• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

McCreary Indoor Practice Center - Collegiate Arms Race Thread

Some photos from today of the completed McCreary Field House and the construction of the new outdoor practice fields.

Field%20house%203-17-16%2010.jpg

Field%20house%203-17-16%2005.jpg

Field%20house%203-17-16%2013.jpg

Field%20house%203-17-16%2012.jpg

Field%20house%203-17-16%2003.jpg

Field%20house%203-17-16%2011.jpg

Field%20house%203-17-16%2008.jpg

Field%20house%203-17-16%2004.jpg

Field%20house%203-17-16%2014.jpg
Empty building with no players. Looks a lot like the Joel.

Does this looks as out-of-context on campus as I imagine it does?

Without the trees/bushes, spies can camp out in the old law school like they did back in the day.

The Sutton Center looks much better there than the old tennis stadium

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Andre Agassi and Michael Chang hit balls on the old tennis courts. Sad to see it go.

The Sutton Center looks much better there than the old tennis stadium

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

So, anybody know what is being done to honor Coach Leighton, for whom the former Tennis Stadium was named? Or is his honoring going the way of the Groves?

For some reason I thought they were changing the orientation of the fields. Those aren't much different than what was there before, right?

I thought they said there at one point too. That could have been a couple of years ago though.

Are we ever going to practice football outside again or are we going to stay inside and then be surprised when the wind takes the footballs and blows them away from our receivers? Just saying because that deal in our paper a couple of weeks ago was right surprising when Coach said our QB's didn't throw well in a scrimmage because of the wind. It's not like we have to use the McCreary Center every single day when there is no rain, right? Most indoor centers were started in the built by the pro teams in the cold North so they could practice without freezing their butts off at -6 every day. But we have had some nice days in March & April. New center, like opening a Christmas present and all, but football is made to play outside and indoor centers usually are used when their is bad weather. Oh well, now we have the rest of the spring, all the hot summer.......

Condition of the practice fields, as seen in the photos above, probably keeps the team from using them. Let's hope that they are done by the time fall practice starts, at least the field turf one. The grass might still be setttling in on the regular grass field. I'm betting it doesn't get used as much, except when Wake is going to play teams with natural grass fields.

They had to use the McCreary Field House everyday during spring practice because the outdoor fields have been under renovation since late winter. I'm sure that the new outdoor practice fields will both be ready well before the start of fall practice and will be put to good use any day that the weather is nice.

Also, I don't think there is any real value in practicing in bad weather. Practice is about learning assignments, making reads, learning techniques, etc. and not about learning how to run, pass and tackle on a windy, rainy or cold day. On game day the weather is what it is for both teams. I don't think one team gets any advantage from having practiced outside in weather conditions that happen to correspond to the weather conditions that occur on game day. Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma and Michigan State are good teams because they have good players who have been coached well and not because they are skilled at playing in bad weather conditions.

The Vikings and Packers would disagree with you.

The Vikings and Packers would disagree with you.

The Vikings have played in a dome all but 2 of the last 34 seasons, and will be moving back into a domed stadium this year. Both the Packers and Vikings have indoor practice facilities.

They had the ability to go practice at the stadium outside I would think. It is something I would think you have to monitor. I think a lot of NFL dome teams stay outside before playing outside.

Are we ever going to practice football outside again or are we going to stay inside and then be surprised when the wind takes the footballs and blows them away from our receivers? Just saying because that deal in our paper a couple of weeks ago was right surprising when Coach said our QB's didn't throw well in a scrimmage because of the wind. It's not like we have to use the McCreary Center every single day when there is no rain, right? Most indoor centers were started in the built by the pro teams in the cold North so they could practice without freezing their butts off at -6 every day. But we have had some nice days in March & April. New center, like opening a Christmas present and all, but football is made to play outside and indoor centers usually are used when their is bad weather. Oh well, now we have the rest of the spring, all the hot summer.......

Nope, never going to use them again. That's why we are spending the money to renovate them.

Back