• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

Have you heard the Grace Potter cover of Cortez the Killer? I posted it on the cover songs thread a while back. It's awesome, Joe Satriani is on it as well.

I hav. Joe Satriani is one of those pros that transcend time and genre.

I like Holdin On to Death Metal a lot.

That's really the only one that is listenable to me. Ive had that album for over a month and it still has no traction.

This is prolly my top 10 of 2k11 so far off the top of my head (you prolly already have these):

Lofticries -- Purity Ring
Up, Up, Up -- The Givers
Eyes Be Closed -- Washed Out
Maccu Picchu -- The Strokes
Dystopia -- YACHT
Modern Art -- Black Lips (this album is going to be so sick)
Grown Ocean -- Fleet Foxes
Don't Play No Game That I Can't Win -- Beastie Boys (feat. Santigold)
You Know What I Mean -- The Cults
NY Is Killing Me -- Jamie XX/Gil Scott Heron

That's really the only one that is listenable to me. Ive had that album for over a month and it still has no traction.

This is prolly my top 10 of 2k11 so far off the top of my head (you prolly already have these):

Lofticries -- Purity Ring
Up, Up, Up -- The Givers
Eyes Be Closed -- Washed Out
Maccu Picchu -- The Strokes
Dystopia -- YACHT
Modern Art -- Black Lips (this album is going to be so sick)
Grown Ocean -- Fleet Foxes
Don't Play No Game That I Can't Win -- Beastie Boys (feat. Santigold)
You Know What I Mean -- The Cults
NY Is Killing Me -- Jamie XX/Gil Scott Heron

Like that song a lot, but probably not my favorite off the album. Really like Montezuma and The Shrine/An Argument best.

Yeah, I like Sim Sala Bim as well, but I still like their more upbeat stuff. They kinda lose me when they get super slow and tree-hugger-y.

Cool song by Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. Townie; I have seen their name everywhere but never actually heard them until now.

My Morning Jacket's Storytellers premieres on VH1 in 2 minutes.

New Bon Iver is solid. The production is on a different level, and the mood is totally changed, but I liked it.

Sort of a play on the French for good winter. It enriched his earlier work a lot to think about him holed up in a cabin in Vermont over the long winter. I am so perplexed by the stuff I've heard from his new album. New instruments!

Vermont? He's a midwestern Wisconsin man.

My Morning Jacket's Storytellers premieres on VH1 in 2 minutes.

hate to quotemyself, but that was well worth watching and i believe it is on the vh1 site. Townie, I know you had a moment with Dondante at Bonnaroo, so def check out the story behind the song if you don't already know it.

hate to quotemyself, but that was well worth watching and i believe it is on the vh1 site. Townie, I know you had a moment with Dondante at Bonnaroo, so def check out the story behind the song if you don't already know it.

Can't wait to watch it. DVR'd it last night.

wish i had cable to check out stuff like this, but i'll look into the site. love documentaries, and i'm esp. curious of the MMJ one. thanks for the heads up!

:thumbsup:

I picture all bearded singer-songwriters in cabins in Vermont.

Ray LaMontagne fits that stereotype well, except he lives in a cabin in Maine.

ray_lamontagne_09521.jpg

Also, I caught The Mountain Stage on my local NPR station on the ride home today and heard a great set from Dierks Bentley. I've not listened to much country, but I realized that since I love bluegrass, folk, americana, southern rock, even weirder stuff like polka and zydeco, why shouldn't I like country?

TBH, his set with the McCourys was mostly bluegrass, but it really blew me away, even the slower ballads like Down in the Mine from his last LP.

Any suggestions for other new country artists I might enjoy? I also really like Caitlin Rose.

rawarr, I'm looking at you.

haha who says i have to be high? also, these guys are gonna be at XPN festival in July. pumped!

because i've worked these types of concerts and everyone is high on something. If not a chemical, the joy and care-free attitude.

Speaking of dale earnhardt jr jr, their new cd went up on spinner today streaming. Critics don't seem to like it much, but after two listens, I love it. There are at least five songs I really enjoy, and the whole thing is very listenable.

Also on spinner is the new black lips (!!!), tedeschi trucks, and more! Sweet!

Back