• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCOTUS decisions

If you have to ask, it can only be because you either didn’t read the opinion or don’t understand it.

Regardless, it doesn’t take a constitutional scholar to get that the chance that new evidence or a new explanation from the Department of Commerce will change Roberts’s mind is infinitesimally small.

Prediction: Roberts changes mind

If you have to ask, it can only be because you either didn’t read the opinion or don’t understand it.

Regardless, it doesn’t take a constitutional scholar to get that the chance that new evidence or a new explanation from the Department of Commerce will change Roberts’s mind is infinitesimally small.

Yes, I'm sure it will be a very compelling new explanation and strong new "evidence" that isn't just complete BS that everyone immediately sees through. But, yeah, Roberts will change his mind because it's all a sham.

I’m sure Junebug’s already working up a rationalization for when the eye of the INFINITESIMALLY SMALL needle is threaded.

My original post was more referring to the original intent of the admin to just ignore the decision and proceed with the question via executive order. And I’m sure junebug has a defense for how that blatant usurpation of power would have been ok.

You aren’t paying very close attention. This board needs a few more Trump apologists to keep things interesting, but I’m not that guy. Sorry to disappoint.

So when he decides to add the question via executive order (ignoring the judicial branch), do you think that will be a serious problem?

You aren’t paying very close attention. This board needs a few more Trump apologists to keep things interesting, but I’m not that guy. Sorry to disappoint.

They've been banned or pushed away due to the group think mentality around here. They've created their perfect little safe space now and will be super duper content until November 2020 when their dreams are once again crushed by the American voter.

Trump is saying he will add the citizenship question without returning to the Supreme Court and regardless of the other case. What do you think about this POTUS acting directly against a SC ruling?

They've been banned or pushed away due to the group think mentality around here. They've created their perfect little safe space now and will be super duper content until November 2020 when their dreams are once again crushed by the American voter.

lol they ran away because they kept making stupid points

You're so brave, Creamy.

Because we all know that nothing really demonstrates the will of the American voter more than winning an election by negative 3 million votes...…..Amirite!!!!!!!

Here's a good article on why an EO doesn't do anything for Trump for the Census question:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...-order-cant-fix-trumps-census-problem/593449/

Who will be punished if the Commerce debate just prints out their Census forms with the citizenship question? I'm getting really tired of "legal scholars" saying Trump can't do this or that because the law says this or that. Laws don't mean anything if they're not enforced. Does the Supreme Court have it's own enforcement arm?

Who will be punished if the Commerce debate just prints out their Census forms with the citizenship question? I'm getting really tired of "legal scholars" saying Trump can't do this or that because the law says this or that. Laws don't mean anything if they're not enforced. Does the Supreme Court have it's own enforcement arm?

They're called US Marshals and they fall under . . . . . . . . DOJ.

Frankly, it's on anyone who has sworn an oath to support and defend the Constitution to disobey an order than is immoral, illegal, or unethical.

ETA: there is also another branch of government, Congress, who is charged with oversight and appropriating money. And your concern is reminiscent of the ancient quote by Pompey: "Stop quoting laws, we carry swords!"

Last edited:

Frankly, it's on anyone who has sworn an oath to support and defend the Constitution to disobey an order than is immoral, illegal, or unethical.

ETA: there is also another branch of government, Congress, who is charged with oversight and appropriating money. And your concern is reminiscent of the ancient quote by Pompey: "Stop quoting laws, we carry swords!"

this US Marshall would do his job

MV5BZWE4NTA2MmMtNDRmYy00ZmFlLWIyNDktZDNkNDUzZTdkY2E3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQ2NDA2ODM@._V1_.jpg

So nothing is going to happen to them.

Translation: I don’t want to publicly admit I support Trump

If you really felt strongly about a particular policy you should be able to defend it. Or maybe you don’t want to admit you support it because you know it’s wrong or hypocritical.

This is laughably false and you know it. Republicans play the victim so well. They left because the current state of the Republican Party is indefensible and they’re too chicken shit to just say they’re ok with everything.

The only people banned were BKF and Lectro (for reasons 06 point out), and JH briefly for posting personal info about a poster. That’s on them, dude. You know, personal responsibility.

That said I’m glad some are still around and hope they stay.

So nothing is going to happen to them.

You're right to be pessimistic, but wrong to be fatalistic. A citizen can:

Contact their Members of Congress and demand:
--Defund any census that asks about citizenship or pass a provision in the Commerce's Authorization Act prohibiting it from asking about citizenship;
--Hold oversight hearings on Department of Commerce's/DOJ's procedures for establishing Census questions pre/post SCOTUS decision;
--Refuse to confirm any political appointees that do not swear to follow SCOTUS decisions;
--Direct USPS to not mail citizenship questionnaires that contain the citizenship question.

I could go on, and of course, Congress could impeach any official (and citizens can contact their Members of Congress to demand such action). If millions of Americans did, elected officials would perhaps not shirk the will of the People so easily.

Separation of powers is a beautiful, and imperfect, thing. It's intended no separate yet co-equal branch of government can "govern" [legislate/appropriate, execute, and interpret] on its own. (Of course there are smaller versions of this in federal agencies, but an executive department cannot go against the expressed statutes of Congress or expressed decision of the federal judiciary). But it requires basic civics on the part of the electorate and the elected, as well as faithful service of those elected and unelected officials in government.

Related: if you don’t support Trump, why do you still identify as Republican?

The GOP as you think you knew it has fully capitulated to Trumpism. Feel free to point me to something that shows otherwise but it’s pretty much clear that they went all in on Trump.

Why not get some of that sweet billionaire money and start a campaign to not answer the census in red states, and promote the census in blue states. If you are a democrat in any republican controlled state throw out your census, if you are a democrat in a blue controlled state make sure to fill it out and help others to fill out there’s. Ohh it’s your civic duty to fill out the census and the law, well we are apparently freely disobeying laws so fuck it.

Back