• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

Heard the founder of the Paradise of Bachelors label read from his upcoming biography of Terry Allen, and it sounded pretty cool.

Got tix for Billy Strings at the Orange Peel on Halloween. Should be a rager. That guy can fucking rip on the guitar.

Orchestral big band psych weirdness from the guy who co-composed and arranged Histoire de Melody Nelson for Gainsbourg. Love it.

Is it as good as the real cover of Boz Scaggs' Slow Dancer?

61A558bxOvL._SY355_.jpg

But yeah, I think I know what you're talking about. Double full frontal. Lots of hair.

Really digging these guys; looks like they're going to be in Denver in October so I'm going to have to make a run at that show.

I've hyped it before but the podcast I Only Listen to the Mountain Goats is good. This week they do Younger, which apparently was the title track before they changed the album name to In League with Dragons.

John is pretty neurotic and unfocused a lot of the time, but he gets a guitar out in this one and explains different versions of the song and how they got to the final version and has some interesting stuff to say about long careers in music. I think it's my favorite episode of the season if not my favorite song on the album.

Set a goal of hitting a Jam Band trifecta this summer by seeing Widespread Panic, Dead & Co, and Phish. Tonight is WSP at Red Rocks - will be my first Panic show, and my buddy's 265th Panic show. Should be a good time tonight!

Going to Dead & Co next Friday and then 2 nights of Phish when the come to Dick's at the end of August.

I’ve been on a huge Dead kick the last couple of months, but Dead and Co were only going to Charlotte. I’d be actually super tempted — I’m not really feeling John-boy’s vocals on the Jerry songs all that much, but digging his picking.

Fully support this mission though leftcoast. I also missed Phish in Charlotte last week. I’d have considered Raleigh shows for both. I’ve also never seen Widespread but they are a distant third for me among that trio.

Mayer played Jerry's Wolf guitar for a whole show recently and he sounded fantastic. Problem is D&C generally just play too slow, but they're still a fun time. JRAD is where it's at for Dead, though.

Yeah Wolf showing up was cool. There was a great Bob Weir article in GQ recently where he addresses the slow playing with something like “the notes need more space to live and breathe, each is its own universe, mannn,” or something and I wasn’t really buying it.

Back