• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

McCreary Indoor Practice Center - Collegiate Arms Race Thread

Yeah let's spend millions of dollars building another building, pimping ourselves out trying compete where we have no chance. Wake Forest is no longer the place I knew 100 years ago, when the only facilities for football where a field and a hill to run for conditioning. Student-athletes were students first, athletes second.

Via Deacon Club site as of 12/4/15....

McCreary Field House

The enormous building emerging behind the Miller Center is a statement facility for the future of our athletic program. The $21 million McCreary Field House is a state-of-the-art 120 yard indoor turf field scheduled to be completed in January 2016. Imagine putting a roof over our BB&T Field and moving it to campus. On a recent tour I witnessed the graphics being installed along with the final touches of McCreary Field House that will undoubtedly be used 365 days of the year for football as well as many of our other outdoor sports programs. We plan to dedicate McCreary Field House at a ceremony on February 24 prior to the Notre Dame basketball game. Make plans to join us as we celebrate perhaps the largest building on campus.

So we're a month behind the original 12/2015 completion time.

D4L

Yes DG. Totally different project. It's not funded completely yet, but I think we are getting closer. The SPC is the project that Ben Sutton and Bob McCreary offered matching funds. Basically, if the Deacon Club could come up with $10M, they would each put in $5M. Something like that. I think the entire project is $32M.

Again from Deacon Club as of 12/4/15....

The final phase encompasses the Strength and Conditioning Center including football and basketball offices, heritage areas and a nutrition center for all of our student-athletes. We are currently $9 million away from achieving this lofty goal and completing the match offered up by Ben Sutton and Bob McCreary. Once complete, the Sports Performance Center will put Wake Forest in a class of programs with the best facilities in the country and allow our coaches to excel in recruiting as well as developing our current student-athletes to their full potential. For more information on the Sports Performance Center, click here.

So we're a long way from raising the $10 million needed for the Sutton/McCreary $5 million each match. Deadline is 3/31/16.

Bob -

What is that huge pile of dirt off in the distance out on the golf practice area ?

If there is already an area designated for the Sports Performance Center, I can't imagine that it would go unfunded. Even if some 2016 annual athletic funds have to get diverted, I'd guess that it's pretty much a done deal. But who knows...

If there is already an area designated for the Sports Performance Center, I can't imagine that it would go unfunded. Even if some 2016 annual athletic funds have to get diverted, I'd guess that it's pretty much a done deal. But who knows...

All those "we'll match if you raise x" deals are always pretty much done, as far as I can tell, it's just a trick to get more money, or motivate people. It's a different scale, but they do it all the time in public radio/television, and I think something similar happened when Wake was raising money for the jumbotron at the football stadium. I'm guessing you're right, and I think McCreary and Sutton are probably on the hook for their portion of the cash regardless of what the Deacon Club does in the next few months.

It must be nice to be so rich that even your tax deductible donations even get you lifelong "benefits" from the university. If I had Facebook/Google money (lolololol), our facilities would be absurd. I model them after Kentucky basketball and Alabama football, but make them twice as expensive just to one up them.

Bob -

What is that huge pile of dirt off in the distance out on the golf practice area ?

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure that is about where the new golf clubhouse is going. It's called the Haddock House, or something similar after Jesse Haddock. They've already built a decent portion of it last time I was over that way but I doubt you would be able to see it from where Bob is taking those pictures.

I know they hauled a large amount of the dirt removed for the practice center over there to fill in around construction.

Clawson's twitter had a couple of pictures today of the indoor.

Asil had a inside video on twitter of the indoor today.

I have no idea how to link to these.

Last edited:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Soon to be new temporary football weight room. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoDeacs?src=hash">#GoDeacs</a> <a href="https://t.co/92nmRYMGZN">pic.twitter.com/92nmRYMGZN</a></p>— Dave Clawson (@CoachClawson) <a href="https://twitter.com/CoachClawson/status/676440552989204480">December 14, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thanks

Back