• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

USTA Leagues (NWT)

Baden

Reaction score
Since it is a relatively slow time on the boards, thought I'd toss this in the ring for discussion. Anyone play in USTA leagues/tournaments and if so any thoughts? Do you generally like it? What levels/leagues do you play?

I play on teams in both an 18+ and 40+ league at 4.0 level. It's been a lot of fun - the 40+ made the sectional playoffs just missing nationals. The 2 matches we lost were both 3rd set Komen tiebreaks. For the most part people are really good natured, but there is definitely a lot of sandbagging to make sure you don't get bumped up. It seems the leagues play about true to form on the rankings though - just a few bad apples.

I've seen a good bit of sand bagging in 18+ (through 4.0 and 4.5 leagues) and some strange self-ratings. Any comments on 40+ versus 18+? That change just about killed 18+ leagues in my area because all the 40+ crowd here really prefers 40+. I've got 2 more years to play 40+ and am looking forward to it.

I agree that the 40+ change was terrible for 18+ tennis. There are definitely more people in my area involved in 40+ leagues than 18+. I also turn 40 in two years, however I'm not going to play 40+ until I no longer feel competitive at 18+.

Sandbagging definitely occurs on every level, however it's the worst at 4.5 in Memphis where I am. It's a relatively large tennis town however there are only maybe 15-20 5.0+ players in the entire city. Even 80% of the teaching pros have themselves down to 4.5 now. Becoming a 5.0 here is near tennis suicide because it severely limits your opportunities to play in USTA events. Three friends of mine here played on a 4.5 team out of Jackson MS last year which won nationals. They all got bumped to 5.0. All three of them are essentially taking a year off USTA now and are making 5.0 teams just so they can lose 0 and 0 to get back down to 4.5. I personally don't mind the sandbagging at all because I'm over the whole "let's win sectionals/nationals" thing and consequently prefer the really good local competition without the hassle of having to travel every two months to play in an out of town event.

Since it is a relatively slow time on the boards, thought I'd toss this in the ring for discussion. Anyone play in USTA leagues/tournaments and if so any thoughts? Do you generally like it? What levels/leagues do you play?

Before I got the running bug I played tennis probably 6 times a week and played a lot of USTA tournaments and in leagues. I enjoyed it, I was a 3.5 and played in the spring (doubles/singles), summer (mixed doubles) and fall leagues (men's doubles). I'd recommend it, especially if you know some of the people on your team.

My wife has played for the last year or so. She had played some in high school and just got back into it. She only plays as a 2.5, but she has a lot of fun. She played in a state tournament in Winston back in June.

I play in a non-USTPA doubles league and singles ladder at my club. I played in a USTPA league years ago, but I enjoy the club leagues quite a bit more. Everyone has a pretty good attitude and the jerk factor is low.

I got back in recently; this is my third year playing USTA (with nearly 6 months off this past fall and winter because of a torn labrum). I play 3.5, but the most fun I've had is playing 7.5 combo or 8.0 mixed. League play is generally fun and most people are friendly. I've reconnected with friends from high school thanks to league play and found new people to play with. I'm generally friendly, but my favorite people to play are the one's who don't talk much during a match. I don't need to know how many kids you have or why you hate your job.

There seem to be very few men playing singles in the 18+ in Winston. The league I'm in now barely fielded two teams which sucks. Greensboro has a lot more people playing but I don't particularly care for driving 30+ minutes one way to play a tennis match.

For most, it's a hobby to stay in shape, socialize, or friendly competition. For a few douchebags, it's the last vestige of their glory days of high school athletic success.

If anyone is a member at Wake Indoor, I'd be happy to meet up and play sometime.

I just moved to GSO and am looking forward to getting into some league play at 4.0. I played a tournament last year for the first time since I was 14 and really really enjoyed it.

I played my first 8.5 combo match in a new league last night and had a less than friendly match; opponents were fans of throwing their rackets and one launched a ball over a bank of courts after a game. My favorite part of the evening was when the 4.5 on the other team, who hit drop shots all night, called me a bastard for hitting a drop shot on match point (for us). To me, all shots are fair game but am I a jackass for hitting a drop shot to win a match?

I played my first 8.5 combo match in a new league last night and had a less than friendly match; opponents were fans of throwing their rackets and one launched a ball over a bank of courts after a game. My favorite part of the evening was when the 4.5 on the other team, who hit drop shots all night, called me a bastard for hitting a drop shot on match point (for us). To me, all shots are fair game but am I a jackass for hitting a drop shot to win a match?

You should volley one into his face next time.

Back