• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

Shit, and the Dodos are opening the City Plaza show on Friday. Last year when the Rosebuds started playing that show it was still very light outside and relatively dead. That is going to be a SICK atmosphere!

I'm going to stop thinking about this, because I'll probably just get pissed off. I can see most of these bands anyway over the next year just by jumping on my bike.

One thing I mentioned in an email to Chupacabra is that I suspect that money had something to do with the bookings of headliners. Apparently the organizers lost $50,000 on this festival last year. If I'm a band that could draw a pretty good size crowd to the Downtown Raleigh Amphitheatre or the Cats Cradle on my own, maybe I'd prefer to do that, get paid more, and be able to schedule it around my own calendar (not to mention avoid competition from a bunch of other bands playing in nearby venues at the same time).

My friend Beth is in Times New Viking, and their new album on Merge is streaming on NPR now.

http://www.npr.org/2011/04/17/135023711/first-listen-times-new-viking-dancer-equired

timesnewviking_forreal_wide.jpg

Wow, random - do you know Adam Elliott? I went to high school with him in a small town in Ohio.

Shit, and the Dodos are opening the City Plaza show on Friday. Last year when the Rosebuds started playing that show it was still very light outside and relatively dead.

Yep, didn't the Rosebuds come on at like 5:30 or 6:00 on Friday last year? Not the best atmosphere for a concert.

I met the other two guys when they came through here for a show a year ago or so, but I don't really know them. I knew Beth because I hired her when she was a freshman or sophomore at the Columbus College of Art and Design and I was working at the Wexner Center at OSU, the contemporary arts center on campus there. That was well before she even picked up an instrument though.

We hung out some and hit up some bars to see some music together, but she never even talked about an interest in starting a band or anything. She was selling her work for like 500 bucks a pop at that time, so she seemed somewhat serious about that.

Yep, didn't the Rosebuds come on at like 5:30 or 6:00 on Friday last year? Not the best atmosphere for a concert.

Yeah, in fact, it was still light out when Broken Social Scene came on. That is a lame set time even if you are on one of the main bills.

Dylan Gilbert

Lol. Used to hang out with this guy quite frequently when I was a freshman/sophomore in College and spending most of my weekends in Charlotte.

He's a little off-kilter. His music wasn't horrible, but it lacked a lot of direction when I knew him. Probably better now.

Also I put on The National's 'Alligator' for him and our mutual friend. They hated on it. Guarantee you they've changed their mind on them now.

The new fleet foxes is now my leading AOTY candidate. It just gets so good in the second half. Everything from the title track forward is pure gold.

I'm going to give it a proper listen this evening. Montezuma was kind of bland I thought (I had to listen to one track last night), but good to hear it picks up. I liked the two (1? I might be confusing some solo stuff that dude threw out there) songs that were leaked early a lot.

I've listened to the entire Fleet Foxes album 5 times today and I love it. I had extremely high hopes and they have been met.

Winter Wonderland came on when I shuffled my iPod today. Sounded great.

I also like that they went to my desert home away from home for the inspiration for that album:

The Album was recorded at Wave Lab Studios in Tucson, Arizona. Band member Brian Weitz explained why they chose this location on the Collected Animals message board [1]:

"dave [Portner] and i were talking a few months back about environments to record and one of us was like maybe it'd be sweet to make this next one a desert record and then everyone was like yeah man we haven't done that yet and it seems like it could fit the songs and the way we want them to sound. that might not make sense to anyone but us because when you think of the desert you think of twangy guitars and morricone soundtracks and jim morrison walking with the ghost of an indian, but we don't really see it that way. we looked at a bunch of studios from southern california to new mexico and settled on one we liked in tucson. plus i've spent about a year and a half of my life living in the tucson area"

Moreover, Strawberry Jam engineer Scott Colburn, who also worked with the band to record the predecessor Feels, knew Wave Lab's owner. According to member Noah Lennox, it was a conscious decision to record the album "in a desert setting."[4]

Knowledgeable Pit Music authority.

Tell me about The Defamation of Strickland Banks by Plan B.

Heard this on my NPR app and immediately bought it. I've listened through once and really liked it.

It seems this guy really has something. What do ya'll think?

Lollapalooza lineup announced! - http://lineup.lollapalooza.com/

My most excited currently include (in order from headliners to the bottom)

My Morning Jacket
Ween
Bright Eyes
Arctic Monkeys
Beirut
Cold War Kids
Lykke Li
Local Natives
The Kills
Delta Spirit
The Mountain Goats (easily my most excited for this; cheesin so hard right now)
Grace Potter
Titus Andronicus
Dale Earnhardt Jr Jr
Tennis
Wye Oak
Lord Huron

I'd be worried The Mountain Goats wouldn't really translate well in a large festival setting. Have you read any reviews of past shows they've played at festivals that have made you feel differently?

Lollapalooza lineup announced! - http://lineup.lollapalooza.com/

My most excited currently include (in order from headliners to the bottom)

My Morning Jacket
Ween
Bright Eyes
Arctic Monkeys
Beirut
Cold War Kids
Lykke Li
Local Natives
The Kills
Delta Spirit
The Mountain Goats (easily my most excited for this; cheesin so hard right now)
Grace Potter
Titus Andronicus
Dale Earnhardt Jr Jr
Tennis
Wye Oak
Lord Huron

You should add An Horse to your must see list. Kick ass live!

Back