• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

I hate Weezer's cover of Africa so much that it's making me irrationally start to hate other Weezer. Like blue album Weezer. Like I'm about to tell it to get off my lawn.

Took the 5, 7, and 8 year old to Lolla yesterday. Hung out at Kidzapalooza for a couple of hours -- tons to do there, watch bands, get tattoos, get hair colored, sit on a blanket eating a shitload of food while adults drink beer, etc. Then watched Manchester Orchestra and Portugal the Man. No chance we were going to make it to Jack White, though. Overall, great experience with the little ones -- so I recommend it while they are 10 and under and free.

Two cool avant-garde fusion sets from Terje Rypdal.

Last edited:
Nice. I will check it out. Thanks.

This kid was 15 (!) when he did this in 1968. Crazy, man, crazy.

Found it. Maybe not as close as I thought a couple of minutes ago, but it's got some of that same choppy feeling. I don't know, it just reminded me of it.

Found it. Maybe not as close as I thought a couple of minutes ago, but it's got some of that same choppy feeling. I don't know, it just reminded me of it.

Both Gay and Parker are members of the Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians (AACM) based in Chicago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_for_the_Advancement_of_Creative_Musicians

AACM is connected to the visual arts group AfriCOBRA who has put out some super dope shit: https://www.google.com/search?q=afr...pdvcAhUOW60KHfdsDpwQ_AUICigB&biw=1440&bih=780

That's cool that there is a connection. It makes sense; Parker jams with Tortoise, who are based in Chicago (or who originated there). I didn't realize that until yesterday when I went back to it. He started playing with them on TNT, which is one of my favorite records of all time.

Lineup also features jazz drummer Makaya McCraven, who is a local favorite. This album was borne out of jam sessions he did on a weekly basis in an old bank vault turned bar/restaurant (since closed), that I was able to attend a few times. Hip hop influences. Bassist on the album -- Junius Paul -- is another local fave.

More hot shit (mostly) Norwegian jazz for RJ. HOT SHIT! Keith Jarrett chewing scenery here though, like he does. Settle down, Keith. I hope no one coughed during this.

Not sure where this belongs, but usic thread seems logical. SIAP, but Spencer from Ziggy's fame passed away this week. Great guy. He will be missed. Service in Winston coming in September. RIP.

When I was in South Africa, there was a 16 yo black kid who called himself Jethro. He was an absolute guitar monster and prodigy. I tried to look him up but was unable to find anything about him. He could have easily been swept up by the apartheid government for being so popular. It was a shame he wasn't in the US or Europe.

A regular in my rotation. A masterpiece paranoid psych folk album.

bill-fay-time-of-the-last-persecution-569ff2495f9b58eba4ae1176.jpg

On his self-titled 1970 debut, Bill Fay played like a pleasingly-tuneful Bob Dylan acolyte: all intellectual lyrics and thinking-man's folk-rock. Whatever happened in the space of a year, the Fay of 1971's Time of the Last Persecution cut an entirely different figure. Fay suddenly sounded wild-eyed and unhinged, lost in the midst of post-'60s paranoia as he presided over a set of apocalyptic folksongs steeped in Biblical terror. Here, he sings of the imminence of End Days, climaxing in a title-track whose free-jazz freakout verily summons the rapture. The album disappeared into oblivion, and so did Fay. Yet, after his albums were touted by Wilco, Destroyer, Okkervil River, and Nick Cave, Fay was eventually coaxed back into the studio 40 years later.

Nice. I know his first, self-titled, and the one that came out a few years ago, Life Is People. I look forward to checking this out.

Back