• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCOTUS decisions

I'm naive but I don't think conservatives will roll back gay marriage. I think they're more likely to just avoid granting cert on those cases.

Yeah, this is naive for sure. I think the first chance the new SCOTUS gets, it’ll overturn Obergefell.

Libertarians and socially liberal/fiscally conservative people should also be upset by Kennedy's retirement.

Kennedy was a great advocate of individual rights across the board.

Yeah, this is naive for sure. I think the first chance the new SCOTUS gets, it’ll overturn Obergefell.

You think Roberts will join a decision that directly overturns a case from the last five years? Even though he was in the minority in Obergefell I don't think he ignores stare decisis in this instance. Thomas, Alito, and Gorsuch certainly would.

Seems like the law is structured pretty poorly if most judges don't agree on shit 9-0.

You think Roberts will join a decision that directly overturns a case from the last five years? Even though he was in the minority in Obergefell I don't think he ignores stare decisis in this instance. Thomas, Alito, and Gorsuch certainly would.

If he feels that the case was decided on incorrect interpretation of the law, absolutely.

One thing to note: state elections matter more than ever. Volunteer and donate to state-level candidates.

Roberts's dissent in the interstate sales tax case was basically eight pages of stare decisis. I can't see him voting to overturn any of the more progressive 5-4 rulings that have come down during his tenure, even if he may have voted differently if it was a case of first impression.

Kennedy's retirement wouldn't have been as big of an issue had McConnell not prevented the Senate from considering Garland.

Preventing the Senate from doing its job under Article 2 of the Constitution was unconscionable after the President identified his nominee. It has never been about following the Constitution. It has always been about gaming the system.

Also, this is obv the precursor to Trump just abolishing the court systems.

I know you're being sarcastic, but, why would he do that? With these SC retirements and his record numbers of federal judicial appointments at the lower levels, he's setting up right-wingers nicely to control the federal courts for years to come.

Seems like the law is structured pretty poorly if most judges don't agree on shit 9-0.

I know you're trolling, but how would you structure the law on issues like abortion? Further, would you ever expect 9 people to agree on an issue like abortion when they're selected by different presidents from different political parties?

Serious question: are they allowed to have wet dreams, or is that a fast-pass to hell, too?

As they do with all pleasurable activities, they'll tell the young folks it's a sin, do it anyway in private, and if they're caught, console themselves that it's OK for them to do it because they're true, Bible-believin' Christians. It's only the pagan secular humanists who will really go to hell for such activities. It's their way.

Well, you should just keep bitching and make 35,000 more posts on chatboards. That's the surest way to become successful in life.

classic from the guy guy who deleted his posts but definitely has way more than anyone save Ph

must have been hard work fleecing people with shitty life products in your day when you had to walk around and collect the premiums by hand

Back