• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

He was weird. Weird was often misconstrued as innovative and cutting edge. Being an artist as well as a musician was considered cool at the time.

He was weird. Weird was often misconstrued as innovative and cutting edge. Being an artist as well as a musician was considered cool at the time.

Those were my thoughts, but I am not often nuanced with my understanding of culture.

At the time, nuanced about culture could have meant take some more LSD and say something in the morning.

Some of the stuff other than Trout Mask is a little more approachable. But yeah, avant-garde experimental pop stuff. It can be grating for sure, but I like to play it sometimes and shake things up. Part of it for me, too, is wondering WHY I'm uncomfortable listening to it, and going beyond "well, it sounds weird." Same thing happened to me at a recent show featuring a John Cage piece. I also totally get the sentiment that if one has to do that to get anything out of it, then what's the point, but that's where I'm at.

But yeah, also the sound of people tearing shit up whilst on drugs (you and/or the performer) can be fun.

Ain't it just like the night to play tricks when you're trying to be so quiet. Jerry does the MAN justice.

Damn, I fucking love Spotify's Year In Review - such a great use of data to engage users.

-7,094 different songs streamed
-First song of 2018 - "She Talks to Angels" - Black Crowes
-60,656 minutes of listening time
-50 hours listening to Mom Jeans. (I love emo music; fell hard and fast for this band :wtftard:)
-Top Artists: Mom Jeans., The Black Crowes, The Get Up Kids, Led Zeppelin, Avett Brothers
-I listen to non-mainstream artists 77% more than the average spotify user
-Oldest Song I listened to: "Round Midnight" (1951) by Thelonious Monk
-Top Genre: Rock

Last edited:
Oh man, this just popped up in my Top 100...such a sweet, laid back, feel good jam - great guitar solo on the outro too.

Damn, I fucking love Spotify's Year In Review - such a great use of data to engage users.

-50 hours listening to Mom Jeans. (I love emo music; fell hard and fast for this band :wtftard:)
-Top Artists: Mom Jeans., The Black Crowes, The Get Up Kids, Led Zeppelin, Avett Brothers

Frank Ocean was my #1 this year

-First song of 2018: PCH One by the Pernice Brothers
-49,248 minutes
-36 hours listening to Todd Rundgren
-Top Artists: Rundgren, Belle & Sebastian, Harry Nilsson, Grateful Dead, Phish
-Top Songs: Tangled up in Blue, Thirteen, Round and Round, Ooh La La, Another Weekend
-81% more non-mainstream artists than the average
-Oldest: Poinciana by Ahmad Jamal, 1951

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned on the thread, but Todd's cousin went to Wake in the mid-70s.

Where did you all see that spotify data? Is it available on the mobile version?

IMG_0379.jpg
332e352a1b7510480ebd88f81066bc2e.jpg

I shared this whole set on the chat thread, but this one cut is so great it deserves its own post. God's music.

Two new ones from Cass McCombs. I might have shared the first one before. My b.

Some of the stuff other than Trout Mask is a little more approachable. But yeah, avant-garde experimental pop stuff. It can be grating for sure, but I like to play it sometimes and shake things up. Part of it for me, too, is wondering WHY I'm uncomfortable listening to it, and going beyond "well, it sounds weird." Same thing happened to me at a recent show featuring a John Cage piece. I also totally get the sentiment that if one has to do that to get anything out of it, then what's the point, but that's where I'm at.

But yeah, also the sound of people tearing shit up whilst on drugs (you and/or the performer) can be fun.

Mark Abraham w/Cokemachineglow did an Awesome "Retconning" feature back in the mid-2000's. I really enjoyed his recommendations/takes on Prog Rock (he did two differents columns on different sub-categories). It's a good read if you haven't checked it out. Recently found someone had backed up a more readable version of it all here: https://gist.github.com/modality/2df28812a72a2bd8d6e2ad45b8db3af1

Some really good stuff you'd appreciate, I think (if you haven't already read it).

His take on Trout Mask:
When that opening dissonance cuts beneath Don Van Vliet’s gorgeous melody (“My smile is stuck / I can’t go back to your frown land!”) the basic formula for this album is pretty clear: hot hooks obfuscated by tentacles of music. A method compounded by the fact that many of these gorgeous melodies were recorded away from the band in a separate room, live, where Vliet had to rely on the vague sound leakage through the walls. It’s obtuse shit, and consequently Trout Mask Replica has had its proponents slinging around any number of theories about why it’s good over the years: it’s philosophically erudite once you get past the dense imagery of his lyrics; the music sounds like free jazz but it’s actually rehearsed; you just don’t get what a genius Beefheart is! Yes and no. It is a work of genius, and John Peel was pretty close when he said that (at the time he said this anyway) “if there has been anything in the history of popular music which could be described as a work of art in a way that people who are involved in other areas of art would understand, then Trout Mask Replica is probably that work.” But it has its drawbacks, too. The album goes on for an eternity, for one, which is only a problem insofar as the difficulty of the music makes this one of those albums that is a strain to sit with. The sheer uniformity of vision (there are no breaks here; it’s all wild) is both breathtaking and maddening, and should you choose to unpack the image-laden lyrics (referencing everything from politics to Steve Reich to in jokes with producer Zappa about jellies) it’s quite the exercise. On the other hand, even as it unfolds deliberately and unstoppably at you it’s also built with a variety of ways into the euphoria: stray garage licks, free jazz, Vliet’s blues vocals, and those pristine, gorgeous melodies. Gorgeous and strange, Trout Mask Replica is still a unique document almost 50 years later. Who could improve on this?

Haven't read that, but it looks cool, so thanks for sharing. I'll check it out.

Back