• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

World Cup Knockout Rounds Thread (USMNT THREAD!) (nwt)

deacvision7

Mod Emeritus
Reaction score
Here is the bracket. Games start Saturday. USA plays Belgium on Tuesday at 4pm EST.

world-cup-tournament-bracket.jpg

Belgium, Argentina, Netherlands path to the final? NBD.

My fucking dick would explode if we faced off against Louis van Gaal in the semi-final.

There are three teams on there that I look at and think "there's NFW we beat them." And they're all on the other half of the bracket.

There are three teams on there that I look at and think "there's NFW we beat them." And they're all on the other half of the bracket.

Our most likely QF opponent doesn't fit that description to you?!?!

Our most likely QF opponent doesn't fit that description to you?!?!

This Argentina team is totally beatable. Aguero out, sloppy defense and a sketchy keeper. Not likely that the US would beat them but it's not crazy.

Argentina fans are not optimistic about their chances. Relying far too much on Messi once again.

The Netherlands is going to roll. The big orange machine is going to wear out Mexico.

This Argentina team is totally beatable. Aguero out, sloppy defense and a sketchy keeper. Not likely that the US would beat them but it's not crazy.

Aguero being out may actually make them better. He is a better player than Lavezzi. But Lavezzi is willing to play wide in a way Aguero simply won't do. And that makes them more dynamic IMO.

Not sure I buy into this notion the defense is all that shaky either. They have been hit on the counter. That's fair. But generally speaking that back four is one most teams would love to have. They yielded only 15 goals in qualifying too.

Aguero being out is only a positive in the sense that he wasn't 100% anyway or anywhere close to it right now. In no way does Lavezzi offer more than Kun when they are both fit and 100% -- especially in Argentina's apparent 4-3-1-2 set up with Messi operating at the trequartista+.

Aguero has sucked because he clearly isn't fit. Some of his best goals for Man City have come from his creeping wide and cutting inside.

Their defense has looked a lot better than I expected it to, no doubt. I still wouldn't trust Rojo if I was an Argentinian.

I have nothing to add at this point but I'm posting here to make this thread easier to find in the future

america_fuck_yeah_by_sidneymadmax-d57hxnx.jpg

Yup, that's a Belgian with an American flag on his arm. Even The Muscles from Brussels knows what's up

Aguero being out is only a positive in the sense that he wasn't 100% anyway or anywhere close to it right now. In no way does Lavezzi offer more than Kun when they are both fit and 100% -- especially in Argentina's apparent 4-3-1-2 set up with Messi operating at the trequartista+.

Aguero has sucked because he clearly isn't fit. Some of his best goals for Man City have come from his creeping wide and cutting inside.

Their defense has looked a lot better than I expected it to, no doubt. I still wouldn't trust Rojo if I was an Argentinian.

Rojo has been very solid so far. But who can get all excited about a guy with not a ton of experience playing on this stage. Fair enough.

I think the key player, oddly, is Gago. His link up play is critical. It becomes a bit less important with Lavezzi in there. No doubt Aguero is a better all around player than Lavezzi. Totally agree there. But if Lavezzi is in the game there will be more room in the middle of the field. And if there is one thing Higuain is good at doing it is laying off balls into space for people to run onto - a la Leo Messi. Aguero puts a different type of dimension into their attack. He can run at people. But how much use is that really when you already have Di Maria and Messi wandering all over the damn field? Lavezzi is not someone you can just leave alone out there. You have to mark him. And he will work off the ball and will be willing to play wide. Say what you will about Aguero dv7 but he isn't laying in crosses from out wide for anyone. Lavezzi will create space just by stepping over the white line. At least against teams like the Swiss or the U.S. that makes the Argies more, not less dymanic. Against the likes of Germany, etc. it matters less. They aren't going to pack it in and force you to play less centrally in order to attack them.

Really hate that 4/5 South American teams are in the same quarter.

Back