• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sources: Tyler Cavanaugh Transferring

Hey BabyDeac,.....your PMs are full....thought you'd like to know....

Part of the timing is that our prior coach increasingly coddled the players and did whatever it took to placate them in a effort to minimize transfers. A perverse "bunker mentality" was fostered and for the rising juniors it became the only college basketball experience they knew. With the coaching change, a new (read tougher and more demanding) environment is being established. Some will accept the challenge and rise to meet it. Others may find that it does not fit their desires and expectations. Those with options elsewhere may decide to leave. We have some on the roster that are fortunate to be here and they know it. They probably arent going anywhere. The expectations for being a WF basketball player are being changed from the depths of the last two years. Some of our players may be unwilling or unable to make that transition. Let us not lose sight of the fact that it is up to the players to satisfy the coaching staff, not the other way around. It is a poor metric indeed to evaluate DM by the prior players that he retains. He is not trying to run anybody off, but neither is his objective to retain as many as possible. He needs time to instill his philosophy and time to recruit his players before we start to panic over a few transfers.

I suspect that this post is on target. May extend to football as well.

I guess we aren't going to have the program bump where the new coach comes in and does fantastic things with the old guys.

This looks like a real rebuilding job of the rebuilding job...

Manning has a great excuse at least for the next four years if things go wrong.

Oh well. If Cav can't take having a real head coach, I'm glad to see him go. Nice kid, but the expectations for the players have been raised and he wasn't happy with the changes.

Step up or step out.

From TOB, doesn't seem like Manning is expecting a lot from D Green.

can't claim I know the "for sure and certain" on Green and McClinton, but I did ask Coach Manning about both of them at the recent Charlotte coaches tour event. He said McClinton is fully participating and that he "hopes we can get a few minutes a game" out of Green next year. Didn't seem to be counting on Green much at all.

I'd love it if Manning answered a question about Green with, "He's on pace to graduate in four years."

From TOB, doesn't seem like Manning is expecting a lot from D Green.

Surprised Manning is drawing so much ire over the attrition. The majority of this board spent the past 2 years blasting our talent as non-ACC minus Codi and Devin, and [Redacted] as a sunshine blowing loser who had lost touch with the talent it takes to win in the ACC.

I like that Manning isn't saying Green is penciled in as our starting center. And if our borderline players would rather go start at Northwest Eastern State than fight for minutes against 5th year transfers here then more power to them. But when you can easily pick up a 5th year transfer that should arguably start for you immediately - like Coron last year or Leonard this year, that's not a referendum on the coach that just arrived - it's on the staff that left him in a position where picking up some depth threatens the PT of the legacy borderline starters.

Still not sure a Wilbekin/Codi/McClinton/Leonard/Devin starting 5 isn't better than any starting 5 we put on the court last year. We just have no depth.

Wellman: "this may take a while."

Athlons LOVES our football team (last in almost every possible category including recruiting).

Basketball - give it a few years and we are BACK!

Surprised Manning is drawing so much ire over the attrition. The majority of this board spent the past 2 years blasting our talent as non-ACC minus Codi and Devin, and [Redacted] as a sunshine blowing loser who had lost touch with the talent it takes to win in the ACC.

I like that Manning isn't saying Green is penciled in as our starting center. And if our borderline players would rather go start at Northwest Eastern State than fight for minutes against 5th year transfers here then more power to them. But when you can easily pick up a 5th year transfer that should arguably start for you immediately - like Coron last year or Leonard this year, that's not a referendum on the coach that just arrived - it's on the staff that left him in a position where picking up some depth threatens the PT of the legacy borderline starters.

Still not sure a Wilbekin/Codi/McClinton/Leonard/Devin starting 5 isn't better than any starting 5 we put on the court last year. We just have no depth.

Our talent was non-ACC. Who is complaining?

I thought this was an interesting post from TOB. Seems to imply that he believes all returning players are high character but one.

Probably just forgot about Green and McClinton.

Oh, yeah, I wasn't even thinking about them. I was thinking he deliberately left DT off.

Couple opinions:

1. This hurts. Is Cav a great player? No. Would losing a player of his caliber hurt 90% of the teams in the power conferences? Probably not. But for us, he and Moto were two of just five (maybe) proven ACC-caliber players. People just nonchalantly plug McClinton, Overton, Leonard, Wilbekin and Green into our rotation ... none of those guys has done jack in the ACC. I'd feel much more comfortable with at least a starting five's worth of guys who have played quality minutes in the ACC. God forbid McClinton plays like Cam Stanley or Jeremy Ingram, or Wilbekin and Leonard play like they belong at Tulsa and Campbell, or Green contributes what everyone other than Bz and RW expect him to contribute. This team could be worse than Bz's worst team.

2. No, we weren't going to be good this year anyway. But it would be nice if we could be respectable (and I thought with the right coaching, a lineup led by CMM, DT, Moto and Cav could have been respectable). Manning has done almost nothing recruiting-wise so far, and I know there is still a lot of time, but the "exciting new hire" momentum will start to evaporate as soon as we start losing games to the Stetsons and Presbys of the world.

3. Wellman MUST be held accountable at some point. He talked constantly about how, hey, we suck, but it's because [Redacted] is building a foundation. After Bz resigned, RW said, "We feel that we have a very attractive opportunity for someone to come here and continue the process that Jeff has started. With the returning players and the recruits that will be coming in as well as the two players who were not available to us this season, we feel that next year's team can be a very successful team. Whoever comes in will have a pretty good opportunity at making an immediate impact." Ummm ... so much for that. Bz left the cupboard almost completely bare. I'd bet my left nut that Manning, if given truth serum, would say he'd rather have inherited the group Dino left us rather than this group.

4. RW also said after Bz left, "When Jeff told me that he was resigning, he simply told me that there needed to be new energy and leadership to allow these players to achieve their full potential." Yeah, in light of these transfers and now BabyDeac's post, that statement is pretty comical.

5. I'm not on here much, but this bashing of an incoming freshman simply because he probably shouldn't have been offered by [Redacted] ... what the crap, guys?

Couple opinions:

1. This hurts. Is Cav a great player? No. Would losing a player of his caliber hurt 90% of the teams in the power conferences? Probably not. But for us, he and Moto were two of just five (maybe) proven ACC-caliber players. People just nonchalantly plug McClinton, Overton, Leonard, Wilbekin and Green into our rotation ... none of those guys has done jack in the ACC. I'd feel much more comfortable with at least a starting five's worth of guys who have played quality minutes in the ACC. God forbid McClinton plays like Cam Stanley or Jeremy Ingram, or Wilbekin and Leonard play like they belong at Tulsa and Campbell, or Green contributes what everyone other than Bz and RW expect him to contribute. This team could be worse than Bz's worst team.

2. No, we weren't going to be good this year anyway. But it would be nice if we could be respectable (and I thought with the right coaching, a lineup led by CMM, DT, Moto and Cav could have been respectable). Manning has done almost nothing recruiting-wise so far, and I know there is still a lot of time, but the "exciting new hire" momentum will start to evaporate as soon as we start losing games to the Stetsons and Presbys of the world.

3. Wellman MUST be held accountable at some point. He talked constantly about how, hey, we suck, but it's because [Redacted] is building a foundation. After Bz resigned, RW said, "We feel that we have a very attractive opportunity for someone to come here and continue the process that Jeff has started. With the returning players and the recruits that will be coming in as well as the two players who were not available to us this season, we feel that next year's team can be a very successful team. Whoever comes in will have a pretty good opportunity at making an immediate impact." Ummm ... so much for that. Bz left the cupboard almost completely bare. I'd bet my left nut that Manning, if given truth serum, would say he'd rather have inherited the group Dino left us rather than this group.

4. RW also said after Bz left, "When Jeff told me that he was resigning, he simply told me that there needed to be new energy and leadership to allow these players to achieve their full potential." Yeah, in light of these transfers and now BabyDeac's post, that statement is pretty comical.

5. I'm not on here much, but this bashing of an incoming freshman simply because he probably shouldn't have been offered by [Redacted] ... what the crap, guys?

Good post. Pos rep

Back