• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

McCreary Indoor Practice Center - Collegiate Arms Race Thread

The monorail station can easily be at street level with the amphitheater below. Non-issue. And there's plenty of room for the mechanical bull with elevated spectator seating.

What about the Colossus of Wake/Rhodes?

Work continues on the addition to Reynolds Gym (photos from Friday, 6/26). It's part of a larger project to renovate and enlarge Reynolds Gym for the benefit of regular (i.e., non varsity sport) students, faculty and staff. This addition will not serve as the proposed new sports conditioning center/basketball practice facility, which will be located between the Manchester Center and the new, under-construction indoor (football) practice center. The proposed conditioning center building will get started once the members of the OGB board step up and donate $30M for its construction.

Reynolds%20Gym%206-26-15%2001-L.jpg

Reynolds%20Gym%206-26-15%2002-L.jpg

Is there cash left over from the billboard fund raiser?

Had the privilege of being on campus this week. I had been following the work on the McCreary building on here and on Twitter. I knew it was big, but to be there and see it in person is amazing. When that complex is completed, it will be a huge recruiting draw.

Is the brick building on the right side of the McCreary building coming down?

I thought Ben Sutton donated 10 million to the sports performance center .

Both Ben Sutton and Bob McCreary have committed to a matching gift program. I believe they will contribute 50 cents for every dollar raised by the Deacon Club up to a point in time. If I am not mistaken, the Deacon Club has to raise $20M by that time and if they do, Ben and Bob will donate the additional $10M. If you are inclined to make a gift. . .do it now, because Bob and Ben will enhance your gift.

We really, really need this Sports Performance Facility. It will be a huge difference maker with recruits. Perhaps more than the Field House.

Both Ben Sutton and Bob McCreary have committed to a matching gift program. I believe they will contribute 50 cents for every dollar raised by the Deacon Club up to a point in time. If I am not mistaken, the Deacon Club has to raise $20M by that time and if they do, Ben and Bob will donate the additional $10M. If you are inclined to make a gift. . .do it now, because Bob and Ben will enhance your gift.

We really, really need this Sports Performance Facility. It will be a huge difference maker with recruits. Perhaps more than the Field House.
I believe it is until April of 2016. It doesn't just have to be immediate gifts, any pledges made before the deadline count towards the total. At least that's the way it was explained to me. They will be highlighting this more once the football season starts and will have a big campaign.

Wonder why they didn't go with Field Turf like FB and Baseball?

New%20soccer%20field%2003-L.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Because no one wants to play soccer on field turf.
There was criticism over the field turf being used for the Women's World Cup. I doubt they'll make that mistake again without significant improvements to the turf.

Wonder why they didn't go with Field Turf like FB and Baseball?

New%20soccer%20field%2003-L.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Soccer on turf is the epitome of amateur hour. No way a top 25 program would do that unless they are in the north and have to

So the Deacon Club has to raise $20M without getting any of that from Sutton or McCreary? That seems ambitious

They seem pretty confident about pulling it off.

Out of curiosity, what is the criticism of field turf for soccer?

The balls make sense and I saw the pictures of the knees around the World Cup.

I guess there is a lot more sliding per player in soccer than there is football.

I've played rugby on field turf which was pretty miserable but it was also snowing.

There's a lot more pads in football as well.

Back