• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

Rare British psych folk rock record. Some of the band jammed with King Crimson.

I saw a comment about this next one, that was like, If the Zombies had a little more of a tan and if the Monkees something something something or other, that I now forget, but didn't really understand in the first place, although it all seemed apt. I was invited to a Facebook secret group that is just people posting what they are listening to at the moment, and it has taken up my feed, which would be cool but people post all the time on it and not all of it is cool. Some good stuff, though.

I was flipping through some old videos and came upon a Jeff Beck version of People Get Ready with Joss Stone and Tal Wilkenfled. I thought about who were my favorite female bassists. So here goes:

Carol Kaye - is the Godmother of female bassists. For decades she was a member of the great sessions group the Wrecking Crew. I wouldn't be surprised if she played on 5000 or 10,000 songs.
Tina Weymouth- Talking Heads, She created the incredible beat and songs. Her lines really drove some of David Byre's songs to new places in rock.
Kim Deal - The Pixies- wow, helped open more doors.
Esperanza Spalding- what can't she do? She plays the double bass like Charles Mingus; is amazing on the electric bass and has a haunting voice...and she's barely 30. That's just not right.
Tal Wilkenfeld- Another barely 30 monster. She plays jazz, rock and everything else. Like The Ox, Tal makes the bass a real instrument.

Carol Kaye is a legend. Lately, I've been getting into the bassist from Khruangbin, but it hasn't been because of her playing really, although it's fine, it's just I could watch her bop and sway all day.

People going crazy over this Glenn Branca cat dying and I had never even heard of him. Man, must be a pretty major gap. I listen to a lot of music.

I tried to listen to three of his performances. All were noise to me. Even his "symphonies" are noise.

I live 30 minutes away and I just can't get psyched about any of these local festies. That looks ok -- heard decent things about Miguel, though never listened; I've seen Grizzly Bear a few times, but just saw them last fall -- they're one of my faves, but I'm not gonna brave the crowds just for them. Not many of the other acts get me pumped and a ton of them have played/will play around here within six months. Some people I'd definitely pay to see, just not sure I want to deal with all the extras. Maybe I'm just getting old.

How the FUCK does Mipso get billing that high? Holy shit. Those guys all used to come in the Music Library. One of them "played" viol in my group, but wasn't good/didn't practice and ended up just doing pizzicato renditions of "Carolina In My Mind" for the end of semester recital. Nice kids, but shit.

It'd be cool to see Hailu Mergia I think. Thundercat. Circuit des Yeux.

Real Estate can suck one. I don't know.

I live 30 minutes away and I just can't get psyched about any of these local festies. That looks ok -- heard decent things about Miguel, though never listened; I've seen Grizzly Bear a few times, but just saw them last fall -- they're one of my faves, but I'm not gonna brave the crowds just for them. Not many of the other acts get me pumped and a ton of them have played/will play around here within six months. Some people I'd definitely pay to see, just not sure I want to deal with all the extras. Maybe I'm just getting old.

How the FUCK does Mipso get billing that high? Holy shit. Those guys all used to come in the Music Library. One of them "played" viol in my group, but wasn't good/didn't practice and ended up just doing pizzicato renditions of "Carolina In My Mind" for the end of semester recital. Nice kids, but shit.

It'd be cool to see Hailu Mergia I think. Thundercat. Circuit des Yeux.

Real Estate can suck one. I don't know.

If anyone has any names on that list that you feel I've missed that I'd dig, let me know, though. Belle & Sebastian and Liz Phair and the Revolution, I all see the potential appeal, and I have fond memories of all of them at some point in my life, but yeah. Kind of only want to think about the Jayhawks as Gary Louris and Mark Olson.

Just spitballing here. Stream of consciousness. Bear with me.

I've seen Waxahachee and Speedy Ortiz several times each and they were great. Cookout and DF2009's little bro swears by Lomelda -- has an album cover tattoo and everything.

No comments on the new Arctic Monkeys album? I've listened a couple times, thought it was weird at first, but I'm definitely a fan.

I have never listened to Arctic Monkeys, but I see a lot of people having many opinions on this album, so I may get around to it someday.

I have to come back to this one every so often, I've probably posted it before. Written after spending a year in the hospital after breaking his back and losing the use of his legs from falling in a drunken attempt to leave a house party via a rusty drain pipe. Masterpiece.

This month has been pretty friggin' great so far. Very good releases from Iceage, Beach House, and Arctic Monkeys. Tomorrow we get new albums from Parquet Courts, Courtney Barnett, and Stephen Malkmus.

what a time to be alive

For the last several months, whenever just listening to SiriusXM or a channel on Spotify, any song that made me say "hey I really like this, who is the artist?" was inevitably Courtney Barnett. I need to embrace my fandom and support her financially. I'm certainly excited for new Malkmus, he's more age appropriate for me.

Be wary of Parquet Courts. I just Googled them to see if I had heard them before. The first link takes me to an article where they say unkind things about Tom Brady.

Though Dave Matthews doesn't really fit the typical musical styles in this thread, if anyone cares, Boyd Tinsley (the violinist) just got kicked out of the band after some pretty gross allegations (with text message proof) of sexual misconduct towards a guy in a band he helped start in San Francisco.

Back