• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe Joining Fox Sports South

He also said he's going to be calling some games on Raycom

Sidenote, Elrod is joining Stan this year on the radio network. Interesting move for him. Goren moving back to the sidelines.

Grobe will have to think of something to say other than "this is a really good team".

I could see this going very well or very badly. Wish him the best, though.

It speaks volumes how few members of our former basketball and football staffs found coaching jobs after Wake.

It speaks volumes how few members of our former basketball and football staffs found coaching jobs after Wake.

Not many schools would be knocking down the door for a 62 year old football coach who's old school at the same time. He'd be at said "new school" for less than 5 years. Thought he would retire in '16 TBH.

Not many schools would be knocking down the door for a 62 year old football coach who's old school at the same time. He'd be at said "new school" for less than 5 years. Thought he would retire in '16 TBH.

You named one. There are several others much younger who are out of work or working for far less.

62 isn't that old. It's not unusual for an old coach to find another spot. But Elrod is a young guy and was once considered a rising star.

Not when he was coming off 5 straight losing seasons.

Solich was 60 when Ohio hired him. Not too far off 62.

Just think it's a new age. Schools want the young energetic coaches who can get it done on the recruiting trail and sell boosters. RE: Franklin & Clawson.

62 isn't that old. It's not unusual for an old coach to find another spot. But Elrod is a young guy and was once considered a rising star.

62 is really old to be a new hire somewhere. Takes the right set of circumstances. I understand that Elrod wasn't certain about staying in coaching. This is a nice landing place for him to recharge. He's going to be all too aware of how poor our talent is.

Just think it's a new age. Schools want the young energetic coaches who can get it done on the recruiting trail and sell boosters. RE: Franklin & Clawson.

Agreed, they want good coaches. Schools like Army and UAB don't care how old their coach is, they just want someone to build some positive momentum, even if it isn't for very long. Grobe was far and away the most qualified coach to throw his name in for those jobs yet didn't seem to get a second look. Why? Because there was nothing positive about the momentum at Wake, not in small part because of the failure of Grobe and his staff across those two dimensions (primarily the first one).

I wonder how many years worth of Grobe's travel schedule Clawson has crammed into the last 8 months.

ETA: yes, I am beating a dead horse, but I don't care for people who climb up on high horses, something both Grobe and you did liberally.

Meh, Grobe's call in show and "aw shucks" demeanor doesn't lead me to believe that he'll be a good color man.

We were all tired of grobes act, but other fan bases will get a kick out of snot bubbles and knot heads,etc. I bet grobe will be really good at this

Back