• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

At least 172 Palestinians killed, 1,280 injured, UN says 77% are civilians

RJ---known to defend any and every pile of scat that drops out of the sitting Administration---has stopped defending what the Israelis are doing. Just sayin'.

RJ---known to defend any and every pile of scat that drops out of the sitting Administration---has stopped defending what the Israelis are doing. Just sayin'.

Was this directed at me? I'm not defending what the Israelis are doing at all. They're both losers. I'm all for GTFO and letting their respective gods (spoiler: its the same god) sort it out.

rj just quit this thread because everybody who disagrees with him is an anti-semite

Was this directed at me? I'm not defending what the Israelis are doing at all. They're both losers. I'm all for GTFO and letting their respective gods (spoiler: its the same god) sort it out.

No. Not at all. Your last sentence is hard to argue with, but shooting rockets at unarmed civilians is pretty damned tough to swallow, especially when we end up getting blamed for whatever they do.

The money quote from Time link:

The implication of the “disproportionality” claim is that, given their losses, the people of Gaza are the real victims. But morally and politically, this is an intolerable and distorted interpretation of the realities in the region.

The reason that Hamas has not killed more Israelis is not because they haven’t tried. In the seven years during which it has controlled Gaza, Hamas and its proxies have fired more than 5000 rockets into Israel; almost 800 have been launched just this past week. Each one has been aimed at civilians and intended to murder and maim. The reason that more Israelis have not died is that the weapons are mostly crude and inaccurate and that, over time, Israel has prepared herself with shelters, warning sirens and an anti-missile system. In addition, Israelis have been just plain lucky.

For those of you posting jokes about this, I witness people dying every night. Have some respect.

If I lived back in the Wild West days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like, "Hey look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink. - Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

The money quote from Time link:

The implication of the “disproportionality” claim is that, given their losses, the people of Gaza are the real victims. But morally and politically, this is an intolerable and distorted interpretation of the realities in the region.

The reason that Hamas has not killed more Israelis is not because they haven’t tried. In the seven years during which it has controlled Gaza, Hamas and its proxies have fired more than 5000 rockets into Israel; almost 800 have been launched just this past week. Each one has been aimed at civilians and intended to murder and maim. The reason that more Israelis have not died is that the weapons are mostly crude and inaccurate and that, over time, Israel has prepared herself with shelters, warning sirens and an anti-missile system. In addition, Israelis have been just plain lucky.

That quote doesn't understand what the words disproportionate and intolerable mean.

If I throw 500 punches at Floyd Mayweather and land 1 or 2 by sheer luck and he responds by landing 50 straight strategically placed punches in a row would anyone call that fight or response proportionate?

And how is making a claim that the people of Gaza are the real victims (pretty uncontroversial seeing as how most of the people of Gaza are not responsible for the rockets being launched into Israel) intolerable while murdering 4 young boys playing soccer on the beach is a proportionate response?

Do you think this latest Israeli offensive constitutes a war crime? Updates on the situation here:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/14/israel-shoots-down-gaza-drone-live-updates

LOL. Really. Is this where have come too? Israeli war crimes? Hamas just today was found hiding 20 missles in a school. They are lobbing missles into civilian areas. They are a complete cancer. And if the international community had ANY balls they'd occupy Gaza and end their "reign" that involves using their own kids as human shields while specifically targeting civilians with rocket strikes.

That quote doesn't understand what the words disproportionate and intolerable mean.

If I throw 500 punches at Floyd Mayweather and land 1 or 2 by sheer luck and he responds by landing 50 straight strategically placed punches in a row would anyone call that fight or response proportionate?

And how is making a claim that the people of Gaza are the real victims (pretty uncontroversial seeing as how most of the people of Gaza are not responsible for the rockets being launched into Israel) intolerable while murdering 4 young boys playing soccer on the beach is a proportionate response?

Uh, it sort of begs the question why you are throwing punches at Meriweather to begin with.

At this point if there is an invasion or continued strikes, it's about Hamas. There is a ceasefire on the table. The Israelis are willing to have this ceasefire.

How isn't it Hamas' fault if this escalates?

This is 100% accurate.

Hasn't Israel has always taken the position they will support a Palestinian state so long as their neighbors recognize their right to exist as a nation? Seems pretty simple. Recognize, get your state and live in peace. What has the response been for 70 plus years? Attack, attempt to destroy and refuse to recognize.

The UN human rights chief is the one who said he thinks they're committing war crime, it's not like a random guy writing for the Washington Post

This is 100% accurate.

Hasn't Israel has always taken the position they will support a Palestinian state so long as their neighbors recognize their right to exist as a nation? Seems pretty simple. Recognize, get your state and live in peace. What has the response been for 70 plus years? Attack, attempt to destroy and refuse to recognize.

No this is not what the agreement is. Israel wants Palestine to accept the borders that Israel proposes.

"Palestine won't accept our unilateral offer!!!!"

Oh geez I wonder why!!??

Back