• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCOTUS decisions

The whole point was delay until after the election because the information made public would hurt his re-election chances when the economy and the country was humming along. Now it becomes more obvious he is fucked when he leaves office, and the country is In shambles making his re-election in serious trouble. A wounded caged animal here we go.

The whole point was delay until after the election because the information made public would hurt his re-election chances when the economy and the country was humming along. Now it becomes more obvious he is fucked when he leaves office, and the country is In shambles making his re-election in serious trouble. A wounded caged animal here we go.

Yeah, the fact that prosecutors can get his tax returns spells potential criminal charges. His only way of holding that off and then manipulating the system is winning re-election.

Man - this is going to be wild. I'm predicting Trump continues to defy the order and will not release his tax returns. He'll reason that the worst he can do is be held in contempt and be arrested, but he will think that won't happen because he's a sitting President.

The way I understand it, they didn't subpoena trump, they subpoenaed the banks. So he can't block the release of his financial records, only the banks could do that.

But I don't think we'll see any tax returns publicized before the election

Do people feel like those tax returns will show anything of interest? I would just assume he is lying on those as well. Unless the endgame is to get Trump for tax fraud, which this would likely assist with.

Do people feel like those tax returns will show anything of interest? I would just assume he is lying on those as well. Unless the endgame is to get Trump for tax fraud, which this would likely assist with.

Nahh. Trump's only been hiding them for years because they're boring.

Nahh. Trump's only been hiding them for years because they're boring.

No, they’re being audited. It started in at least 2015 when he announced his campaign and still going on 5 years later. Very normal IRS stuff.

It’s unlikely there will be some bombshell front page news line on the tax return like “Income from Russia.” There won’t be an obvious area showing the layman reader that he’s like money laundering or anything. The public embarrassment might come from stuff like he doesn’t make much money or doesn’t pay any taxes from loss carry forwards but that won’t stick. It’ll be pretty dense. Journalists will probably not handle it well either, kind of like the articles being like “GE pays no taxes!!!” when reading a 10-Q for book income tax expense. So maybe embarrassing but not entirely accurate.

But it’ll be a real problem for Trump when investigators with expertise are able to use them to piece together his crimes. He’ll be fucked after office.

Uh the dude is definitely money laundering.

Yes I think so too. But that won’t be apparent on his tax returns to a layman reader or a journalist, that’s my point. It’ll be like getting an extremely heavily redacted Mueller report. On its own it won’t tell the story but it’s a piece of the puzzle that will.

4D3OWOJFN5EDBO7JK5BI6FS5HA.jpg

Fuck off with that shit Angus. Even giving you the extreme benefit of the doubt, let's say she willfully lied and exaggerated about being Native American. All of Trumpism is a lie, from the racist lie that Obama wasn't really American, to the lies we're learning about every day like Trump couldn't take his own SATs (a disqualifying attribute for every other candidate ever). You know why those lies don't bother you? Because you're in a cult.

The McGirt case, the OK/Indian land case, came up as the result of a child molester that was convicted in state court; he challenged the ruling claiming that the state court has no jurisdiction over action taken on Indian land. Based on the SCOTUS ruling, state courts have no jurisdiction over crimes committed in a massive very populated (for OK) part of the state. FWIW, the land at issue contains over 2 million people, including the City of Tulsa (the second biggest city in the state). To state the obvious, the decision creates a massive problem for essentially every local government issue that involves a ton of people, including who owns land, a massive amount of criminal convictions, civil judgements, zoning, school districts, taxes. A mess. Gorsuch wrote the decision. Roberts dissented. Crazy.

Last edited:
As I understand it, the decision only discusses sovereignty wrt the legal system, not land ownership. But it's huge for tribal sovereignty and especially with the comment on tribal authority over what happens with its own children.

I'm am fascinated by this case, we listened to Nagle's This Land podcast on our drive to MA last year that uses this case as the frame to explore native rights in the US.

https://crooked.com/podcast-series/this-land/

I'm listening to This Land now. Definitely worth listening to if interested. Nagle also wrote this about the argument that a ton of criminal cases would be thrown out:

Oklahoma’s Suspect Argument in Front of the Supreme Court

The irony of Oklahoma’s argument that the Supreme Court decision could open a floodgate of appeals is that the gate is already open. Since the Tenth Circuit took Murphy’s side in 2017, jailhouse lawyers have been helping people file writs and petitions across the state. There are clusters from certain prisons; someone even made a standard form that petitioners can fill out with their name and case details. Rather than a slew of new federal trials, these 140-plus petitions and writs have produced a slew of denials and dismissals. In layman‘s terms, they’ve resulted in court filings and paperwork, not releases or new trials.

Within all the cases that have come up since 2017, Oklahoma courts are holding a small batch—we identified fewer than 40–until the Supreme Court makes its decision. Almost universally in these cases, inmates made the reservation claim in their initial appeal and would also qualify for federal habeas relief. In other words, even if the Court finds that eastern Oklahoma is largely reservation land, it looks like the net impact of three years of inmates filing reservation claims would be a few dozen new trials.

Justice Ginsberg hospitalized at Johns Hopkins Hospital for treatment of an infection and opening of bile duct stent.

Back