• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCOTUS decisions

It’s kind of sad when a professor is more interested in counting words than reading them.

This is so bad. You literally said a 7950 word post was marginally longer than a 1040 word post. I'm not going to give you an entire journal article to read about a topic and get mad if you don't read it. Do the same.

Nah, that’s okay. I teach a law school class on the interpretation of legal texts. I’m pretty happy with what I’ve got.

By the way, if you haven’t gotten your grades back yet, I’ll just caution you not to get your hopes up.

I weep for your students

Maybe it's a prison law class where he mocks those who got caught...or an online "law school".

Junebug, roughly 90% of my Fourteenth Amendment "analysis" was tongue-in-cheek bullshitting and I will admit that it isn't the stringent interpretation that Constitutional Amendments deserve (but we're on a message board so #shrug). But I can't stipulate that there is any substantive difference between regular interpretation of statutes and interpretation of Constitutional Amendments. You have referred to Heller quite a few times in this thread; that decision was largely based on analyzing the text of the Second Amendment as you would any other statute. The large portion of Scalia's Fourth Amendment jurisprudence (also referenced multiple times in this thread) was based on his textual interpretation of "persons, houses, papers, and effects."

I'm a bleeding heart liberal who believes that you should interpret statutes to best effect the purpose of said statutes. I realize we will likely always differ on interpretation methodologies and could argue past each other for tens of pages in this thread, so I'll just concede all the arguments that we've been having so as to stop derailing the thread. But the one point I can't concede is that interpretations are different for Constitutional Amendments and regular legislation.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't get enough of RJ trying to come up with "jokes" about Junebug's adjunct duties.

This is so bad. You literally said a 7950 word post was marginally longer than a 1040 word post. I'm not going to give you an entire journal article to read about a topic and get mad if you don't read it. Do the same.

He doesn’t want you to read Roberts’ dissent lest he be forced to have a conversation about it

Yeah, I’m just an adjunct, so the joke kind of makes itself.

Two of my favorite law professors so far have been adjuncts, so I'm down with them. That being said, the worst law professor I've had was also and adjunct and he had his one-year contract cancelled at winter break because he was so bad, so I guess it goes both ways.

Moral of the story: don't bring in someone who hasn't taught/practiced Evidence in 30 years to teach Evidence.

Wow, you really wasted a lot of time with that post.

Equal protection requires only that likes be treated alike and, as a historical matter, marriage has been defined as a union of one man and one woman for millennia, including at the time of the adoption of the 14th Amendment.

Just because a portion of the country wishes that marriage was still a contractual arrangement between a woman’s father and her husband, primarily concerning ownership of her sexual and reproductive rights, doesn’t mean such a definition is constitutional.

And to be clear, a definition of marriage is only treating likes alike if marriage is serving a purely reproductive function.

And to be clear, a definition of marriage is only treating likes alike if marriage is serving a purely reproductive function.

Which Judge Posner completely destroyed as an argument.

Here in Orange County, we are seeing the impact of the insane, un-American "religious freedom" decisions. The concept of "religious freedom" is being used to kill sex education and including teaching about the LGBTQ community.

I guess there should be no school on Fridays because that is the sabbath for Muslim students. There should be no sports or other activities from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday because some Jewish students and families can't participate.

We aren't a theocracy. The SC shouldn't try to create one.

Kavanaugh: Watergate tapes decision may have been wrong
https://apnews.com/3ea406469d344dd8b2527aed92da6365

“"But maybe Nixon was wrongly decided — heresy though it is to say so. Nixon took away the power of the president to control information in the executive branch by holding that the courts had power and jurisdiction to order the president to disclose information in response to a subpoena sought by a subordinate executive branch official. That was a huge step with implications to this day that most people do not appreciate sufficiently...Maybe the tension of the time led to an erroneous decision," Kavanaugh said in a transcript of the discussion that was published in the January-February 1999 issue of the Washington Lawyer.”

by society

maybe you should ask yourself: why was the institution of marriage created, and why has it been maintained?

You mean by heterosexuals? I have no doubt that there were bigoted assholes throughout history that would want rights for themselves that they wouldn't want for people different from them.

Maybe you should ask yourself why you haven't done more with your degree than teach English as a second language.

Last edited:
Kavanaugh: Watergate tapes decision may have been wrong
https://apnews.com/3ea406469d344dd8b2527aed92da6365

“"But maybe Nixon was wrongly decided — heresy though it is to say so. Nixon took away the power of the president to control information in the executive branch by holding that the courts had power and jurisdiction to order the president to disclose information in response to a subpoena sought by a subordinate executive branch official. That was a huge step with implications to this day that most people do not appreciate sufficiently...Maybe the tension of the time led to an erroneous decision," Kavanaugh said in a transcript of the discussion that was published in the January-February 1999 issue of the Washington Lawyer.”

Sounds about right for our strongman wannabe in the WH.

Brett Kavanaugh Will Fit Right In at the Pro-Corporate Roberts Court: President Trump’s choice for the latest Supreme Court vacancy will continue a trend toward widening America’s power and wealth gaps.

It’s an editorial, not intended as formal legal analysis. Embedded links on site.

Corporate interests haven’t had it so good at the Supreme Court in a long time.

Under Chief Justice John Roberts Jr. the court has given big business a leg up on workers, unions, consumers and the environment — and will do so even more aggressively if the Senate confirms Brett Kavanaugh, President Trump’s choice to replace Justice Anthony Kennedy.

Corporations won the power to spend unlimited amounts of money on political campaigns in the 2010 Citizens United decision. The owners of businesses have earned the right to cite their personal religious beliefs to deprive workers of reproductive health care. At the same time, the justices have made it harder for employees and customers to sue big businesses by allowing corporations to require mandatory arbitration clauses in contracts people are forced to sign if they want jobs or want to buy goods and services. The court has also made it easier for polluters to get away with poisoning the air and water.

In many of these decisions the five conservative justices have shown no restraint in rejecting judicial precedent and in substituting their own judgment for that of lawmakers. Just last month, in a blow to public-sector unions with contracts covering nearly seven million workers, their 5-to-4 ruling dismissed a unanimous 40-year-old decision that state governments and unions had long relied on. In the recent case, Janus v. American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, the court held that government workers covered by union contracts do not have to pay fees for collective bargaining expenses if they are not members. The ruling does not directly involve businesses. But it will hurt all workers because benefits won by unions often establish benchmarks that help improve wages and working conditions even at companies without unions.

Under the Roberts court, between 2005 and 2015, when businesses were either plaintiffs or respondents but not both, businesses prevailed 61 percent of the time, according to a study by Lee Epstein, William Landes and Richard Posner published last year. That compares with a rate of 44 percent when Chief Justice William Rehnquist led the court from 1986 to 2004, and 43 percent when Warren Burger was chief justice from 1969 to 1986.

Analysts have also looked at how rulings compare with positions advocated by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. That organization has been an aggressive champion for the legal interests of big business since at least 1971, when Lewis Powell, later a justice on the Supreme Court, wrote an influential memorandum calling on the group’s leaders to see the court as a “a vast area of opportunity for the Chamber, if it is willing to undertake the role of spokesman for American business and if, in turn, business is willing to provide the funds.”

Mr. Powell was prescient. The Roberts court has sided with the chamber 70 percent of the time from 2006 through the term that concluded a few weeks ago, according to the Constitutional Accountability Center. By comparison, the Rehnquist court ruled in favor of the chamber’s position 56 percent of the time between 1994 and 2005 and the Burger court ruled for it 43 percent of the time between 1981 and 1986, years during which there were no changes in the court’s membership.

Neither the Rehnquist nor the Burger courts could be considered liberal, but the justices that served on them were more likely to have heterodox political views, regardless of whether they were appointed by Republican or Democratic presidents. Over the years, conservative groups like the Federalist Society and the Heritage Foundation have worked to make sure that Republican presidents appoint judges and justices who are reliably pro-corporate. Partly as a result, the Roberts court has been much more adamant in opposing regulation and much more expansive in establishing corporate rights. Chief Justice Roberts and Justice Samuel Alito Jr., both appointed by President George W. Bush, are the most pro-corporate justices since 1946, according to the Epstein, Landes and Posner research.

Judge Kavanaugh, who serves on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, fits neatly into the Roberts-Alito worldview.

In 2012, Judge Kavanaugh wrote an appeals court opinion striking down an Environmental Protection Agency rule that required upwind states to reduce power plant emissions that cause smog and soot pollution in downwind states, a decision that was later struck down by a 6-to-2 majority of the Supreme Court. And in 2016, he wrote an opinion that said the leadership structure of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau was unconstitutional because Congress decided that the president could only fire its director for cause. The full appeals court reversed that portion of his decision in January.

In a dissent last year from a decision involving net neutrality rules put in place by the Federal Communications Commission, Judge Kavanaugh wrote that the F.C.C. did not have the authority to issue the rules — despite a Supreme Court ruling saying it did. He wrote that by prohibiting broadband companies from interfering with information that customers tried to get over the internet, the rules violated the companies’ First Amendment rights. As the majority noted, his interpretation would allow a broadband company to hold itself out as a neutral provider of access to all websites, then block or impede access to competing services.

Judge Kavanaugh dissented again when the appeals court upheld a Department of Labor decision that found SeaWorld had violated workplace safety laws by not adequately protecting a trainer who was killed by the orca Tilikum, made famous by the movie “Blackfish.” The judge argued that the department overstepped its authority by regulating sports and entertainment — something he argued it had not done before. In fact, the government has previously regulated safety in the entertainment industry and other workplaces where workers were killed by dangerous animals.

The court’s pro-corporate decisions are widening the chasm in power and wealth between the country’s elite and everybody else. And the Roberts court is also increasingly preventing lawmakers, regulators and the public from doing anything about that growing problem.

Back