• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

The 60s and 70s had supergroups like Blind Faith, Cream, CSN&Y, Derek & the Dominoes and others. If we could engineer one today, how about (only younger players):

Drums- Anderson Paak
Bass - Tal Winkenfeld
Guitar/vocals - Gary Clark, Jr.
Vocals - Joss Stone

Saw Jenn Wasner perform a really stripped down set as Flock of Dimes last night and she was predictably great. The dude from Sylvan Esso opened, which made me think of this old post:

When I saw them last, homegirl was wearing six-inch platform boots. She was awesome.

I'm still not convinced dude is actually doing anything live once he hits play on the track. His movements never matched up with the song.

After watching the dude do his thing solo from like 15 feet away, I feel confident now in saying that he is actually doing stuff and making music not just hitting a play button. Cool shit. The chick from Sylvan Esso was also there watching.

The 60s and 70s had supergroups like Blind Faith, Cream, CSN&Y, Derek & the Dominoes and others. If we could engineer one today, how about (only younger players):

Drums- Anderson Paak
Bass - Tal Winkenfeld
Guitar/vocals - Gary Clark, Jr.
Vocals - Joss Stone

This is an interesting topic

Drums - Paak is a great choice, no issues there.

Bass - Tal is a great choice; Pino Palladino or Thundercat could go here.

Guitar - Get the fuck out with Gary Clark Jr...Guys I'd pick in front him:
John Mayer
Jack White
Derek Trucks
Slash
Joe Bonamassa
Keith Urban
Tom Morello
Rich Robinson
Marc Ford
Marcus King

Vocals - gets tougher. Joss is great, but for star power I think you're talking about someone like Ariana Grande, or Gaga.

So pumped for new music from The Raconteurs; they just played 3 nights at Third Man Records and will be hitting the road this summer. I've put in for tickets for the Denver show; here's to hoping for a little lottery magic.

This is an interesting topic

Drums - Paak is a great choice, no issues there.

Bass - Tal is a great choice; Pino Palladino or Thundercat could go here.

Guitar - Get the fuck out with Gary Clark Jr...Guys I'd pick in front him:
John Mayer
Jack White
Derek Trucks
Slash
Joe Bonamassa
Keith Urban
Tom Morello
Rich Robinson
Marc Ford
Marcus King

Vocals - gets tougher. Joss is great, but for star power I think you're talking about someone like Ariana Grande, or Gaga.

A number of your guitarists are 50+ yo. My idea was younger people.

As to the singers, I never much liked Arianna Grande. I love Gaga, but I'm not sure she can fit in with a band. She's too huge a personality and it would be bad to inhibit her.

Just want to take a moment to appreciate Alicia Keys

Alicia Keys is amazing, but like Gaga, I don't see her in a band. That's what I love most about Joss Stone. Her voice is incredible. Her presence is amazing and even in her teens, she could fit in with bands or others. Here she is with Jeff Beack and Tal Wikenfeld.

No 18 yo should be able to do this.

To have these chops, timing and feel are frightening.

I like classic R&B a lot more than rap/hip hop. It's like how I preferred R&B to disco. So, I like some of the Ventura album. I really like his percussion work.

As my old friend who played with most of the stars since the late fifties, "There are only two kinds of music- good, the stuff you like and bad, the stuff you don't. Other names are a waste of time."

The main reason I occasionally use labels is to more easily explain it to others.

Last edited:

this is still one of the most beautiful tracks i've ever heard

As Earth Day approaches, here is an early song warning us about our planet:

If I'm not mistaken, this was a band who performed on that day.

Just came across this article about a couple of Berklee grads who trained a neural network to produce a non-stop stream of death metal that they've got on youtube. Interesting experiment to say the least; the results are interesting and probably a good look (or listen) of one of future intersections of music and technology.

Article:
https://motherboard.vice.com/amp/en...-channel-streams-ai-generated-black-metal-247

Youtube stream of the music:

Back