• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

McCreary Indoor Practice Center - Collegiate Arms Race Thread

It's a headscratcher. But anyway, great that our football players get to practice inside when there's summer lightning.

And every other varsity sport - male and female - when in season as well. Money well invested.

Amazingly, I was in Tribble a few months ago, and they actually have spent some money updating the interior finishes in there. The ROI in alumni donations from all of us pathetic Tribblite humanities kids has got to be dwarfed by the surgeons and what not coming out of the science buildings, plus science actually can get real federal grant dollars. It's a headscratcher. But anyway, great that our football players get to practice inside when there's summer lightning. Can't fall behind FSU on that front.

Most of those alums also have graduate institutions diluting their donor capacity.

Amazingly, I was in Tribble a few months ago, and they actually have spent some money updating the interior finishes in there. The ROI in alumni donations from all of us pathetic Tribblite humanities kids has got to be dwarfed by the surgeons and what not coming out of the science buildings, plus science actually can get real federal grant dollars. It's a headscratcher. But anyway, great that our football players get to practice inside when there's summer lightning. Can't fall behind FSU on that front.

Unfortunately, you really can't write updating facilities into a grant proposal for research. Maybe you can get some new equipment, but not new carpeting.

Yeah, those things were old when we were there PH. I can't imagine what they look like now.

Saw those buildings for the first time in 18 years this past weekend. They look amazing from the outside I can say for sure.

The size of the indoor football facility was a shock to me. It's massive.

Yeah I love the months of June and December when they're making the last push for the fiscal year and reminding me that there is still time to make my tax deductible gift for the year.

Annoying emails X3

Unfortunately, you really can't write updating facilities into a grant proposal for research. Maybe you can get some new equipment, but not new carpeting.

Not true. http://dpcpsi.nih.gov/orip/diic/non_arra

Research Facilities Improvement Program (C06)

Grants are provided through the Research Facilities Improvement Program (RFIP) to expand, remodel, renovate, or alter existing research facilities or construct new biomedical research facilities. These facilities must support basic and/or clinical biomedical and behavioral research, and they may also support biomedical research training. The RFIP awards do not support construction of unfinished shell space; research instrumentation or moveable equipment; land acquisition; or off-site improvements.
The applicant institution must plan, direct, and execute the propose construction project for both of these improvement programs. Facilities and administrative costs or continuation costs are not provided for these construction awards.

Still, I'm guessing most researchers are more focused on basic research funding and hope instead that their institutions will support their infrastructure.

I'm not sure how I feel about undergrad classes going off-campus, but soon students will have new lab and classroom space downtown in Innovation Quarter. http://oldgoldandblack.com/?p=46549

“An undergraduate presence in Wake Forest Innovation Quarter would add to the growing synergy among the city’s academic institutions, while supporting intellectual collaboration, research opportunities and community engagement,” President Nathan Hatch said.
“Our interest in the Wake Forest Innovation Quarter allows us to explore fully the intersection of arts and science, scholarship and entrepreneurship and tradition and innovation,” he said.

Sooo many meaningless buzzwords.

Not true. http://dpcpsi.nih.gov/orip/diic/non_arra

Research Facilities Improvement Program (C06)

Grants are provided through the Research Facilities Improvement Program (RFIP) to expand, remodel, renovate, or alter existing research facilities or construct new biomedical research facilities. These facilities must support basic and/or clinical biomedical and behavioral research, and they may also support biomedical research training. The RFIP awards do not support construction of unfinished shell space; research instrumentation or moveable equipment; land acquisition; or off-site improvements.
The applicant institution must plan, direct, and execute the propose construction project for both of these improvement programs. Facilities and administrative costs or continuation costs are not provided for these construction awards.

Still, I'm guessing most researchers are more focused on basic research funding and hope instead that their institutions will support their infrastructure.

It's the administrators that apply for those grants. Also most NIH grants include a facilities component that usually is an additional 25% tacked onto the requested amount and given directly to the institution for support services but can be used for facilities upgrades. At least that's the way it was a number of years ago.

Also institutions take a good deal off the top in indirect costs that could go toward facilities.

Too bad the other kids aren't building biology and chemistry buildings.

The nerve of some people deciding how they are going to donate their money. What's the world coming to, when others can't decide how you give your money.

Ok. So if I donate money for the Tylerkong sex dungeon, Wake has to build it?

Ok. So if I donate money for the Tylerkong sex dungeon, Wake has to build it?

It would depend on the gift agreement, but if Wake accepts the money with that stipulation, generally, yes. I would assume the Wake gift acceptance policy would dictate that the money not be accepted though.

Back