• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

Here's an interesting pairing - Arlo Guthrie and Pete Seeger in Denmark.

I think I'm going to go see Richard Thompson in Boston in November. Dude's newest album is pretty tight and he can still shred. My man has been making great tunes for 50 years on his own, with Fairport Convention, and with Linda Thompson, and some of the recent live stuff with his trio on Youtube looks great. I'll find some shit and post it maybe. What a legend though. Should be fun.

Edit - Like this looks tight as shit. It is four years old, but my man sounds great and is shredding and the rhythm section is banging.

And they just announced he's playing at Haw River Ballroom a couple of weeks after the Boston show for which I already bought tix. Maybe I'll see him twice. I need to learn to be more patient. Reminds me of the time Dismemberment Plan announced only two reunion shows, one in Baltimore, one in Fredericksburg, VA, and I went up to this weird drum circle shop venue in Fredericksburg, where it was some All-Ages High School promoted program with D Plan headlining. Weird show and that was a weird day/night where I was visited by a memory of seeing a ghost. And they announced they were playing in Carrboro like a week later.

Geoff Emerick, engineer on some of the Beatles’ greatest and most ambitious works (beginning with “Tomorrow Never Knows”), and producer of the Zombies’ Odyssey and Oracle and Elvis Costello’s Imperial Bedroom, among others, died of a heart attack yesterday.

Allen Toussaint (who did the horn charts for Last Waltz) with Richard Thompson on guitar, Levon Helm on drums, Elvis Costello on rhythm, and Nick Lowe on bass (!) along with a few of Elvis's other friends.

Rock HOF nominees for 2019 were announced:

Def Leppard
Devo
Janet Jackson
John Prine
Kraftwerk
LL Cool J
MC5
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Roxy Music
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
Stevie Nicks
The Cure
The Zombies
Todd Rundgren

Six out of 15 of the Nominees are on the ballot for the first time, including: Def Leppard, Devo, John Prine, Roxy Music, Stevie Nicks, and Todd Rundgren

Good to see Rundgren, but still no Los Lobos, which is lame. John Prine is cool.

Im going to Colorado for 4 days in a couple weeks, then the Monday after I get back is the Kamasi Washington show.

Today's work listening will be:

Bruckner: Messe in F Minor (Happy Birthday, Bruckner!) Edit - Oops, actually this is his deathday. Happy deathday, Bruckner!

and

Phil Upchurch: Darkness, Darkness (don't know this dude, but Chuck Rainey on bass is a good sign)

Rock HOF nominees for 2019 were announced:

Def Leppard
Devo
Janet Jackson
John Prine
Kraftwerk
LL Cool J
MC5
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Roxy Music
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
Stevie Nicks
The Cure
The Zombies
Todd Rundgren

Six out of 15 of the Nominees are on the ballot for the first time, including: Def Leppard, Devo, John Prine, Roxy Music, Stevie Nicks, and Todd Rundgren

How are the zombies not in?

What a joke

Never really listened to much Cat Power, but a friend said she had gone to see her and it was a good show, so I'm checking out her latest, and it's pretty solid. This might be the only time I ever listen to it, but that's fine.

Also revisited Cass McComb's Mangy Love which I was pretty into a couple of years ago, and that thing holds up. He also puts on a good show.

Back