• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

I want to check out all of these, as well. More jazz/world stuff, I guess, whatever you want to call it. Chris Potter used to jam with Steely Dan, so you know he has chops.

https://www.wbgo.org/post/take-five...ls-and-larry-grenadier-goes-it-alone#stream/0

chris_potter__credit-_dave_stapleton_-0139.jpg

Average Pop Song Length by Decade.

2010s: 4m 26s
2000s: 4m 10s
1990s: 4m 14s
1980s: 4m 08s
1970s: 3m 55s
1960s: 2m 59s
1940s: 2m 41s
1950s: 2m 36s

Dunno anything about the methodology here but would you suggest we’ve

A) Got more to say
B) Gotten worse at saying it
C) Both

The change from the 70s until today are marginal. The big switch from the 60s to 70s was mostly created by the development of "free form" and FM radio. There was basically open warfare between the artists and stations.

As Billy Joel said:

"I am the entertainer
I come to do my show
You've heard my latest record
It's been on the radio
Ah, it took me years to write it
They were the best years of my life
It was a beautiful song
But it ran too long
If you're gonna have a hit
You gotta make it fit
So they cut it down to 3:05"

Recording has come a long way from the 50s when my uncle put together extension cords to go from his studio to a stair well to get echo for one of his first hits to the technology of today.

In the late 70s/early 80s, the biggest change came when you could take out a single note with the press of a button versus using a razor blade and glue or having the artist do take after take.

In the mid-80s, Apple came out with the Fairlight computer system. It cost about $40,000. I knew someone who had one in their tiny studio and it was a who's who coming to play with it. One of my favorites during this time was Vanity. She was so beautiful and incredibly sweet.

Today you can get much more for under $500.

Average Pop Song Length by Decade.

2010s: 4m 26s
2000s: 4m 10s
1990s: 4m 14s
1980s: 4m 08s
1970s: 3m 55s
1960s: 2m 59s
1940s: 2m 41s
1950s: 2m 36s

Dunno anything about the methodology here but would you suggest we’ve

A) Got more to say
B) Gotten worse at saying it
C) Both

Some of it is technology, too. In the 40s, 50s, and 60s, there was only so much song a 45 could hold. I think there were some radio industry standards too, that meant that most songs had to be under a certain length, but I could be misremembering that, too.

Fuck, Mark Hollis of Talk Talk died. His solo album is one of the most quiet and beautiful albums. The last couple of Talk Talk records were fucking fantastic, too. Jeez. 64.

Came here to post it. RIP Mark. Made some of the very best music in the late 80s early 90s. So endlessly influential.

Cool set from the LEGEND, Jordi Savall. Based on his soundtrack to Tous les matins du monde, a cheesy biopic about viola da gamba players starring Gerard Depardieu and his son, not the most convincing viol mimers, but oh well, there have probably been worse offenders faking playing music in movies. But what a soundtrack. I played some of the Marais he does in the first set here for my senior recital. And killed. Slapped. Fucked. Whatever.

https://www.wqxr.org/story/thursday-jordi-savall-and-le-concert-des-nations/

Anyway, if you're in to early music at all, check it out. Some pretty dank jamming, actually.

I saw a show from Marina and the Diamonds from 2016 on PBS. I loved the band and thought she was a little better than average. I did like the video stuff she did. Then, I looked them up and found out she dumped the band. BOOOO...

Never really got into Sebadoh, but this sounds alright, I guess I'll check some other stuff out. Anyone have some good Sebadoh recs? I know one of the dudes used to play with the Friedbergers and Fiery Furnaces, so that's cool.

Never really got into Sebadoh, but this sounds alright, I guess I'll check some other stuff out. Anyone have some good Sebadoh recs? I know one of the dudes used to play with the Friedbergers and Fiery Furnaces, so that's cool.

I just came here to post this. Lou Barlow has some great music out there. I named my first dog after him. Bakesale is probably their best album all around. Jake Lowenstein’s (the guy from fiery furnaces) best contributions probably came on 1999’s “the Sebadoh” but the word is that Lou was drugged out and getting divorced at that time so the album is inconsistent. Their really early stuff “freed weed” or “freed man” emerged from Lou’s contributions to Dinosaur Jr. I really like it but it’s an acquired taste.

Back