• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

If the documentary, Echo in the Canyon, gets to your neighborhood, people who post on this thread should go. It tells the story of the amazing people and music who lived in Laurel Canyon in the 60s. From Buffalo Springfield and The Mammas and Papas to Tom Petty, CSN and Dylan were all there.

João Gilberto, Master Of Bossa Nova, Dies At 88

615BAf-Xp7L._SL1200_.jpg

Chris68

This is the best dead album they never wrote

But it’s even better than that

Masterpiece

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ogCHUHD-y1Q&list=OLAK5uy_l6yMRPkE5Sso_UTB_3bgBmXE6C-TGGlfI

The Dead made a cleaner cut from psychedelic music when they went in the folk country direction. This sounds like CSN or CSNY, not really the GD, even though their members contributed. It's a really good album, but the dead made their own significant contributions to the development of the country folk rock scene

Last edited:
The Dead made a cleaner cut from psychedelic music when they went in the folk country direction. This sounds like CSN or CSNY, not really the GD, even though their members contributed. It's a really good album, but the dead made their own significant contributions to the development of the country folk rock scene

Chris, there’s Dead guitar all over the place

This album is incredible

On relistening, you are correct

But I fucking love this record and I just for some sad reason discivered it

Thought Dead & Co was great last night; don’t know if I buy the criticism that they are slow.

I’ve seen John Mayer before and listened to all his albums, but I really think he’s at his best right now with Dead & Co - he’s just so fucking good and he can play these songs so well.

Setlist from 7/5:

Set 1:
Not Fade Away
(The Crickets cover)

Cold Rain and Snow
([traditional] cover) (followed by an 80 minute weather delay)

Set 2:
Cold Rain and Snow - reprise
Bertha
(Grateful Dead cover)

Me and My Uncle
(John Phillips cover)

Ramble On Rose
(Grateful Dead cover)

Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo
(Grateful Dead cover)

Cassidy
(Bob Weir cover)

Deal
(Jerry Garcia cover)

Box of Rain
(Grateful Dead cover)

China Cat Sunflower
(Grateful Dead cover)

I Know You Rider
([traditional] cover)

Terrapin Station
(Grateful Dead cover)

Drums
(Grateful Dead cover)

Space
(Grateful Dead cover)

Casey Jones
(Grateful Dead cover)

The Other One
(Grateful Dead cover)

Morning Dew
(Bonnie Dobson cover)

Encore:
The Weight
(The Band cover)

U.S. Blues
(Grateful Dead cover)

Last night was Avett Brothers at Red Rocks - another beautiful night on the Rocks. Great energy last night and a set that I enjoyed more than the last few times I saw them. Got to the show a little later than planned, but still managed to get a couple of seats in Row 25 for me and the wife. Shout out to Bridget from CT for letting us sit next to her!

Really like their cover of "I shall be released" - they do a great job with that song.

Set list:

Black Mountain Rag
([traditional] cover)

Satan Pulls the Strings

Live and Die

Swept Away

Down With the Shine

Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise

Who Will I Hold

High Steppin

Rejects in the Attic

The Ballad of Love and Hate

I Would Be Sad

At the Beach

Talk on Indolence

All My Mistakes

Forever and Ever, Amen
(Randy Travis cover)

Untitled Four

C-Sections and Railway Trestles

Ain't No Man

Signs

Vanity

Mama, I Don't Believe

Laundry Room

I Killed Sally's Lover

I Shall Be Released
(Bob Dylan cover)

If It's the Beaches

Encore:
Thank God I'm a Country Boy
(John Denver cover)

No Hard Feelings

Last edited:
Also, want to throw out a plug for the ReListen app; great place to find recordings of shows. They don't have a ton of artists on the platform, but it's free and easy to use.

Last edited:
Panic was awesome! The crowd was super into the music, the weather was great, the band sounded great...awesome experience. Perfect night at Red Rocks; 10/10 would recommend.

I was there for 6/29 and 6/30 - incredible shows. First time seeing music at Red Rocks - exceeded all expectations. Highly recommend.

Also, want to throw out a plug for the ReListen app; great place to find recordings of shows. They don't have a ton of artists on the platform, but it's free and easy to use.

They have most of the bands that have recordings on the Live Music Archive, as well as some others like Widespread Panic (via the site PanicStream) and Phish (via their equivalent to PanicStream).

And if you don't know, you can get pretty much any Dead show at archive.org for free. Often straight soundboard recordings. Pretty crazy.

They have most of the bands that have recordings on the Live Music Archive, as well as some others like Widespread Panic (via the site PanicStream) and Phish (via their equivalent to PanicStream).

Ah, Live Music Archive probably = archive.org. My b.

Panic's songwriting just doesn't do it for me. I do love me some Jimmy Herring though.

Panic's songwriting just doesn't do it for me. I do love me some Jimmy Herring though.

I just saw that Jimmy Herring is touring this fall with the 5 of 7 band - you might be able to catch him with that line up!

Perhaps a sign I'm getting older, but this is the year I've known the least # of artists at XPN in the 11 years I've been going, so who should I be excited about? http://xpnfest.org/daily-schedule/

Currently am excited to see Japanese Breakfast, St Paul & and the Broken Bones, JS Ondara, Wood Brothers, Caroline Rose, and Lucy Dacus. Anyone else?

Back