• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

McCreary Indoor Practice Center - Collegiate Arms Race Thread

I was surprised to see Faculty Drive and the surrounding housing excluded from the campus map. I thought we, at least, had right of first refusal or some such nonsense.

Question prompted by the map-- behind Worrell, who lives in those apartment things on Paschall Dr.?

Re parking garage, just look at the map-- Lot Q is on prime real estate for any future expansion. A parking garage doesn't have to look like garbage. Quick google search--

1706-58-3a1-940x479.jpg

Large parking deck off campus, monorail from parking deck looping through campus and athletic complex. (drops mike, walks off stage...)

AIR, VT and WF started construction on their respective facilities about the same time.

Stumbled on this link today and was surprised how far along VT is while WF is still moving dirt around....

http://www.hokiesports.com/webcam/

AIR, VT and WF started construction on their respective facilities about the same time.

Stumbled on this link today and was surprised how far along VT is while WF is still moving dirt around....

http://www.hokiesports.com/webcam/

VT didn't really have any dirt to move...it was built on top of an existing practice field, so it was already flat. Just had to remove the topsoil, dig a few footers, and start pouring concrete. Meanwhile, we had to take down a lot of trees and cut into a pretty substantial hillside while making provisions for water drainage, etc.

That said, once we actually start going vertical, it will go up really fast. It's a prefab design, so the walls are literally trucked in in sections and set in place with a crane. We'll go from foundation to roof really quickly.

Last edited:
I was running around campus yesterday and they have redone the cross country trails. Smoothed them out, new rock dust etc. They were in really good shape actually. Don't think they took away that much of them , maybe just a redirect around the golf/football areas.

My photos from today show slow but steady progress on the construction of the addition to Reynolds Gym and the new indoor practice facility.

I understand that there is a lot that goes into these projects, but it certainly seems like we are in no real rush to get these done. I remember the construction on the new dorms was ridiculously quick.

I understand that there is a lot that goes into these projects, but it certainly seems like we are in no real rush to get these done. I remember the construction on the new dorms was ridiculously quick.

Different sites and more immediate ROI.

The weather has been brutal for any construction project involving earth moving and concrete since Christmas. These projects are both in the stage where they are most impacted by weather. My company has a large project at exactly this stage in NC and the weather has us almost at a standstill. Once things thaw out you'll see them move significantly more quickly.

Good quality concrete is best placed when temps will remain well above freezing for days. Too many cold days to do well with concrete lately.

Back