• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Country Music Group Mt. Rushmore

+1 on Mary Chapin Carpenter. She had some bangers. Dolly deserves her own Mount Rushmore, but more like a theme park. What could we call it?

Sturgill/Tyler should be on the Mount Rushmore of finding killer bass players. Speaking of killer bass players, early 90's Reba.

Gatlin Brothers had some sneaky good music. Broken Lady doesn't get nearly enough play on WBRF.

Drive by Truckers > Jason Isbell (unpopular opinion - even though Outfit is my jam)

+1 on Mary Chapin Carpenter. She had some bangers. Dolly deserves her own Mount Rushmore, but more like a theme park. What could we call it?

Sturgill/Tyler should be on the Mount Rushmore of finding killer bass players. Speaking of killer bass players, early 90's Reba.

Gatlin Brothers had some sneaky good music. Broken Lady doesn't get nearly enough play on WBRF.

Drive by Truckers > Jason Isbell (unpopular opinion - even though Outfit is my jam)

I can't go with you there, bro, but I will say Patterson Hood has gotten a shitton better as a songwriter and as a musician without the crutch of Isbell to hold him up.

Mary Chapin Carpenter is one of the most underrated songwriters and country musicians.

And as far as songs go, Just to See You Smile by Tim McGraw(he didn't write it) might be the perfectly written country song. It's just so goddamn economic and tight. Nothing wasted in that song. Heartbreaking in it's simplicity.

Never Even Called Me By My Name is the best commercial-ish country song, my man

if you want the rock, DBT over Isbell all the way. Isbell shows are kind of snoozers these days. but he's usually playing like theaters and festivals vs the rock clubs DBT still plays.

Never Even Called Me By My Name is the best commercial-ish country song, my man

I know that Coe is problematic but man, I never get tired of Longhaired Redneck.

Now I wanna go watch Heartworn Highways again.

[/B]

I can't go with you there, bro, but I will say Patterson Hood has gotten a shitton better as a songwriter and as a musician without the crutch of Isbell to hold him up.

I liked Isbell when he was with DBT, but like Barca said, Isbell can put you to sleep. It's like if Amos Lee grew up in a southern trailer park and couldn't sing as well.

[/B]

dunno if I agree with that. Southern Rock Opera (pre-Isbell) and Dirty South (with Isbell) are his strongest works IMO.

dunno if I agree with that. Southern Rock Opera (pre-Isbell) and Dirty South (with Isbell) are his strongest works IMO.

It’s definitely an interesting debate. I really think American Band is his apex, and What it Means is by far the best thing he’s ever written.

Although 18 Wheels of Love will probably be my permafave Hood song.

It’s definitely an interesting debate. I really think American Band is his apex, and What it Means is by far the best thing he’s ever written.

Although 18 Wheels of Love will probably be my permafave Hood song.

The newer songs are probably better but I guess I get way more enjoyment out of the older, story-based songs. I’m never one to object to politics in songs or sports or whatever, esp since I agree wholeheartedly with the message, but older DBT is more my jam. I still love seeing them live whenever I can and was supposed to see them 2 nights in April but it got postponed to October and then moved to 2021. I miss concerts.

They are also really good dudes.

I was thinking the other day about how much I liked their first album and their latest album. I could not think of another band I could say that about over a 20 plus year period. Rhett Miller has had some great solo work in that time too. Nice to know they are really good dudes. Rhett has written some about his depression and suicidal thoughts that made me understand he is a good writer period, not just a good songwriter. This is coming from someone who has never had suicidal thoughts.

I don't think Doc has gotten any love here yet. If we started a folk/bluegrass Mount Rushmore thread, he would have to get a lot of mentions.

Back