• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

McCreary Indoor Practice Center - Collegiate Arms Race Thread

They had to use the McCreary Field House everyday during spring practice because the outdoor fields have been under renovation since late winter. I'm sure that the new outdoor practice fields will both be ready well before the start of fall practice and will be put to good use any day that the weather is nice.

Also, I don't think there is any real value in practicing in bad weather. Practice is about learning assignments, making reads, learning techniques, etc. and not about learning how to run, pass and tackle on a windy, rainy or cold day. On game day the weather is what it is for both teams. I don't think one team gets any advantage from having practiced outside in weather conditions that happen to correspond to the weather conditions that occur on game day. Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma and Michigan State are good teams because they have good players who have been coached well and not because they are skilled at playing in bad weather conditions.

Bob, what about BB & T Field? We scrimmaged there the Thursday week before the Black & Gold scrimmage I think and that apparently must have been the first time outdoors when the QB play was bad according to the article in the paper. Just led me to wonder how much we will use the Center vs practice outside in the future?

Bob, what about BB & T Field? We scrimmaged there the Thursday week before the Black & Gold scrimmage I think and that apparently must have been the first time outdoors when the QB play was bad according to the article in the paper. Just led me to wonder how much we will use the Center vs practice outside in the future?

I believe I remember Clawson saying that when the outdoor fields are ready, practice will be routinely outside if weather permits, and only inside if bad weather, as you would expect.

Let me get this straight...

We complain about our lack of competitiveness within the ACC due to our facilities.
We build one of the nicest indoor facilities in the conference (at a pretty good cost to donors).
We renovate the outside facilities to make them better for the future.

...and now we have fans complaining about our team practicing at the new indoor facilities while those outside are being renovated.

Unbelievable.

Let me get this straight...

We complain about our lack of competitiveness within the ACC due to our facilities.
We build one of the nicest indoor facilities in the conference (at a pretty good cost to donors).
We renovate the outside facilities to make them better for the future.

...and now we have fans complaining about our team practicing at the new indoor facilities while those outside are being renovated.

Unbelievable.

Are you new here?

Walked around campus a couple weeks ago and couldn't believe how different it looks down by the practice field now. With the trees all removed and nothing between the road and the IPF, that area doesn't even seem familiar.

You can see the new dorm in the background of your first two pictures, too.

Undergrad enrollment approaching 5000: :eek:

Undergraduate Students 4,867
Women 2,557 (52.5%)
Men 2,310 (47.5%)

Would love to be involved with the construction company getting all of these contracts.

Here are the enrollment trends over the past 20 years http://ir.wfu.edu/files/2015_2016_p14.pdf

To be honest, the total growth is not all that much. Averaged about +90 per year over a 20 year period......including all undergrad and post grad.
It seems like the investments/growth in facilities has been significantly outpaced the student population growth.
Guess that's a key reason why the cost has increased so much.

Yall do know hatch started in 2005, right?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

-This 95,000-square-foot multi-use building will feature a larger, state-of-the-art strength and conditioning area that will include both weight rooms and cardio areas
-Dedicated space for nutrition
-Will house football and men’s and women’s basketball coaches’ offices, team meeting areas and other programmable space

It's not mentioned in your link, but I thought the facility included a new practice gym for men's bball in the "walkover" portion between Miller and the SPC.

Edit: Manning's page mentions it: http://coachdmanning.com/new-facilities/

Edit again: looks like it's now considered a separate project from the SPC. Anyone know any details on when it's likely to get built? http://wakewill.wfu.edu/inspire-excellence/basketball-practice-gym

Last edited:
"The new athletics center will also feature a brand new basketball practice facility that is dedicated solely to the men’s basketball program."

May I ask how this differs from what we already have in the Miller Center? And if it does differ, what becomes of the Miller Center? (It seems we've had these dedicated facilities and then learn later that they were half-assed in some way.)

How old is the Miller Center? Can't be more than 12-15 years. Why do we need a new basketball practice facility? Does any of this stuff lead to actual wins and program growth.

Back