• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

St. Vincent definitely isn't as good as this go-round, and she sort of hyped up the expectations with her crazy site and the scheduled Twitter leaks of songs and stuff.

She is a sexual beast though.

Check her out doing some more rock-type stuff earlier this year :swoon:

She rocked live the time I saw her. And was smoking hot. Then one of her crew asked me if I could score them some coke. I could not. Ended up hanging with Andrew Bird's band that evening, Dosh and Michael Lewis (who also plays sax in Gayngs), both of whom were super cool and laid back and did not ask me to score them some coke. Then it turned out they were both actual friends with some Minneapolis friends of mine, but I only found that out later.

I've probably told this story before but I don't care.

Anyone in DC want two tickets for the Freefest? I was really looking forward to going, but I've had a family emergency come up. I can email them if anyone wants them.

nevermind, they've been claimed.

Last edited:
New Clap Your Hands Say Yeah on NPR, and new Kooks on Spinner.

Wow, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah still exist. Hype or not, that first album is great.

Yeah I won't say this album was worth the wait, but its better than the hurried follow-up.

Just wanted to say that I saw the Black Lips on Saturday. Even though they sold out the Variety Playhouse in Atlanta the last time they played here (intown theater that holds maybe 1200), they decided to play a beat up redneck juke joint south of the airport called Southern Comfort (of course) that held maybe 400. It sold out of course.

The crowd was an extremely interesting mix of intown hipsters and Winter's Bone methmonkeys. The show was great though. Deerhunter bro came on stage for a Ramones cover (dressed like joey ramone). The Lips put on the best show of any ATL band, and are a serious breath of fresh air from all the shoegazey indie shows out there. I seriously rec them if they come to your city. Don't stand near the front though unless you want to get jostled, soaked with beer and see lots of b00bs though.

New mix!

http://www.mediafire.com/?84b6gr17jsg8ezg

1. Manchester - Kishi Bashi
2. Egg on a Sea - Cotton Jones
3. Future Crimes - Wild Flag
4. Miranda - Surfer Blood
5. Something or Nothing - Netherlands
6. We Will Never Be Discovered - The City and Horses
7. Fang - ERAAS
8. Without a Cause - Southerly
9. Thinking About You - Frank Ocean
10. So Special - Lil Wayne f. John Legend
11. Shut Up, Dude - Das Racist f. El-P
12. Garfield - Hair Mary Mallon
13. Audio, Video, Disco - Justice

Notes:
- Kishi Bashi is an Of Montreal solo project (preview the new album at bandcamp).
- "Egg on the Sea" is a live Daytrotter recording. The song appears in album version on bandcamp from February this year.
- Wild Flag and Surfer Blood are the heart and soul of this week's blog hits
- Tracks 5-8 are varying degrees of alternative, experimental, and pop. Listen for which track sounds like it could be hidden somewhere in the middle of Doolittle. Deranged, but jumpy and catchy.
- Tracks 9-12 are hip-hop, R&B, and rap songs

Hail Mary Mallon are: Aesop Rock, Rob Sonic, DJ Big Wiz.

Their music is futurist or post-modern hip hop. Pitchfork called it pleasantly low stakes, and generally gave it unflattering reviews, but it's freaky and bumping.

Yeah, but is the song about Garfield the cat? Or is it about Garfield the president or some lame town in the Midwest?

I wouldn't say it's "about" anything:

"Document the war of the department-store Santas from the POV of cameras hid in the dog's antlers."

Favorite Iron and Wine album?

Mine is hands down Shepherds Dog. Pitchfork has Creek Drank the Cradle as a top 200 album of the 2000s, but to me, that album is incredibly bland. I listened to t twice Friday to try and understand the review, but it never clicked. Nice debut, but its got nothing on Shepherds Dog IMO.

Favorite Iron and Wine album?

Mine is hands down Shepherds Dog. Pitchfork has Creek Drank the Cradle as a top 200 album of the 2000s, but to me, that album is incredibly bland. I listened to t twice Friday to try and understand the review, but it never clicked. Nice debut, but its got nothing on Shepherds Dog IMO.

Surprisingly I pick his most recent, Kiss Each Other Clean. Really like the new style he's going for.

I like Our Endless Numbered Days, but I've only listened to a couple of his records.

Back