• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCOTUS decisions

Lots of Republicans held their nose and voted for Trump because of the court.

Enough Democrats didn't vote or didn't vote for Hillary because of reasons.

This is the fallout.

40+ years of judicial decisions impacted. And without a doubt Trunp will only nominate a justice that firmly believes he can pardon himself

Grandma Ginsberg is going to shit when she wakes up in a couple of hours.

what is kennedy doing? he has to know this is a shit show

he couldn't wait 2 more years?

Kennedy is fairly conservative, though he has been more willing to cross the aisle than most. Still, he likely doesn’t really care if the court goes ultra right wing

true, shitshow doesn't begin to describe the destruction of the United States that's currently in process

Roe is in serious danger. Kennedy wrote planned parenthood plurality and was consistent fifth vote upholding it.

Before the election, I made many posts about this being the most important reason Hillary had to win. Her laziness and arrogance will have massively deleterious impact for the next quarter of a century.

40+ years of judicial decisions impacted. And without a doubt Trunp will only nominate a justice that firmly believes he can pardon himself

Yep.

Kennedy would have had to wait until maybe 2024 for a non-Trump Pub President. So why not just retire now?

Before the election, I made many posts about this being the most important reason Hillary had to win. Her laziness and arrogance will have massively deleterious impact for the next quarter of a century.

Stop it.

WELP, Kennedy officially retiring. Is this bad? Seems bad.

Well, Roe v. Wade is clearly in greater danger than it's ever been. And, many of the progressive SC rulings over the last half-century are also in danger of being overturned. If Trump gets to appoint another hard-right SC justice to make it a 6-3 majority, then gay marriage and pretty much everything will be on the table. It's the Evangelicals wet dream come true - take us all back to 1955!

it's crazy to think that my kids' generation will likely have less chance to be better off than my gen and possibly have fewer rights than their great grandparents generation

I'm naive but I don't think conservatives will roll back gay marriage. I think they're more likely to just avoid granting cert on those cases.

Back