• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

McCreary Indoor Practice Center - Collegiate Arms Race Thread

Soccer players may skin their elbows while rolling around faking an injury on turf.

Soccer on turf is the epitome of amateur hour. No way a top 25 program would do that unless they are in the north and have to

I assumed the same thing for baseball, and yet...

I understand why baseball does field turf. You don't have to drag the field but once every month (if a lot of baseball is played on it). The up-keep is easier and cheaper. The field plays true and you can fly on it (personal preference).

Out of curiosity, what is the criticism of field turf for soccer?
I feel like this should go without saying, but soccer is the only sport of those we've discussed where pretty much all of the ball's action occurs on the ground. The ball doesn't behave naturally on artificial surfaces, no matter how realistic. Comparing it to rugby or football for that reason is silly, though you might (and have) compared falling and sliding etc.). Field hockey is an increasing counterpoint, because they (at least in the US) generally won't play on field turf because it is too *slow*. Wetted astro-turf is preferred even over natural grass, and that's what we've got in Kentner.

I understand why baseball does field turf. You don't have to drag the field but once every month (if a lot of baseball is played on it). The up-keep is easier and cheaper. The field plays true and you can fly on it (personal preference).

The upkeep part all makes sense, but I have a hard time fathoming playing baseball without clay around the bases.

The upkeep part all makes sense, but I have a hard time fathoming playing baseball without clay around the bases.

I hate artificial turf for Baseball. Well maintained low cut grass is perfect.

I feel like this should go without saying, but soccer is the only sport of those we've discussed where pretty much all of the ball's action occurs on the ground. The ball doesn't behave naturally on artificial surfaces, no matter how realistic. Comparing it to rugby or football for that reason is silly, though you might (and have) compared falling and sliding etc.). Field hockey is an increasing counterpoint, because they (at least in the US) generally won't play on field turf because it is too *slow*. Wetted astro-turf is preferred even over natural grass, and that's what we've got in Kentner.

Plus playing on an artificial surface is standard at the highest levels of field hockey these days. It's not like soccer where grass is the standard and the artificial surfaces are trying to replicate it

The upkeep on artificial fields is not cheaper. Total cost of the life of the surface is roughly $100,000-200,000 more. However, take the baseball team as an example, the lost dates (mainly practice dates at that point of the year weather wise in W-S) due to poor weather conditions are virtually eliminated. With the early start to games now (Mid February) that is a huge asset to a program. Practice time is extremely valuable.

Programs are also able to get onto a field, get their work in, and get off and back to class/studies/Teds Kicken Chicken much quicker due to maintenance practices being different.

The ball doesn't behave naturally on artificial surfaces, no matter how realistic..

???
Wouldn't a consistently even surface be more natural/predictable than grass that has uneven wear with partial live and partial dead spots?

???
Wouldn't a consistently even surface be more natural/predictable than grass that has uneven wear with partial live and partial dead spots?

Consistent does not equal natural.

Balls on turf skip and take weird bounces, instead of rolling naturally.

Bob -

Any idea why one side of the new Reynolds addition ( facing Kentner ) is slanted below the other ?

Also, anyone know how high the IPC will be on the center line ? VT's building looks taller albeit with a curved roofline while Wake's will have peaked roof. Reportedly VT's IPC has a max center line height of 85 feet.

Any idea why one side of the new Reynolds addition ( facing Kentner ) is slanted below the other ?

Are you referring to the fact that there's different elevation on each side of the building (front vs back)?

reynolds-gym-northeast-aerial.jpg

Also, anyone know how high the IPC will be on the center line ? VT's building looks taller albeit with a curved roofline while Wake's will have peaked roof. Reportedly VT's IPC has a max center line height of 85 feet.

We didn't build ours for punting. It's plenty high for everything else.

Last edited:
the way kinal punts we could probably practice punting in there

Thanks for that rendering Racer. Do we know what's planned for that lower level of the building ?

So... financed by Christian Grey? Resourceful fundraising.

So... financed by Christian Grey? Resourceful fundraising.

Actually, it was originally designed while [Redacted] was still coaching. He requested it's design thinking he'd be at Wake for the long term. It was going to be called the "culture lounge". Don't let the shitty ties fool you...he has other uses for those ties off the court.

Back