• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

McCreary Indoor Practice Center - Collegiate Arms Race Thread

Looks like their indoor field will be the only practice field over 65 yards long...

http://www.hokiesports.com/indoorpracticefacility/
indoor2.jpg

The article does mention that the VT facility will be 85 feet tall, allowing for punting/kicking indoors...though I don't really see that as much of a benefit. Sounds like they put a premium on aesthetics since it will be viewable from the stadium. Meanwhile, our practice facilities are mostly hidden from the public.

Meanwhile, it looks like we'll clear some landscaping, extend our short field and end up with 3 full length practice fields as part of this project.

A football field is over 50 yds wide, so if the pic is anywhere near scale the indoor field at VT will be 100+ yds.

A football field is over 50 yds wide, so if the pic is anywhere near scale the indoor field at VT will be 100+ yds.

Looks like their indoor field will be the only practice field over 65 yards long...

The indoor field is definitely 100 yards. From the link I posted:
Tech’s much-needed indoor facility will be 210 feet wide and 400 feet long, with an artificial surface similar to the surface at English Field, the Hokies’ baseball home.

I can't orient myself in relation to that photo at all. Where am I standing to get that view? Behind Carswell Hall? Is one of those buildings the Miller Center? Hell so much has changed I barely recognize a photo of my college campus.

So is the student gym expanding too?

20140701.SPC.jpg

20140701.bball.jpg

Updated renderings for the sports performance center, indoor practice facility, and an additional practice court for (women's?) basketball

So from that rendering it looks like the orientation of the two outdoor fields will rotate by 90 degrees from the current setup - can anyone confirm that?

So from that rendering it looks like the orientation of the two outdoor fields will rotate by 90 degrees from the current setup - can anyone confirm that?

The rendering of just the indoor center shows two fields oriented the way they are now, though shifted a bit from where the current turf field sits. In the end, a 120 x 53ish yard field, plus the sidelines and space between the fields is basically a square anyway.

20140701.SPC.jpg

20140701.bball.jpg

Updated renderings for the sports performance center, indoor practice facility, and an additional practice court for (women's?) basketball

"Name Name" has a nice ring to it.

"If you build it, they will come". HONDO, maybe it's so the women's team can practice at the same time. Manning will get the new gym.

O.K., roger that....assumed the gals used/had the refurbished Reynolds Gym exclusively once volleyball season ended in late November.

Comparing VT/Wake practice facilities, never realized VT's grounds are oddly shaped with some unused/wasted space in the far left corner of that photo. I think they're saying that 1 outdoor field can be configured perpendicular atop the 2 planned short fields if/when needed which would be parallel to the new indoor building. As noted above, our practice grounds are nearly square and can easily rotate the 2 outdoor fields as depicted.

I'm now curious if we'll again have an outdoor FieldTurf practice field. Wouldn't appear to be needed with the advent of an indoor FieldTurf building.

Lastly, any added info on what that apparantly ground level open space between Miller and the Center is for ? Is that the new gym above that area ?

Lastly, any added info on what that apparantly ground level open space between Miller and the Center is for ? Is that the new gym above that area ?
Yes, the new gym is in the glass area above the open space. I believe the open space is simply a byproduct of the new gym above and is largely aesthetic with no use other than that of a walkway/entrance to the buildings.

That open space is for facilities. There is a gap behind Miller currently and the retaining wall so that facilities can drive machinery onto the practice fields and kenter. There is a path to their building and the golf center that is behind miller. Since the fields are currently walled in they need to be able to access them for mowing and painting etc and still have access to kentner.

I'm now curious if we'll again have an outdoor FieldTurf practice field. Wouldn't appear to be needed with the advent of an indoor FieldTurf building.

Since we play all of our home games on FieldTurf, I'd think that we'd still want one of the outdoor fields to be of the same surface to be able to mimic some game conditions...though I guess we could always head over to the stadium to get in a workout, try out cleats, etc on a wet field, etc. That said, it seems like we'd leave one of the outdoor fields as FieldTurf, as I assume the preference would be to always practice outside unless severe weather dictates otherwise.

Since we play all of our home games on FieldTurf, I'd think that we'd still want one of the outdoor fields to be of the same surface to be able to mimic some game conditions...though I guess we could always head over to the stadium to get in a workout, try out cleats, etc on a wet field, etc. That said, it seems like we'd leave one of the outdoor fields as FieldTurf, as I assume the preference would be to always practice outside unless severe weather dictates otherwise.

But the existing FieldTurf field will be torn up when the buildings are finished. AIR, an alum paid for the original....maybe he'll come up with another $1.5 million or maybe this is already in the cost for the entire project ?

Thanks, Bob. I'm really glad that the deep pockets are stepping up. This will be a great investment for the Deacs.

Wait... is that the posts for the monorail in the background?

This is embarrassing. Recruits are going to see this and think they are coming to Wake to learn construction.

Back