• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

qc is right, Friday afternoon looks to be the strongest part of the festival fosho.

Mine looks roughly like:

Friday:
Wye Oak
Tennis
Grace Potter & The Nocturnals
Foster the People
The Kills
The Mountain Goats
Bright Eyes
break maybe?
Ratatat/Girl Talk

Saturday:
Friendly Fires
Black Lips
The Drums/ Local Natives
Ween
Lykke Li
My Morning Jacket/ Beirut*

Sunday:
Lord Huron
Titus Andronicus
Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
Jay Electronica/Pains of Being Pure at Heart
The Cars
Boy & Bear/Portugal. The Man
Arctic Monkeys (probably my last show cause I have a flight that night, but I'd like to catch Cold War Kids later, too)

* This is the biggest scheduling conflict for me by far

qc is right, Friday afternoon looks to be the strongest part of the festival fosho.

Mine looks roughly like:

Friday:
Wye Oak
Tennis
Grace Potter & The Nocturnals
Foster the People
The Kills
The Mountain Goats
Bright Eyes
break maybe?
Ratatat/Girl Talk

Saturday:
Friendly Fires
Black Lips
The Drums/ Local Natives
Ween
Lykke Li
My Morning Jacket/ Beirut*

Sunday:
Lord Huron
Titus Andronicus
Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
Jay Electronica/Pains of Being Pure at Heart
The Cars
Boy & Bear/Portugal. The Man
Arctic Monkeys (probably my last show cause I have a flight that night, but I'd like to catch Cold War Kids later, too)

* This is the biggest scheduling conflict for me by far
If I was going, that looks similar to mine, but I would probably throw in a little Fitz and The Tantrums and Ryan Bingham even though I see Bingham conflicts with your boy Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.

Pretty solid list...I have to print it all out and do my highlighter trick like I always do soon.

I think ima pick up the new Battles at the store tomorrow. I wanna buy some vinyl.

The Dream just released a mashup Mp3 of two new tracks off his forthcoming album. Im not a huge R&B guy, but I've always liked the Dream. The tracks, entitled "Body Work/Fuck My Brains Out" are pretty damn good summer smushin' music, and at over 9 minutes, my man G$ should be able to get off like 3 times before he hits repeat.

http://prettymuchamazing.com/music/stream/the-dream-body-work-fuck-my-brains-out

For those who haven't gotten a chance to hear it yet, the new Bon Iver is streaming on NPR!

Sweet. The Mrs and I headed to the beach tomorrow, so we'll have to check out that new Bon Iver

TV on the Radio and Broken Social Scene playing together in freaking Charlotte on a freaking Monday. WTF?

The new Bon Iver is terrific. Can't wait til the real thing comes out. I'm going to buy it.

Told Townie about this already, but saw Yellow Ostrich the other night and got to talk with their lead singer again. Fantastic band. They played a bunch of new stuff, but he says they haven't recorded it yet, so an album might be some months away. They were asking people to stay for the final act, Wildbirds & Peacedrums. Most people didn't. You don't see that much. They were decent, have plenty of talent, but wasn't super into it.

Also, I caught The Mountain Stage on my local NPR station on the ride home today and heard a great set from Dierks Bentley. I've not listened to much country, but I realized that since I love bluegrass, folk, americana, southern rock, even weirder stuff like polka and zydeco, why shouldn't I like country?

TBH, his set with the McCourys was mostly bluegrass, but it really blew me away, even the slower ballads like Down in the Mine from his last LP.

Any suggestions for other new country artists I might enjoy? I also really like Caitlin Rose.

rawarr, I'm looking at you.

Uh, well the last time I went through a pop country phase was my senior year of high school. Dierks is about as good as you're going to get in that realm. Brad Paisley can play his instruments really fucking well, even if some of his songs are totally corny.

A lot of what I listen to these days is "country" music, but really falls somewhere in the folk/americana/alt country realm. In other words, if I told some stranger I listen to country, that would be true, but that stranger would likely assume I like the pop stuff about tractors and saving horses by riding cowboys.

Since you've been sniffing around this stuff for a while, I can throw some random names out I've been listening to lately that's in the country/folk/americana/blues/southern rock type realm:

Ryan Bingham -- must have in my book, my favorite new artist of the past couple years. Wrote the theme to the movie Crazy Heart and won some film awards for it. Get all three major releases and listen to them in order to get a feel for his music, the latest album might be his best work all around but doesn't represent the rest of his catalogue as well. If you want more pure country feel, look around for Wishbone Saloon, Poor Boy's Amen, or Dead Horses... albums that are floating around from before his first label release.

Ry Cooder -- good classic artist, not really country per se but the sounds are there.

Justin Townes Earle -- americana type stuff, not crazy about it but you might like it

Townes van Zandt -- absolute classic folk/country songwriting

Chatham County Line -- bluegrass group out of Raleigh

Chuck Prophet -- another I'm not crazy about, but got his album from Wake Radio last year... country feel

Drive-by Truckers -- lots of southern rock, but they also mix in some country style numbers. Mike Cooley and Jason Isbell's songs in particular. I love this band and their songwriting and their range is excellent. Almost impossible to pick any one album to suggest, but if you want a feel for the range of their music, start with Brighter Than Creation's Dark. Southern Rock Opera - Decoration Day - The Dirty South is sort of the southern rock triumvirate and are all excellent albums. The earlier albums don't have the same quality songwriting, but are great in their own way of watching the band evolve. Their first album, Gangstabilly, is probably the most country sounding overall, but you'll find some country sounding numbers scattered throughout the catalgoue. For example, their last album (Go-Go Boots) is dominated by a bluesy-soul rock feel, but Mike Cooley's songs on the record are all pure country acoustic (see links). I have a crush on Cooley because he writes some damn good songs and lyrics.
http://youtu.be/NzG4PaInROU
http://youtu.be/Qn48mHQlWh8
http://youtu.be/b_-TXA7IVi0

Other names I can think of... The Flatlanders are classic country, Joe Ely, Gram Parsons.. John Prine is a well known songwriter in the americana mold... North Mississippi Allstars for some southern rock.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head that's sort of in the area I think you're looking for.

Last edited:
:bowdown:

Awesome. Got some great stuff lined up for my work grooveshark tomorrow. Thanks rawarr. I already really like Chatham County Line. This was the push I needed to listen to Ryan Bingham.

just discovered Bruce Dickinson's Skunkworks project 15 years after the fact. Great album. Very un-Maiden like. More like Rush on steroids or even Soundgarden or Voivod/Angel Rat at times.

Speaking of dale earnhardt jr jr, their new cd went up on spinner today streaming. Critics don't seem to like it much, but after two listens, I love it. There are at least five songs I really enjoy, and the whole thing is very listenable.

Which ones? loved the whole ep they had

The new Bon Iver is terrific. Can't wait til the real thing comes out. I'm going to buy it.

+1

I have really enjoyed streaming it this week. Just got back from a nice Sunday night drive down the coast with the sunroof open, windows down, and this album playing on the stereo. Good stuff.

Wow one of my all time favorites, Jill Scott has a new album up streaming NPR. Can't wait to check it out tomorrow with some other new stuff.

Also, tomorrow will start off my week-long top 50 tracks of 2011 revelations. Thanks to those who sent me suggestions or posted them!

: This was the push I needed to listen to Ryan Bingham.

Same here. Thanks rawarr. Obviously loved Crazy Heart and really enjoyed his Austin City Limits TV performance, but haven't pulled the trigger to search out more of his music.

Looking forward to your list Townie. Printed up your 2010 year-end top 100 song list and still occasionally refer to it. Pos rep to you both.

Spent a lot of time with the new YACHT record and the new Black Lips record this weekend. The new YACHT record is super, super boss.

Just listened to the latest Arctic Monkeys album Suck It and See. It's quite different from their previous, Humbug, which was more bass-driven and thematically darker. Still a very good album from one of my latest band obsessions.

Back