• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

I have seen the Jerry Garcia Band and Steely Dan at Merriweather Post

Caught Gillian Welch and David Rawlings at the Millennium Center tonight. Great as always. David Rawlings is a freakin' god on acoustic guitar.

Gillian Welch is playing the "WinocaFest" @ the USS North Carolina on 08/27 along with The Felice Brothers. Will most likely go check it out. I've never seen either live.

Other bands that will be there that I've not heard: Those Darlins; Onward, Soldiers; Mandolin Orange; The Old Ceremony; Hammer No More the Fingers.

Listening to Frightened Rabbit today at work. Midnight Organ Fight (2008) first then The Winter of Mixed Drinks (2010).

They've been in my consciousness for a while, but haven't really ever sat down and listened.

Yep. Grows on you and you have to be in right mood though. Kicked it out of my 6 disc car player this morning for Charles Bradley.

Listening to the new Bon Iver today. This is some slow ass shit.

Don't really understand the hype for the new Bon Iver, it really is quite slow and boring. Two other records recently released that mine the same territory and are so much better are the new Fruit Bats cd, 'Tripper', and former Greensboro resident Andy Cabic's new cd under the name Vetiver called 'The Errant Charm'.

Been watching/listening to a lot of Palladia in the past month. Always show highlights (1-3 hours) of festivals: Glastonbury, Hyde Park, Oxegen, Sonisphere, ACL, Lollapalooza, Coachella, etc. Also will dedicate 30-60 minutes to showing selected artists live, usually in Europe with insane crowds.

Love some feedback on these bands:
Vampire Weekend: albums or singles? Like about 5-6 songs on their 1st album, but only know Holiday and Giving Up the Gun from Contra.

Probably just going to buy some singles from these 3 groups:
Editors
Arctic Monkeys
Interpol

Would love some suggestions. Thanks......and this thread needed to be bumped.

Found myself listening to a lot of James Blake lately. It's like if you took Bon Iver and made it 60% weirder. But I dig it. Wish Townie were still around to opine on this type of thing.

New mix from Townie!

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?hmd8u4h0iw9hpk7

1. Left Behind (Beat Happening cover) - Yellow Ostrich
2. A Conversation about Death on New Years Eve - Scattered Trees
3. Jenny - Walk the Moon*
4. Murder Room - Pepper Rabbit
5. Top Bunk - Gauntlet Hair
6. Content - The Features
7. Crooked Road - Water Tower Bucket Boys
8. Jules' Story - Crystal Antlers
9. Fallout - Neon Indian
10. When I Was High - Nikkiya
11. Cosmonauts - Kites With Lights
12. 2 Forms of Anger - Brian Eno
13. Vorms - Collections of Colonies of Bees

* this is not a new song by any means, the cd came out in November 2010, but we saw them at Lolla, and their show was tremendous. just bought their LP. also the water tower bucket boys just played a local show here and they are just absolutely rowdy. their cd came out in april i believe?

Gillian Welch is playing the "WinocaFest" @ the USS North Carolina on 08/27 along with The Felice Brothers. Will most likely go check it out. I've never seen either live.

Other bands that will be there that I've not heard: Those Darlins; Onward, Soldiers; Mandolin Orange; The Old Ceremony; Hammer No More the Fingers.

I'll probably be going to this.

I get to listen to Dylan scratch and wail away tonight

At the NC Music Factory with qcdeac waiting for My Morning Jacket to start after a thunderstorm. Nell Case opened. Not bad.

Back