• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sources: Tyler Cavanaugh Transferring

Can't transfer ACC to ACC.

Cav had an offer from Syracuse and was down to Wake/Cuse for his decision, he would absolutely be better than an invited walk on.

Can't transfer ACC to ACC.

Cav had an offer from Syracuse and was down to Wake/Cuse for his decision, he would absolutely be better than an invited walk on.

Does anyone know if this is an official documented bylaw or an unwritten gentlemen's agreement? Boeheim may not feel particularly beholden to old customs from when the ACC was a more genteel league.

Cav seems like a good kid. He appears to me to be very coachable. His offensive game certainly improved this past season. I think his rebounding improved, so I guess he improved some defensively as well. He was becoming more consistant and more reliable. He physically was stronger this year, and presumably would be more so this coming season.

We were going to struggle this coming season, even with him, and we certainly will miss him. At the very least, the rotation just became a lot more limited and difficult. His absence will make things harder for Thomas.

I hope Cav made a good decision for himself, and I wish him well.

Once he is gone, though, he is just yesterday's news to me. I still bleed black and gold, and I am only interested in the kids that want to play for Wake. I won't care where he goes and I won't have the slightest interest in how well or how poorly he plays, wherever he goes.

Strange timing, and hurts us short-term. But best of luck to Cav.

The timing of his transfer was obviously due to the fact that he has now seen the awesomeness of Leonard and a healthy Green at PF, and realized he would not see the floor next yr. No worries.

Does anyone know if this is an official documented bylaw or an unwritten gentlemen's agreement? Boeheim may not feel particularly beholden to old customs from when the ACC was a more genteel league.

I believe you can technically transfer within the conference, but the player will have to sit out two seasons. That is the reason why it never happens.

How about this leading to a 2015 Recruiting class of:

Alonzo Trier
Doral Moore
Brandan Ingram

If these players felt they were better off under bzz than manning, they can go. I'm already giving manning 2 down years to show me what he can do cause bzz has f'd us up so bad that it would take 5 5star recruits to turn us around in 1 year. This year was going to be a disappointment regardless so stop flipping out folks. After the end of 2-3 years, we will see improvement.

The only transfers that would upset me would be Codi, Devin or McClinton. Those 3 will be the main pieces this year and next year. Everyone else will be/would be a role player, with the exception of Wilbekin as I have a feeling he might be pretty damn good.

I don't remember exactly what the rule is, but I don't believe players transferring within the conference can receive ANY financial aid from athletics for an entire season. I know they have to sit out at least one year (obviously), but can't remember if the ACC imposes an additional one year on top of the NCAA rule.

I think this is a good point from TOB

I think the answer is somewhat akin to the "Stockholm syndrome" (where hostages start to identify with their captors). Bz motivated the team by playing the "us against the world"--"everybody is against us." card. This caused the players to identify with the coach more than they do ordinarily.

Part of the timing is that our prior coach increasingly coddled the players and did whatever it took to placate them in a effort to minimize transfers. A perverse "bunker mentality" was fostered and for the rising juniors it became the only college basketball experience they knew. With the coaching change, a new (read tougher and more demanding) environment is being established. Some will accept the challenge and rise to meet it. Others may find that it does not fit their desires and expectations. Those with options elsewhere may decide to leave. We have some on the roster that are fortunate to be here and they know it. They probably arent going anywhere. The expectations for being a WF basketball player are being changed from the depths of the last two years. Some of our players may be unwilling or unable to make that transition. Let us not lose sight of the fact that it is up to the players to satisfy the coaching staff, not the other way around. It is a poor metric indeed to evaluate DM by the prior players that he retains. He is not trying to run anybody off, but neither is his objective to retain as many as possible. He needs time to instill his philosophy and time to recruit his players before we start to panic over a few transfers.

Part of the timing is that our prior coach increasingly coddled the players and did whatever it took to placate them in a effort to minimize transfers. A perverse "bunker mentality" was fostered and for the rising juniors it became the only college basketball experience they knew. With the coaching change, a new (read tougher and more demanding) environment is being established. Some will accept the challenge and rise to meet it. Others may find that it does not fit their desires and expectations. Those with options elsewhere may decide to leave. We have some on the roster that are fortunate to be here and they know it. They probably arent going anywhere. The expectations for being a WF basketball player are being changed from the depths of the last two years. Some of our players may be unwilling or unable to make that transition. Let us not lose sight of the fact that it is up to the players to satisfy the coaching staff, not the other way around. It is a poor metric indeed to evaluate DM by the prior players that he retains. He is not trying to run anybody off, but neither is his objective to retain as many as possible. He needs time to instill his philosophy and time to recruit his players before we start to panic over a few transfers.

Thanks, that is a great post (assuming true).

Normally controversial posts start to degrade after about the fifth page, but this was so worth coming back for. TY, Baby

So given how bad the team will be, should we expect another joke of an OOC schedule?

@AdamZagoria: Baylor, Dayton & GW are in the mix for Wake transfer Tyler Cavanaugh, Jim Hart of City Rocks tells @SNYtv

Lol. Drew, Miller, and Longerdonk.

I know nothing about this situation, but Baby's post seems spot on.

So given how bad the team will be, should we expect another joke of an OOC schedule?

maybe, but that was definitely crafted to justify keeping [name redacted] for year 4. i'd like to think we'll give Manning a little more time given the hole that [name redacted] dug us in, but this board is full of prisoners of the moment.

If we have to burn it to the ground to get rid of the Bz sickness then so be it.

Back