• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

I'd be worried The Mountain Goats wouldn't really translate well in a large festival setting. Have you read any reviews of past shows they've played at festivals that have made you feel differently?

I could definitely see it going either way. I'm just pumped caused he's (JD) my hero.

I guess it would be cool to see the Cars, though no more Benjamin Orr, which would make it pretty different.

Just came to a realization about the headliners. How awesome would that billing have been 10 years ago?

Just came to a realization about the headliners. How awesome would that billing have been 10 years ago?

My friend and I talked about that. It's like they did some kind of pool back in 2000 and asked "who is gonna be the best people to bring in for the 2011 show" and just held onto them like a keeper league.

Also highly recommend Little Tybee...good stuff so far.

Per pitchfork, Death Cab for Cutie and Frightened Rabbit are playing in Cary at Koka Booth Amphitheater on August 8.

Lollapalooza lineup announced! - http://lineup.lollapalooza.com/

My most excited currently include (in order from headliners to the bottom)

My Morning Jacket
Ween
Bright Eyes
Arctic Monkeys
Beirut
Cold War Kids
Lykke Li
Local Natives
The Kills
Delta Spirit
The Mountain Goats (easily my most excited for this; cheesin so hard right now)
Grace Potter
Titus Andronicus
Dale Earnhardt Jr Jr
Tennis
Wye Oak
Lord Huron

I want to see Best Coast, Manchester Orchestra, and Smith Westerns as well. And Girl Talk at Perry's. I like Perry's but many of the friends I used to go with don't.

Kinda underwhelmed really.

have any of you guys heard Fitz & the Tantrums? Just hear Moneygrabber a few days ago and it's really catchy thinking about getting more of their stuff, don't want to waste money on it though if it's sucky

I want to see Best Coast, Manchester Orchestra, and Smith Westerns as well. And Girl Talk at Perry's. I like Perry's but many of the friends I used to go with don't.

Kinda underwhelmed really.

I was a bit underwhelmed, especially at the headliners, but then there are bands I just can't wait to see, too. Not to mention its a reunion. :hug:

have any of you guys heard Fitz & the Tantrums? Just hear Moneygrabber a few days ago and it's really catchy thinking about getting more of their stuff, don't want to waste money on it though if it's sucky

Yeah, they were going to open for Sharon Jones one time, so I listened to a couple of songs. They were kind of catchy, but a little too sterile for me or something. I skipped them. Sharon Jones didn't really do it for me, either, though, and that was the second time I saw her (I think? jeez, my brain) -- both times underwhelming.

Just to add, the whole thing with these neo-soul groups are that they don't really do anything different than the OG Soul. And, at least when I've seen them, I've been less than impressed with the chops of the bands. So, I'd rather just go home, turn up my speakers, and listen to Sam & Dave sing Isaac Hayes songs, or the Supremes, or any other number of things, but they do seem catchy and fun, it's just not got that edge like D'Angelo, of someone semi-recent trying a similar thing.

Last edited:

Moneygrabber is insanely catchy and have bought that. Have a feeling they translate a lot better live. Here is where I first heard them. Crowd goes nuts the last minute.

Have seen them perform Moneygrabber quite a few times on various talk shows. Caught something else by them on either Kimmel or Carson Daly that was pretty good as well. That's all I got for you.

Amazon's mp3 store has the Best Coast album Crazy for You for $3.99 today.

Also, the free mp3 download of the day is Damn These Vampires by the Mountain Goats off their new album All Eternals Deck which is $5.00.

Anybody familiar with Scala and Kolacny Brothers? They cover songs by Radiohead, Metallica, Oasis, Foo Fighters, etc. on piano with choir singing. They were on Conan last week and sounded pretty good, but I could an a full album being a disaster.

Here is my first stab at the 10 best albums of 2011 to date. I'd love to hear thoughts, and I really wish the mods could accomodate streaming media (other than youtubez) so I could annotate the list.

1. Helplessness Blues - Fleet Foxes
2. Departing - The Rural Alberta Advantage
3. Cape Dory - Tennis
4. Underneath the Pine - Toro Y Moi
5. Outside - Tapes & Tapes
6. Wounded Rhymes - Lykke Li
7. The King of Limbs - Radiohead
8. Apocalypse - Bill Callahan
9. No Color - The Dodos
10. Kaputt - Destroyer

Just missing the cut: The Mountain Goats, REM, The Weeknd, Kurt Vile, Adele

Solid < 5 months so far, methinks!

Last edited:
1st 2 you list by album name; next 8 by band name.
Didn't think Fleet Foxes was out yet. Definitely getting.

Need to get Rural Alberta Advantage. Like what I have heard/has been posted.

Glad to see Lykke Li get some love. Need to check out Tapes N Tapes.

You post so much stuff on here it's hard to catch up, but I really appreciate what you do here. This board and DVRing late night talk show musical guests keep me somewhat musically literate.

3. Tennis - Cape Dory

Solid < 5 months so far, methinks!

Love it. Haven't been listening to it too much because I don't want to get tired of it as I feel like this will be perfect beach and pool lounging music

1st 2 you list by album name; next 8 by band name.
Didn't think Fleet Foxes was out yet. Definitely getting.

Need to get Rural Alberta Advantage. Like what I have heard/has been posted.

Glad to see Lykke Li get some love. Need to check out Tapes N Tapes.

You post so much stuff on here it's hard to catch up, but I really appreciate what you do here. This board and DVRing late night talk show musical guests keep me somewhat musically literate.

Fixed.

Also, I believe Fleet Foxes is out 5/5 or thereabouts, but it has been streaming on NPR for a bit, and 3 singles were released in the past few months, which is why I went ahead and put it on there.

The only big disappointments for me so far this year were Bright Eyes and Iron & Wine. I really like a couple tracks from each, but they are both big missteps in otherwise brilliant careers IMHO.

Back