• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

seeing Black Keys tonight. I don't have any of their records only heard them on the radio but looking forward to the legendary Aragon Ballroom and good times in the city with pals

Man, you would love their first few records. They’re a pretty tight rock band now, but they played some dirty blues back in the day.

R&R Hall of Fame didn't include Pat Benetar, who won the fan vote. The HOF seems to delay a lot of female artists. Hell, Linda Ronstadt didn't get in until 2014.

When I Google Linda Ronstadt Rock and Roll, this popped up. Hadn't heard in at least thirty years. The purity of her voice is amazing.

Those who got in:

Whitney Houston
Notorius B.I.G.
Depeche Mode
Doobie Brothers
Nine Inch Nails
T Rex
Jon Landau

R&R Hall of Fame didn't include Pat Benetar, who won the fan vote. The HOF seems to delay a lot of female artists. Hell, Linda Ronstadt didn't get in until 2014.

When I Google Linda Ronstadt Rock and Roll, this popped up. Hadn't heard in at least thirty years. The purity of her voice is amazing.

Those who got in:

Whitney Houston
Notorius B.I.G.
Depeche Mode
Doobie Brothers
Nine Inch Nails
T Rex
Jon Landau

The HOF is misnamed if Houston is in it. Rock & roll she wasn't. Also, it's a travesty that the Doobies had to wait this long.

The Museum, Library, and Archives are cool, but the whole voting people in thing is wack. We could go on all day -- I mean Little Feat and Los Lobos aren't in, and those are maybe two of the most distinctive American rock and roll bands ever. They are bad on women, bad on punk, bad on a lot of cross-over acts. I'm cool with a broad definition and including people like Whitney Houston, but don't leave out others. Link Wray, Warren Zevon, Devo, The Replacements, Dead Kennedys, XTC, Jonathan Richman/Modern Lovers. There are just a lot of gaps, that if they kept it strict would be more understandable.

Anyway, I know the people at the Library and Archives are doing a good job, and the Museum is fun to visit.

I've been reading Levon Helm's book, "This Wheel's On Fire" and it's great - really changing how I listen to and think of The Band. Would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in The Band or the evolution of American rock in general.

There's a Band documentary coming out -- Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and The Band. I hate the secondary title since the point of The Band was that it was The Band and not so-and-so and..., but Robbie's gonna Robbie. Anyway, should still be interesting. Another great Band bio is Across The Great Divide, by Barney Hoskyns.

This is pretty fun and wild. Bruce Palmer was the original bassist for the Buffalo Springfield before he got weird. This is an out-there jazz psych blues jam. With a young Rick James on vocals occasionally bleeding in there.

Last edited:
dead and co encored The Weight last night in ole mejico

setlist looked pretty pretty amazing

There's a Band documentary coming out -- Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and The Band. I hate the secondary title since the point of The Band was that it was The Band and not so-and-so and..., but Robbie's gonna Robbie. Anyway, should still be interesting. Another great Band bio is Across The Great Divide, by Barney Hoskyns.

One of my favorite R&R stories was in the very early days (as The Hawks), Garth Hudson had the rest of the group pay him $10/week as their "music teacher" to mollify his parents' objection to him playing in a rock band rather than using his formal music education.

It's a shame so many of The Band died young. Danko was a really nice guy and a wild man.

Man, you would love their first few records. They’re a pretty tight rock band now, but they played some dirty blues back in the day.

I recognized several songs last night. Overall a decent show and the band achieved liftoff a couple of times but not the most thrilling band live tbh. Love the Aragon though, great room

dead and co encored The Weight last night in ole mejico

setlist looked pretty pretty amazing

Listening to the “Eyes” now and it sounds pretty tasty. Nice and breezy.

A true masterpiece; sounds as good at 50 as I imagine it did in 69.
8769d5ce8bbda630a95e7d69e339ad6f.jpg

Going to meet Dawg in February for work. Should be cool. That is the legend Tony Rice far right flatpicking. it.

Just bought tix for Destroyer, Steve Gunn/Mary Lattimore/William Tyler, and Andy Shauf. Was looking at the Archers of Loaf show next month but it already sold out which made me jump on these others. Anyway, those should be good. I've seen them all before (multiple times!) but they'll be solid shows.

Thinking about this Molly Tuttle show in March, too, because she fucking shreds. Could be fun.

Going to meet Dawg in February for work. Should be cool. That is the legend Tony Rice far right flatpicking. it.

I have seen the david grisman quintet many times. including them backing Garcia Grisman back in the day.

Back