• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Country Music Group Mt. Rushmore

Sturgill Simpson is the absolute fucking man.

The first time I really listened to Metamodern Sounds in Country Music I was camping about 45 miles down the beach on Padre Island National Seashore. Me and the girl I was dating dropped a hella strong dose of acid and had that album on repeat with the rain fly off our tent, watching the world absolutely shatter around us on an absolutely perfectly clear night.

Not all days are good days, but that one certainly was up there. Shit. Got. Weird.

not many have heard of this guy, but i am obsessed with ZEPHANIAH OHORA

check him out and thank me later...just put out his second album.

Not all those are bands.... But i'm a yuge Tyler fan boi. Sturgill Simpson/Childers concert that got canceled in Austin was on my Bday weekend. Tears bro.

I was going to the Tyler/Sturgill show in Houston. Would've been awesome.

If you don't know Jeremy Pinnell, check him out. His KEXP appearances are gold.

No Hank Williams? No Garth?

i totally forgot about Hank, love him like Buddy Holly, he needs to be on this list but don't listen to either of them much.

Garth can fuck off

not many have heard of this guy, but i am obsessed with ZEPHANIAH OHORA

check him out and thank me later...just put out his second album.

anyone check him out yet? he is like a young Merle Haggard

I’m no country fan, but it has to be

Willy Nelson
Dolly Parton
Hank Williams
Garth Brooks

I’m no country fan, but it has to be

Willy Nelson
Dolly Parton
Hank Williams
Garth Brooks

I've gone back and forth regarding Garth. In one sense, he saved country music by spearheading a major transition. The other side of the coin is that he is the polar opposite of Hank musically. If I had to choose between listening to Garth or Trisha, I lean toward Trisha.

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Alabama
Brooks & Dunn
Oak Ridge Boys/The Carter Family

This is the country music equivalent of Applebee's, bro.

Boo, that’s not fair. I would say...Rascal Flatts or Zac Brown Band are the Applebees of Country Music. Florida Georgia Line is the Hooters of Country music

Very difficult to do, I think it would be almost better to break it down by decade. This is mine solely of groups, one based on solo artists would be even tougher. Anyways

Alabama
The Highwaymen
The Dixie Chicks ( I ain't changing their name)
Flatt & Scruggs (I am including Bluegrass)

Also if you like Tyler Childers and Red Dirt stuff, I would suggest Zach Bryan (even if he does look like a LEGO person).

Mary Chapin Carpenter is one of the most underrated songwriters and country musicians.

And as far as songs go, Just to See You Smile by Tim McGraw(he didn't write it) might be the perfectly written country song. It's just so goddamn economic and tight. Nothing wasted in that song. Heartbreaking in it's simplicity.

Mary Chapin Carpenter is one of the most underrated songwriters and country musicians.

And as far as songs go, Just to See You Smile by Tim McGraw(he didn't write it) might be the perfectly written country song. It's just so goddamn economic and tight. Nothing wasted in that song. Heartbreaking in it's simplicity.

I agree. I've been listening to a lot of Gretchen Peters lately and have realized how great she is as a songwriter. Some of the lyrics are very dark, some very painful, but they draw a vivid picture. "Camille" deserves to be recognized as a Top 100 song of all time, if only for "you feel like a fool so you feel like a drink, and you drink so you don't have to feel." Haven't we all been there.

Back