• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

Going to see umphreys mcgee tonight at the new Piedmont Hall which is an Indoor venue as part of the Coliseum complex right by the ampatheater

I’ve seen Umphreys before, they were a decent time. I think a friend of mine parties with the bass player.

Is that the place Elvis Costello is playing soon? Is there another new venue that has recently opened? I saw Elvis was playing some place with which I was unfamiliar.

She went to uncg back in the day. Used to play in the Bars on Tate street

Yeah that’s wild to think about. Cool though. I saw a great exhibit on her at the Country Music HOF last year. Anniversary of Gram Parsons’ death today, somewhat related.

I’ve seen Umphreys before, they were a decent time. I think a friend of mine parties with the bass player.

Is that the place Elvis Costello is playing soon? Is there another new venue that has recently opened? I saw Elvis was playing some place with which I was unfamiliar.

Same place. It's a big open space. with a stage. Sort of like the Fillmore in Charlotte but long instead of wide.

One of the first performances of "Blue Sky." One of the few, if not the only, with Brother Duane playing it live. Edit - I guess there are few other bootlegs out there apparently, but the ABB only officially released this one. Anyway, it's soaring. The Brothers.

Last edited:
One of the first performances of "Blue Sky." One of the few, if not the only, with Brother Duane playing it live. Edit - I guess there are few other bootlegs out there apparently, but the ABB only officially released this one. Anyway, it's soaring. The Brothers.

Nice share, Chupes!

I only started listening to the ABB in earnest about 2 years ago - they are sooooo good. Not sure why I never gave them much thought before, but they have become one of my favorite bands. Definitely would have loved to see them in their prime. Any old heads on this board happen to see them before Duane died?

I saw one of the first shows after Duane died. Eric Clapton showed up.

Question- Do people still blare music on The Quad from the dorms? Back in the day, Duane was a huge part of it with Whipping Post, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, Ramblin Man and, of course, Layla.

Last edited:
didn't see the Brothers until the Warren Haynes/Alan Woody combo.

Probably have seen them 15 times over the years.

Sorry, I’m calling BS on Clapton. The ABB are my favorite band and it was a big deal when he showed up to play with them at the Beacon Theater for their 40th anniversary since he surprisingly never had. I’ve read a biography of the band, one of Duane and one by Gregg and that was def the first time it happened. Here’s a bit from the band’s official biographer on it:

http://alanpaul.net/2017/03/eric-clapton-with-the-allman-brothers-band/

Clapton saw a Duane show in Miami which is how he got turned on to them, and the band jammed together in the studio. Those jams were on the Lyal box set and you can find them on YouTube. If he played with them in the 70s there’d be tapes. Jerry Garcia did sit in with the band a few times during the Chuck Leavell era, and Duane and members of the ABB sat in with the Dead at various points.

If I misremembered something that happened over forty years ago, I'll admit it.

Robert hunter wrote the soundtrack to my life. The essence of how authentic and profound songs like Wharf Rat, Black Peter, Stella Blue, China Doll, Attics were with Jerry's haunting forlorn voice is just indescribable. I am very fortunate that I got to experience that and its something I will carry with me the rest of my life.

Last edited:
i am not a lyrics guy at all, but the exception is shit like box of rain, uncle john's band and ripple. (which are all among my "hall of fame" spotify playlist which i limit to my favorite 20 songs)

RIP

hof.png

Saw that he wrote Ripple, Brokedown and To Lay Me Down all in one afternoon. Fare thee well.

Ripple and Box of Rain also come to mind for me as some of the finest songwriting of all time. Reading stuff that Bob and Bill and others are writing about him today, and thinking about how much sharing the Dead's music with my friends has meant in my life is hitting me. My mother-in-law tells the story of pulling the car over on the way to her kids' school 8/9/95 when the report of Jerry's death came on the radio. I was 8. I didn't grow up listening to the Dead until I got to high school, hung out with wakephan09 and crew a lot, and it opened a completely new world of music for me from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. For much of my teenage years I tied my identity to the music of a bygone era, felt like I'd missed the boat. As the years go on and we're on the second or third generation of Heads now what resounds to me most about the Dead has to be that they knew the uniting power of music in life and death.

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
I don't know, don't really care
Let there be songs to fill the air

Back