• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread 150: The End's Not Near

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always wanted to do a tri but I don't have the equipment and I balk at the swimming portion. I feel like I'd need to take a swimming class on how to swim long distances. I assume there's a real technique, because swimming like an average dude could produce a lot of wasted movement.

you could do a sprint distance? 750m swim, max.
though i guess if you don't swim, 750m is still a long distance.
what do you mean "swimming like an average dude" ?

that looks like a sweet Ironman lbE. Good luck.

thanks! it's a year from yesterday, so i've got plenty of time to get ready.

I'm so stoked - one of the girls I ride with out here just won her age group yesterday (18-24) and gets a coveted Kona slot for this fall. It was her first Ironman... and she effing got a slot to Kona (granted, 18-24 is the least competitive age group other than the olds, but she had a hell of a time for that course at 11:25). Beast. Gives me goosebumps.

you could do a sprint distance? 750m swim, max.
though i guess if you don't swim, 750m is still a long distance.
what do you mean "swimming like an average dude" ?
Like, I took swimming classes as a kid and I generally know how to free style, back stroke, and breast stroke. But my form is probably pretty bad. I never really know quite how much power I'm supposed to generate with my legs as opposed to arms.

I think you should prove you can do the ninja warrior rings before trying to step up to the ironman

That Rich Froning is a pretty pretty good athlete.

oh shit that's the dude's name I was trying to think of.. a few months back I was at a brewery in Asheville when a really drunk girl started talking to me while she was waiting in line for the bathroom, one of the first three sentences that came out of her mouth mentioned that she did crossfit (I shit you not), and then she asked me if I knew who Rich Froning was and told me I looked just like him (lol, I don't really see it) over and over again. She then told me I should do crossfit too before she left. Was super weird, and also kind of funny.

Like, I took swimming classes as a kid and I generally know how to free style, back stroke, and breast stroke. But my form is probably pretty bad. I never really know quite how much power I'm supposed to generate with my legs as opposed to arms.

ah, gotcha.
for the longer swims (and espeically for tris) the power is mostly from your pull, and there is certainly technique involved in making your stroke most powerful and efficient. you can be a "bad" swimmer and muscle through the shorter swims but you're right, over a longer distance that's going to take its toll.

oh shit that's the dude's name I was trying to think of.. a few months back I was at a brewery in Asheville when a really drunk girl started talking to me while she was waiting in line for the bathroom, one of the first three sentences that came out of her mouth mentioned that she did crossfit (I shit you not), and then she asked me if I knew who Rich Froning was and told me I looked just like him (lol, I don't really see it) over and over again. She then told me I should do crossfit too before she left. Was super weird, and also kind of funny.

cookout with two good arms:

32eed34a7d7a22e760ce67b5f4d9976d.jpg

That Froning bro looks a little dwarfish. What is he, 5'8?

So my parents got to Budapest today for a 2 week trip up the Danube. Pretty jelly.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkk!!!!!!

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkk!!!!!!

"Success in the sport is, above all else, about enduring suffering." - Chris McCormack

"There is a special mystique about the marathon, for example, because of its length—but that's just the bit you do at the end of an Ironman" - Chrissie Wellington

"You don't play triathlon. You play soccer; it's fun. You play baseball. Triathlon is work that can leave you crumpled in a heap, puking by the roadside. It's the physical brutality of climbing Mount Everest without the great view from the top of the world. What kind of person keeps coming back for more of that?" - Chris McCormack

Did anyone watch Married on FX? I think it aired last week while we were at the beach. It's got Judy Greer in it, and the previews looked pretty good.

Did anyone watch Married on FX? I think it aired last week while we were at the beach. It's got Judy Greer in it, and the previews looked pretty good.

I've watched that and You're the Worst.

Married has been ok, a little darker than expected. Just a viewpoint on Marriage I wasn't expecting going in. The writing/dialogue in You're the Worst I've really enjoyed through the first 2 episodes.

I was shocked at how bad some of the people were at the swim when I did a tri. You'd be fine, Tex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back