• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

McCreary Indoor Practice Center - Collegiate Arms Race Thread

Looks like you'll be able to kick. Not punt. You want to practice in Conditions anyway. And our last game is late nov, early December. (Aside form bowl games). We aren't in canada, so I don't see the huge need for indoor facility, but it does allow for a more efficient offensive practice if it's wet.

Looks like you'll be able to kick. Not punt. You want to practice in Conditions anyway. And our last game is late nov, early December. (Aside form bowl games). We aren't in canada, so I don't see the huge need for indoor facility, but it does allow for a more efficient offensive practice if it's wet.

However, if we punt the way we do in some games, they could punt in there.

There are about 5 practices a year, especially in the summer, than have delays because of lightning. Probably more of a recruiting tool than anything else.

I'm definitely joking. Really fantastic! Really really needed, along with the weight center. After the new weight center goes in, would like to see them expand the practice locker room and players lounge into where the old weight room is. Last major thing needing upgrading.

The practice locker room is pretty nice.

It was an absolute piece of garbage your freshman year.

As much as Grobe loved to punt (as in from the other team's 35), I am surprised he didn't build a punting specific facility.

The practice locker room is pretty nice.

It was an absolute piece of garbage your freshman year.

No doubt. I don't like the current setup though. A bit claustrophobic. I like an oval or rectangle with all the lockers on the outside. It lends itself to getting to know your teammates better. And there will be room for it with no use of the crappy thing they call a weight room now.

If clawson can really get interest of stud 3-4 star prospects, which I think he's demonstrated so far, why stop improving. This would also be the cheapest upgrade compared to indoor facility, weight room, video board etc. "just" knock down some walls. And re-carpet/drywall, etc.

McCreary Indoor Practice Center

Yeah. That's a good point. It is really sectioned off.

No doubt. I don't like the current setup though. A bit claustrophobic. I like an oval or rectangle with all the lockers on the outside. It lends itself to getting to know your teammates better. And there will be room for it with no use of the crappy thing they call a weight room now.

If clawson can really get interest of stud 3-4 star prospects, which I think he's demonstrated so far, why stop improving. This would also be the cheapest upgrade compared to indoor facility, weight room, video board etc. "just" knock down some walls. And re-carpet/drywall, etc.

Maybe something has changed, but I think part of the upgrade is to the practice locker rooms to make them first class and improve the layout. They bagged the major upgrades at BBT field and are spending the $'s on campus because that is where the majority of time is spent. The team will dress there before games and then bus over (similar to Clemson).

Maybe something has changed, but I think part of the upgrade is to the practice locker rooms to make them first class and improve the layout. They bagged the major upgrades at BBT field and are spending the $'s on campus because that is where the majority of time is spent. The team will dress there before games and then bus over (similar to Clemson).

So I guess the "Deacon Walk" is also being scrapped? Fine with me. Thought it was more approrpriate for Pop Warner than a major college team.

From what I've been told we built the indoor center first for two reasons. The first is money and the second is Clawson. The board requires that you have a certain amount of money before you start construction on any project. We didn't have enough money to do that for the sports performance center but we did for the practice center. We have enough money to pay for the entire practice center. This may indicate that the cost of the spc has gone up since it was announced but that is just a guess based on what I was told.

The second reason we did the indoor practice center was because Clawson wanted it. The plan all along has been to build both with the spc first. Since we didn't have the funds for the spc to start, Clawson pushed a switch to the indoor center. He didn't want to lose momentum and wanted to show constant improvement. Another big thing is that while we have a shitty gym, we have one. We don't have an indoor center and desperately needed one to stay competitive in recruiting.

Can somebody give me specifics on why an indoor facility is better apart from (1) weather issues; and (2) have to be able to show one to recruits? Not questioning the decision to build one, I just struggle to understand how it will help the program beyond the two points already listed, which by themselves would not seem to justify the expense and use of space.

Its an controlled environment. The quality of the work at a practice will be increased, because there will be no wind, rain, etc. There will be fewer outside distractions. If practice is extended past the 20 hrs per week, it's harder for an outsider to catch. There was a lot of talk in the NFL scouting circles when Tommy Bohannan had to work out in a rain storm and the scouts got soaked. It's bullshit, but the report I saw had one line about Tommy and three about facilities.

Can somebody give me specifics on why an indoor facility is better apart from (1) weather issues; and (2) have to be able to show one to recruits? Not questioning the decision to build one, I just struggle to understand how it will help the program beyond the two points already listed, which by themselves would not seem to justify the expense and use of space.

If you can't understand the value of #2, I don't know what to tell you.

Because kids these days are spoiled and want to stay inside all the time. So, we spend millions to keep them happy.

You also have to realize it will be utilized by other sports as well. Not necessarily for full all out practice but at least for skill drills and conditioning during bad weather.

You also have to realize it will be utilized by other sports as well. Not necessarily for full all out practice but at least for skill drills and conditioning during bad weather.

Yeah this. Couldn't soccer and field hockey use it with minimal set up on a bad weather day?

Back