• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

At least 172 Palestinians killed, 1,280 injured, UN says 77% are civilians

Yes. DeacMan's post is what a bully says. "You know I could beat the ever living fuck out of you. You're lucky I just want your lunch money."

Everyone knows Israel could demolish Palestine if they so chose. It's also completely irrelevant.

the fact that they could erase gaza and still choose to handle the situation as they currently are makes it all the more disgusting

the fact that they could erase gaza and still choose to handle the situation as they currently are makes it all the more disgusting

Oh, really. You'd prefer they just erase Gaza. I'm still waiting for a single person here to explain why Israel should continue to allow Hamas to lauch missiles without any discrimination into its borders. Today the airport in Tel Aviv is closed after a missile landed near it. Will a downed jet make folks realize Hamas doesn't care about anyone?

There's an awful lot of anti-semitism on this board.

Oh, really. You'd prefer they just erase Gaza. I'm still waiting for a single person here to explain why Israel should continue to allow Hamas to lauch missiles without any discrimination into its borders. Today the airport in Tel Aviv is closed after a missile landed near it. Will a downed jet make folks realize Hamas doesn't care about anyone?

first, lol at the bolded part. dipshit.

the point is that there are a few ways to stop the rockets

Nothing that has been said has been remotely anti-semitic. DeacMan on the other hand shows up and embodies what a lot of articles already posted are talking about: any attack on Israel is an anti-semitic attack in the eyes of fervent Israel supporters.

Missed opportunty, what should they do now given where both sides are currently? I realy have no ideas about a 'good' solution.

Once the rockets start flying, Israel is going to bomb and invade until they stop. 100% of the time, no question about it. And brutal as it is, there is unfortunately no realistic option.

That said, Israel bears a lot of the blame for this particular flare up. I posted this way back on page 1:

this latest flare up made me really sad, because I thought it was a giant missed opportunity for both sides.

in a sane world, when those three kids were killed, Israel and the PA would have announced a joint cooperative investigation (by law enforcement, not the military, although the lines between them are pretty blurry over there) to track down and punish the criminals responsible. This tragedy could have been an opportunity to build trust between the two sides and de-legitimize Hamas types who engage in child-killing to make a political point.

Instead, of course and naturally, Israel did the usual Pavlovian response of full collective retribution against the Palestinian population. The PA and Hamas did the full Pavlovian response of tacitly and actively encouraging violence against Israel. And so we're back on the hamster wheel of killing.

The kidnapping and murder of the teenagers was horrible - but Hamas denied responsibility, and a small splinter group claimed responsibility. Nonetheless, and without any evidence (at least none made public), Netanyahu declared that Hamas was responsible and immediately arrested and threw into jail 150 Hamas members, and bulldozed some houses. This was before the bodies were even found.

If Israel wants peace, they have to moderate their response to the next provocation. And there will be another provocation. After this flare up peters out, in a few months or years there will be a kidnapping, or a bombing, or a murder, or something, and Israel will once again have to decide - do we treat this as a criminal act and try to work with the Palestinians to solve it? Or do we go out and brutalize some Palestinians and bulldoze their houses and re-blockade their towns, and then act all surprised when they start lobbing rockets?

Once the rockets start flying, Israel is going to bomb and invade until they stop. 100% of the time, no question about it. And brutal as it is, there is unfortunately no realistic option.

That said, Israel bears a lot of the blame for this particular flare up. I posted this way back on page 1:

The kidnapping and murder of the teenagers was horrible - but Hamas denied responsibility, and a small splinter group claimed responsibility. Nonetheless, and without any evidence (at least none made public), Netanyahu declared that Hamas was responsible and immediately arrested and threw into jail 150 Hamas members, and bulldozed some houses. This was before the bodies were even found.

If Israel wants peace, they have to moderate their response to the next provocation. And there will be another provocation. After this flare up peters out, in a few months or years there will be a kidnapping, or a bombing, or a murder, or something, and Israel will once again have to decide - do we treat this as a criminal act and try to work with the Palestinians to solve it? Or do we go out and brutalize some Palestinians and bulldoze their houses and re-blockade their towns, and then act all surprised when they start lobbing rockets?

Not to mention they had an opportunity to start getting rid of Hamas altogether.

DeacMan I think you are confusing a lot of the anti-being-an-idiot directed at you as being anti-semitic

Go on. I'm listening. How should they "stop" the rockets? They've been launched more or less daily for months on end.

While people respond to this can you elaborate on this "anti-semitism" that has been prevalent throughout this thread?

Save for the fact you are not acknowledging Hamas has been lobbing in bombs for months on end. This isn't just some recent phenomena. Hamas' stated goal is the annihilation of Israel. They want full Palestinian rule of every inch of land. Yet somehow Israel is at fault for the actions of a group whose stated goal is to destroy Israel?

Go on. I'm listening. How should they "stop" the rockets? They've been launched more or less daily for months on end.

I know this probably isn't realistic but it would be sweet if they could build some sort of Star Wars type defense system that would shoot down any rockets that are fired at them.

Either that or they could build a force-field like dome over the country made of invisible Iron.

I really wish Hamas would just agree to transfer power to a group that recognizes Israel and agrees to stop firing the Rockets.

Save for the fact you are not acknowledging Hamas has been lobbing in bombs for months on end. This isn't just some recent phenomena. Hamas' stated goal is the annihilation of Israel. They want full Palestinian rule of every inch of land. Yet somehow Israel is at fault for the actions of a group whose stated goal is to destroy Israel?

I mean they kind of are when they actively thwarted that groups attempts to transfer some power in Gaza.

Can you at least read the thread? This has been discussed. Both sides are completely at fault and nobody is saying Hamas is anything other than a terrorist organization.

If someone wants to kick your ass, should you go beat up their children?

Can you at least read the thread? This has been discussed. Both sides are completely at fault and nobody is saying Hamas is anything other than a terrorist organization.

This is DeacMan. He doesn't read threads. He swoops into the Tunnels and just starts firing off his opinion without regard for what has already been discussed.

Your first 4 sentences are accurate statements of fact and I don't dispute them. Nobody has. As for the last sentence, I don't think and have never said that Israel is at fault for the actions of any other party. But they are responsible for their own actions. And in this case, the kidnappings were immediately translated into an assault on Hamas despite no evidence linking Hamas to the kidnappings, and no effort to work with the PA to find the perpetrators. In the months beforehand, it appears that Israel purposefully undermined any chance of the PA getting a handle on Hamas. Another way to stop the missiles - before a big flare up like this - is to stop undermining the PA and help them get control of Gaza and undermine Hamas. This pattern gets repeated over and over, and it starts to look like Israel doesn't want peace any more than Hamas does.

Is the anti-semitism dig for real? Could you please quote some examples on either thread?

Back