• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

I enjoyed this list of unranked, not really hierarchical, releases of the last decade that this publication just dug for whatever reason, not because they are good, better, best or anything -- just jumped out to them. Anyway, there's a Spotify playlist associated, too. Enjoy, if it looks like your sort of thing.

https://aquariumdrunkard.com/2019/10/30/aquarium-drunkard-decade-2010-19/

Thanks for posting.

I didn't know Jim O'Rourke had an album out in 2016. That guys is a great song writer. His late 90's early 2000's albums were amazing.

Going to see Bobby Previte's Voodoo Orchestra with Charlie Hunter play Miles Davis' Bitches Brew friday night at the Carolina Theater in GSO. Pretty stoked. The kinda show you would see at the Blue Note or Yoshi's.

Great show last night from Joan Shelley with Jake X. Fussell opening. I've seen Fussell and handful of times and he's been just #fine each time, but last night the playing, singing, and stage presence were all elevated just that extra bit. Closing number with Nathan Bowles on drums and Nathan Salsburg on guitar was choice. Definitely got lost in the cool, calm waters of laid back Jake guitar picking for a couple of tunes.

Joan Shelley I've been aware of for the past year or so, and I caught a couple solo numbers of hers when she opened for Richard Thompson last year in Saxapahaw (her opening for Richard Thompson should be enough of an endorsement). When exploring Nathan Salsburg's career more, I got hooked into her stuff a little bit, as they are partners (I think, like, romantically in life, too?). Her latest album is pretty good, if totally inoffensive and lacking any kind of edge, but a very pastoral and pleasant vibe. I wasn't expecting much more than that good vibe on a misty autumn evening when I should have been practicing for my own gig, but the first half hour had Salsburg switching up on some electric, a fiddle player singing harmony, and Bowles and Fussell backing on very tasteful percussion and bass, really complimenting Shelley's voice and own picking. She knows her range, doesn't try to blast anyone away, and stays right there as part of the unit, assured and secure. I totally transcended the plane for a few tunes at the beginning and thought I was like witnessing Liege and Lief Fairport Convention a couple of times, though it lacked the witchiness of Sandy Denny and spike of Richard Thompson. It lagged a bit, probably because I was more tired than anything to do with their playing, but closed strong. I was v stoned.

Anyway, great show, really good stuff, not from totally under the radar, but exceeding my expectations. Check them out if they are swinging by you.

Can we embed instagrams? Anyway, check out the two short clips below if that sounds like your thing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4RSQLwFQBS/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Last edited:
going to this tonight

billy-strings-halloween-2019.jpg

Nice.

Happy belated bert-day to Bert Jansch, one of the greats. RIP Bert. Wish I could have seen this cat. We have the masters to this upstairs, so maybe I should see if the engineers want to string up the reel to reel.

Going to see Bobby Previte's Voodoo Orchestra with Charlie Hunter play Miles Davis' Bitches Brew friday night at the Carolina Theater in GSO. Pretty stoked. The kinda show you would see at the Blue Note or Yoshi's.

This was incredible. Bobby Previte is a goddamn badass on the drums. Charlie Hunter is Charlie Hunter, and the other musicans were very good.

Ticket sales are such a fucking joke - logged into the Sturgill Simpson presale and everything but 300 level tickets are sold out about 45 minutes after the presale started. Of course, a quick look at Stubhub reveals tickets available for 2x retail in mass quantities at this point.

Last edited:
Agreed. Also crazy that a lot of concert tickets go on sale for 6-8 months before the show too.

Is Luke Combs good? Because all my current and former students talk about him like he's Jesus and can't shut up about the album he released last night.

He is a shittier, fatter Zac Brown. Your kids are redbird TrumpGumps in training. Lost causes.

I want to believe you, but you once told me that going to a Jason Isbell concert was like watching a fat, drunk redneck sing bad karaoke. So I kinda gots to question your expertise when it comes to country music, man.

Back