Hymes (Canisius) ... Rated as a three-star prospect by ESPN, Rivals and Scout ... ESPN ranked him as the No. 34 overall recruit in the East Region, the No. 7 recruit from the state of New York and the No. 38 power forward in the 2012 class ...

Hmm....so he wasn't any good, eh ?

Anxiously awaiting Manning signing a kid with better credentials than this:rolleyes:

It would have been nice to have a Colorado-eque turnaround with Bz's departure, but it's no real surprise that it's not to be. Hopefully, it will put to rest the "foundation" crap.

how many games did colorado win before their first season post-Bz started?

Excerpts from Cav's HS bio....

2012 McDonald's All-America nominee ... Finished as one of six finalists for the title of New York's "Mr. Basketball", losing out to teammate and current Syracuse sophomore DaJuan Coleman ... Named first team all-state by the New York State Sportswriters Association in 2011-12 ...In addition to Coleman, high school teammates included Brandon Triche (Syracuse) and Alshwan Hymes (Canisius) ... Rated as a three-star prospect by ESPN, Rivals and Scout ... ESPN ranked him as the No. 34 overall recruit in the East Region, the No. 7 recruit from the state of New York and the No. 38 power forward in the 2012 class ...

Hmm....so he wasn't any good, eh ?

Anxiously awaiting Manning signing a kid with better credentials than this:rolleyes:

That's not a great resume. #38 PF in his class?

Cav would have been a solid talent to have on the roster. But if he wasn't ready to buy in them he would have done more harm than good. We will be just fine without him.

It would have been nice to have a Colorado-eque turnaround with Bz's departure, but it's no real surprise that it's not to be. Hopefully, it will put to rest the "foundation" crap.

[name redacted] was only at CO for three years. Thus, he was able to cause less damage. That fourth year put our start at rebuilding back one year. Thanks Ron.

If we don't have some top 100 talent in the next recruiting class, then it will be time to get significantly worried.

that sounds like AD spin

BULLSHITE

Not really. It is a realization that we have dealt with subpar coaching, and soft players for 4 years. If they don't want to be a part of the new program, then I am sure that Manning told them to avoid letting the door hit them on the way out. We don't need to coddle our players. If we want them to play like men, then we need to treat them as such. Our product on the court (especially on the road) the past 4 years was a direct reflection of our coaching staff's approach towards them. We had/have a bunch of immature players who couldn't handle it when things didn't go their way. Manning is introducing reality to them apparently. If he was promising the world to them then Moto and Cav wouldn't have transferred.

I am encouraged by the transfers. Means we are finally getting some coaching. I say this as a guy who thinks Cav will become a very solid college basketball player. But we need talent and guts. Manning is giving them a gut check before they step on the court.

Last edited:
If we don't have some top 100 talent in the next recruiting class, then it will be time to get significantly worried.

Agree with this. Recruiting will always be the lifeblood of any program. Manning must prove he can bring in top talent.

Not really. It is a realization that we have dealt with subpar coaching, and soft players for 4 years. If they don't want to be a part of the new program, then I am sure that Manning told them to avoid letting the door hit them on the way out. We don't need to coddle our players. If we want them to play like men, then we need to treat them as such. Our product on the court (especially on the road) the past 4 years was a direct reflection of our coaching staff's approach towards them. We had/have a bunch of immature players who couldn't handle it when things didn't go their way. Manning is introducing reality to them apparently. If he was promising the world to them then Moto and Cav wouldn't have transferred.

I am encouraged by the transfers. Means we are finally getting some coaching.

jimmies-3-utefansdotnet.png

This is an excellent pinocha impression but it needs more expletives

Ha. When I read that post, I thought 'spot on', though I don't feel that strongly about Cav.

We need to remove all traces of the shit stain that was the [Redacted] era starting with Ron Wellman.

Cut the shit on Cav. He was a good player. Cav is the kind of high post player that excels on teams with very good talent around him. He is a high post pick and pop player who was developing. This is a big loss. Sorry. With that being said we are not a good team so Cav having to battle it out with centers and 4s was not working day in and day out. Point is we are so bad Cav would not be helping us in a natural position. Moto - love his motor but a classic tweener. If he thinks he can be a point forward - good luck to him. Sheldon - yea a loss too, but he was not particularly quick and he cant shoot a lick. He would be better as a role player on a good team. We need some studs. Unfortunately the guys that could help us now the most left. 3 known quantities that were solid not stars. I get the sense that DM is a very tough guy and not bs artist. Sounds like Moto and Cav were close, and it has been tough at wake. I understand.

Cut the shit on Cav. He was a good player. Cav is the kind of high post player that excels on teams with very good talent around him. He is a high post pick and pop player who was developing. This is a big loss. Sorry. With that being said we are not a good team so Cav having to battle it out with centers and 4s was not working day in and day out. Point is we are so bad Cav would not be helping us in a natural position. Moto - love his motor but a classic tweener. If he thinks he can be a point forward - good luck to him. Sheldon - yea a loss too, but he was not particularly quick and he cant shoot a lick. He would be better as a role player on a good team. We need some studs. Unfortunately the guys that could help us now the most left. 3 known quantities that were solid not stars. I get the sense that DM is a very tough guy and not bs artist. Sounds like Moto and Cav were close, and it has been tough at wake. I understand.

Cut what? There aren't too many people saying Cav wasn't a good player. He was. He would have helped if he stuck around and bought in. But he is not significantly better than anyone we can recruit in 2015 and 2016. If he didn't want to change with the times then we are better off without him. Obviously a motivated and 'all in' Cav helps us a lot, but a players with decent talent who isn't willing to buy in to a new system isn't going to help a lick.

Dumb. That is my final take on this. He will never be an NBA player and his best chance at Euro ball was Manning. So good luck, God speed.

He's a poor man's Euro-4 and he is softer than your typical Euro too. I could not care less that he decided to transfer.

Best of luck to him with the final 2 years of his basketball career and in life in general, however.

Part of the timing is that our prior coach increasingly coddled the players and did whatever it took to placate them in a effort to minimize transfers. A perverse "bunker mentality" was fostered and for the rising juniors it became the only college basketball experience they knew. With the coaching change, a new (read tougher and more demanding) environment is being established. Some will accept the challenge and rise to meet it. Others may find that it does not fit their desires and expectations. Those with options elsewhere may decide to leave. We have some on the roster that are fortunate to be here and they know it. They probably arent going anywhere. The expectations for being a WF basketball player are being changed from the depths of the last two years. Some of our players may be unwilling or unable to make that transition. Let us not lose sight of the fact that it is up to the players to satisfy the coaching staff, not the other way around. It is a poor metric indeed to evaluate DM by the prior players that he retains. He is not trying to run anybody off, but neither is his objective to retain as many as possible. He needs time to instill his philosophy and time to recruit his players before we start to panic over a few transfers.

Makes sense. CAV happens to be one of those that works hard, is coachable and will have many options.

what is also very strange is that Cav was recently accepted into the Undergrad Business school which is very difficult to get into.....

Makes sense. CAV happens to be one of those that works hard, is coachable and will have many options.

Did you mean to quote BabyDeac's post there?

It seems to be suggesting that Cav left because he didn't want to play under a coach that demanded more of him. Such a player isn't "coachable" in my eyes. Such a player is as soft as a 6'9" dude that can't dunk.

I am encouraged by the transfers. Means we are finally getting some coaching. I say this as a guy who thinks Cav will become a very solid college basketball player. But we need talent and guts. Manning is giving them a gut check before they step on the court.

And a guy with guts that works hard just left...

Back