• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

McCreary Indoor Practice Center - Collegiate Arms Race Thread

original-genuine-motorola-razr-v3i-limited-rare-classic-1479713080-3557771-b88d042a0c0948d6c04f3a2331e5b9c4.jpg

That is awesome. Spoke to one of the assistans a few weeks ago and mentioned wanting to take a tour of that locker room. He spoke very highly of the upgrades.

The baseball locker room is unmatched by any locker room I've ever been in. I've toured college, NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA arenas and ours honestly blows them away. The recent grads who are in the Majors have their own lockers and can use the facilities anytime they're in town to work out. The pitching room is state of the art. Coach Walter mentioned that we'd just signed a deal with WFBMC to add technology including infrared cameras to be able to analyze our pitchers every motion, even sensing the pressure of the plant foot after a pitch. They'll be able to track the rotation, give instructions, and immediately see the results.

One interesting thing he also mentioned last night, the location of the pitches is often determined by the amount of rotation on the ball. Those with a lower rotation are more apt to pitch down around the knees hoping for ground outs, whereas higher rotation pitchers want to pitch high in the strike zone leading to more pop flies. He also went into bat velocity at impact and the needed trajectory of the bat to ball contact to maximize power. The science behind it really blew me away.

Got to tour the baseball stadium with Coach Walter tonight. Top notch facility that definitely lives up to the hype. The locker room is practically indescribable. Apologies for the potato quality. The lights wreaked havoc with my cell phone camera.
93190c8f9227bf194e410aaa1308e61f.jpg
58832d0d0173640da232489b1d203c1a.jpg
d930ce5330645846472fad2bad60a70a.jpg
27a007d71970ea380989a202e194b135.jpg

WOW!! Great to see all of this facility progress...first class all the way.

Oh, and FU donaldross...you give a bad name to an amazing golf course architect. So please, do us golfers a favor and change your name to jeanvandevelde

The looks like a small city being built.

The Waketropolis Sports Zone

Can't wait to see this thing finished and I'm not even a student. ;) Glad to see Wake and donors investing in the facilities.

Not really a Christmas tree - it's a construction tradition that a tree is placed on new construction when they have placed the highest beam. No idea when it started or why.
Asked a builder friend and he stated that it started a long time ago in Europe and it's meaning might be most easily explained as the figurative representation of the mantra "it's all downhill from here." Part celebration of building up to that point safely/securely and part superstition of blessing the rest of the build.

Just looked up some info on "topping out" and, according to Wikipedia, apparently the Scandinavians started it as a way to appease the tree spirits who were displaced during the building of the structure.

Last edited:
When we get finished with this can we tear down the abortion that the Scales Fine Arts Building is. The singular architectural mistake ever made by a University. Evidently everybody was smoking weed in the seventies.

When we get finished with this can we tear down the abortion that the Scales Fine Arts Building is. The singular architectural mistake ever made by a University. Evidently everybody was smoking weed in the seventies.

Remember when this was built.
It destroyed a great hillside field that was frequently use for Frisbee and laying around.
Agree that the architecture did not fit at all. Think the powers that be we're assuming this would make WKe seem more modern.

Remember when this was built.
It destroyed a great hillside field that was frequently use for Frisbee and laying around.
Agree that the architecture did not fit at all. Think the powers that be we're assuming this would make WKe seem more modern.

You can still do those things on the field

Scales was built on that site after student vote wanted to be across the road from Poteat. The design was allegedly to allow light into artistic studios and to make it more user-friendly for all of the arts that we’re going to be part of the building. As someone who woke up most of my senior year to the pile driving going on across the road and never fit into the campus but I think it serves it’s purpose based on the people who actually take classes there

This. Or hide it with more trees. Knock down those old student apartments behind the law school too.

Back