• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

I am sure most of you have at least heard of Janelle Monae. I can't say that I really sit around and listen to her studio stuff, but she puts on a great live show.

Incredible performance from the Gladstonbury (giant limey music fest) last wknd:

my girlfriend was in janelle's singing class at amda... she has some pretty cool stories. apparently when you get there you have to sing an acappella solo to determine the level class you'll be put in, janelle sang "smile" (there's a version now of her singing it on youtube i believe) that brought everyone - including the tight ass instructors - to tears.

Pitchfork recently reviewed WU LYF pretty highly (8.4, BNM'd). I've been giving it a listen all day and I think they got this one right.

If you asked me what it's like, I'd say it's a mix between Explosions in the Sky (epic, guitar driven, orchestral arrangements) and Titus Andronicus (similar lyrical matter at times, with raspy vocals that are often indecipherable).

Pitchfork calls it "life-affirming" music. I agree. Great album.

Seems only fitting to bump the music thread today.

Watched Foo Fighters documentary Back and Forth last night. Similar to a Behind the Music but much better. Now watching the FF 2008 concert at Wembley Stadium. Just invited Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones up and played Rock and Roll. Grohl played drums and Taylor Hawkins (normal drummer) sang. Surprisingly awesome.

Are running both on VH1 Classic. Well worth watching, particularly Back and Forth if you are a FF fan at all.Also, VH1C is running a 1 hour Soundgarden concert from Lollapalooza at midnight tonight.

A lot of mixed feelings on this year's virgin freefest line-up

What musical acts can you expect at this year's FreeFest? The two main stages will include The Black Keys, Deadmau5, Cee Lo Green, TV on the Radio, Patti Smith, Empire of the Sun, Cut Copy, Grace Potter & The Nocturnals, Okkervil River, Big Sean, Two Door Cinema Club, Alberta Cross, and Bombay Bicycle Club. The Dance Forest will feature James Murphy, Calvin Harris, Ghostland Observatory, !!!, Porter Robinson, Eclectic Method, and Teddybears.

http://dc.metromix.com/music/concert/virgin-mobile-freefest-2011-columbia-area/2717004/content

What musical acts can you expect at this year's FreeFest? The two main stages will include The Black Keys, Deadmau5, Cee Lo Green, TV on the Radio, Patti Smith, Empire of the Sun, Cut Copy, Grace Potter & The Nocturnals, Okkervil River, Big Sean, Two Door Cinema Club, Alberta Cross, and Bombay Bicycle Club. The Dance Forest will feature James Murphy, Calvin Harris, Ghostland Observatory, !!!, Porter Robinson, Eclectic Method, and Teddybears.

http://dc.metromix.com/music/concert/virgin-mobile-freefest-2011-columbia-area/2717004/content

How much are tickets? I agree with the mixed feelings but there are enough good bands there to keep me happy. Ghostland Observatory is awesome live and I am dying to see The Black Keys, Empire of the Sun and Cut Copy live.

How much are tickets? I agree with the mixed feelings but there are enough good bands there to keep me happy. Ghostland Observatory is awesome live and I am dying to see The Black Keys, Empire of the Sun and Cut Copy live.

The Freefest is free :noidea:

Dave Grohl's hit-making rock n' roll machine returns to Charlotte for the first time in four years. The band announced today that it will play Time Warner Cable Arena Tuesday, November 8. Pre-sales start Wednesday, July 13 at 10 a.m. General ticket sales start Friday, July 15 via www.ticketmaster.com.

The third leg of its upcoming US tour begins at Atlanta's Gwinnett Center on November 7. Social Distortion and the Joy Formidable will open the November run. The tour follows up the band's successful seventh album, "Back and Forth."

http://cltsoundbites.blogspot.com/2011/07/foo-fighters-headings-back-to-charlotte.html

Going to see Futurebirds this Thursday night in Charleston. Put on a great live show last time I saw them in Atlanta.

Gillian Welch and David Rawlings are playing Ziggy's next month.

Incredible performers.

This thread has really dropped off with no Townie.

Got my 2 tickets for the free festival this morning. It sounds like lots of people got denied today. Hopefully tomorrow is smoother.

I'll admit that I'm not familiar with several of these acts (Black Keys, Cee Lo, TV on the Radio, Cut Copy and Okkervil are the only ones I know). Any recommendations of other stuff to listen to prior to the show?

BUMP.

Thanks for the heads up on the Freefest. I got my 2 tix this morning at 10am pretty easily (being unemployed has its benefits). So pumped.

BUMP.

Thanks for the heads up on the Freefest. I got my 2 tix this morning at 10am pretty easily (being unemployed has its benefits). So pumped.

Nice. So many people bitching about not getting free tickets. Do these morans realize that Merriweather's capacity is not unlimited?

Lots of Pitties visit Merriweather but never say hi :mad:

I did see two dudes at the Mumford and Sons concert (or maybe it was Sunday Phish) that had a giant Wake Forest bag but I didn't say anything. Probably late 30s or so

This thread has really dropped off with no Townie.

Got my 2 tickets for the free festival this morning. It sounds like lots of people got denied today. Hopefully tomorrow is smoother.

I'll admit that I'm not familiar with several of these acts (Black Keys, Cee Lo, TV on the Radio, Cut Copy and Okkervil are the only ones I know). Any recommendations of other stuff to listen to prior to the show?

From that list I'd say that The Teddybears are pretty rockin'. They've done a lot of stuff in the past w/ Iggy Pop.

Back