• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

Seems a little more diverse than last year, which is good.

Reason #784 why Ticketmaster/Live Nation are a bunch of dirty whores: The prices for the Charlotte My Morning Jacket show in August (on sale tomorrow).

US $25.00 Ticket + US $9.00 Fees =
US $34.00

US $42.50 Ticket + US $12.85 Fees =
US $55.35

36% service charge on lawn tickets. Wanted to give TM/LN the benefit of the doubt and say the fee is higher on reserved seating because it requires more ushers and whatnot, but the fee is strictly driven on the cost. In other shows that have multiple price points for reserved seating, the fee fluctuates. Example: if MMJ had $60 reserved seats, an additional $17-18 would be added on. :fu:

so... why did nobody tell me mumford & sons are fantastic? where did i miss this memo?

Idk how you missed it. There was a thread/poll a while back on your favorite indie band.

Mumford and Sons won I'm pretty sure.

Mumford and Sons won a "least independent indie band" poll on one of the blogs I read. That could have also been a good title for bid's poll.

Mumford and Sons won a "least independent indie band" poll on one of the blogs I read. That could have also been a good title for bid's poll.

I don't even consider Mumford & Sons to be Indie. It's more like alternative irish/scottish folk rock.

I repeat. Alternative to what?

Edit: I'm not intentionally trying to be an ass. :D Sorry if it comes off that way. I just think "alternative" is as bullshit a distinction as "indie" these days. There's no real proper terminology to pigeonhole many bands these days, but rather trends in musicanship, style, and song structure.

Last edited:

Edit: I'm not intentionally trying to be an ass. :D Sorry if it comes off that way. I just think "alternative" is as bullshit a distinction as "indie" these days. There's no real proper terminology to pigeonhole many bands these days, but rather trends in musicanship, style, and song structure.

I mean do things like hip-hop really have a meaning? I think we know what genre alternative generally refers to

And I assume "alternative" is opposed to "mainstream"

I mean do things like hip-hop really have a meaning? I think we know what genre alternative generally refers to

And I assume "alternative" is opposed to "mainstream"

Well I could play this game all day, but it's most likely wasted posts.

As I've always said, genre is fictive. These days I'm going a step further and saying it's losing its marginal utility as music homogenizes.

I would agree that alternative once stood for against mainstream, but there are nearly as many "alternative" radio stations (and record labels, for that matter) as there are Top 40 stations (and major labels; at least by market share). Doesn't that fly in the face of what the "mainstream" is? I still see the utility of the terms (and use made up, obscure genre names often, personally), but it means less and less about actually describing the music itself/its qualities as time goes on.

semantics. i has them. sorry.

carry on.

here's a song: http://vimeo.com/429334

Fair enough then remove the alternative from my definition and I still don't consider it indie.

Fair enough then remove the alternative from my definition and I still don't consider it indie.

Yeah I was just bustin balls because you said it wasn't indie, it was more alternative, and I'd just say those are both BS distinctions. I agree with you in principle they don't exactly fit the indie bill.

How do we describe their phenomenon? They were big in the UK for about 6 months before their stuff even reached the states. And then from there, they rose QUICKLY to prominence and have since been featured, covered, and honored a lot in their short time here.

Their music is straightforward, contemplative folk rock with a sort of old world religious sensibility infusing a gospel aesthetic. (I've also seen Britgrass, pop, indie, alternative, country). It has about as broad of an appeal as I can think of. They're really talented, which helps. :D

Yeah, I am more surprised it took so long for someone not to hear about Mumford & Sons. Little Lion Man was on VH1 Top 20 Countdown last summer, and was getting airplay elsewhere in other visible areas.

My hate for LiveNation has temporarily subsided. Got 7th row for My Morning Jacket this morning. Not bad considering fan club presales, Citi card priority, etc. that I wasn't a part of.

Bought my My Morning Jacket tickets for when the play in Atlanta in August. Looking forward to the new album coming out.

Jeez. I was out of town and was so busy I wasn't on the internets too much and the Okkervil River/Titus Andronicus/Future Islands show sold out at the Cradle. That usually doesn't happen in the summer.

Jeez. I was out of town and was so busy I wasn't on the internets too much and the Okkervil River/Titus Andronicus/Future Islands show sold out at the Cradle. That usually doesn't happen in the summer.

This show sold out because of Future Islands. They've got a huge following in the Triangle area.

Back