• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCOTUS decisions

Billy Mitchell

The King of Kong
Reaction score
ABC v. Aereo - SCOTUS essentially shuts down Aereo, saying that rebroadcasting television stations over the internet is "public performance" and therefore a violation of the content owner's copyright.

Riley v. California - The police generally may not without a warrant search digital information on the cellphone seized from an individual who has been arrested. "Cell phones differ in both a quantitative and qualitative sense from other objects that might be carried on an arrestee's person" that can be searches without a warrant. Big win for digital privacy.

Hobby Lobby still pending.

I don't disagree with either of those.

The Riley case should have a relatively large impact on the day-to-day practices of law enforcement I would think. Read a handful of articles about the case and it seems to be a pretty pervasive practice for cops to look at cell phones.

The Riley case should have a relatively large impact on the day-to-day practices of law enforcement I would think. Read a handful of articles about the case and it seems to be a pretty pervasive practice for cops to look at cell phones.

Many of the State Troopers that we work with would routinely check patient's phones after accidents to see if they were texting or playing a game on the phone at the time of the accident. It was pretty much a common policy, even if unwritten.

Many of the State Troopers that we work with would routinely check patient's phones after accidents to see if they were texting or playing a game on the phone at the time of the accident. It was pretty much a common policy, even if unwritten.

Though I hope that first responders can still check phones for ICE information. Might be hard to do that without seeing texts(etc.) coming in, but that could just be inadmissible in court.

Though I hope that first responders can still check phones for ICE information. Might be hard to do that without seeing texts(etc.) coming in, but that could just be inadmissible in court.

Most people tend to have smartphones nowadays that are password protected, but often times if the pt is conscious, we will call a family member for them. Luckily, wrecks that involve multiple people in the same vehicle, there is typically someone from the car that can call for us. The worst are when its a single driver and they arent able to communicate with us at all. It ends up with a cop going to the home address to give them the news.

Which part of the Supreme Court's unannounced decision do you find most dangerous for American life?

It would allow any company to cut off all insurance by simply saying, "My religion precludes me from paying for it."

How could you stop any company from saying they have a Christian Scientist CEO who thinks God will cure you?

What stops any company from cherry-picking other parts of policy.

Further, if you can use religion to deny certain aspects of healthcare, why can't you use religion to deny service to gay people? Or single women?

It would allow any company to cut off all insurance by simply saying, "My religion precludes me from paying for it."

How could you stop any company from saying they have a Christian Scientist CEO who thinks God will cure you?

Further, if you can use religion to deny certain aspects of healthcare, why can't you use religion to deny service to gay people? Or single women?

Interesting. What did the dissent have to say about those issues?

Then how is there a precedent set already?

Hobby Lobby is a very, very dangerous precedent for American life.

It hasn't been decided yet.

oh jesus christ. it's really clear he meant Hobby Lobby's side would set a bad precedent. God damn some of y'all are way too obsessed with poking RJ to the point that he will ruin a thread

The more I read about Aereo, the less I agree with the rationale used. I still agree with the end result.

All Aereo did was take over the air broadcasts and organize them to their subscribers. The subscribers would then watch a personalized feed - not a general rebroadcast.

I'm not sure I agree that this personalized feed is a "public performance" under the Transmit Clause of the copyright act.

I'm rarely that confident I truly understand what RJ means. I don't think it's too much to ask that he at least attempt to construct sentences in a way that conveys the message he is trying to get across. If it was an occasional blip I'd let it go. It's not.

My guess is he think's that if the Supreme Court decides in favor of Hobby Lobby they will adopt his understanding of Hobby Lobby's arguments wholesale without any concern for possible ramifications. That's highly unlikely.

What I said was perfectly clear to anyone who is interested in understanding it rather than starting fights and throwing insults.

Back