• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

I don't think I've watched the Grammys in my entire life, but I did see that St Vincent was nominated this year for some stuff for her album which came out in October 2017. WTF?

Beck, Cage the Elephant and Spoon are touring together this summer. Grabbed some tickets this morning. Sunflower Bean also playing at the NC shows.

Is Cage the Elephant cool? The only song of theirs I've ever heard is when they were on Beavis & Butthead.

I don't think I've watched the Grammys in my entire life, but I did see that St Vincent was nominated this year for some stuff for her album which came out in October 2017. WTF?

Yeah, Beck won an award for an album that came out in 2017, as well. There were a few of those; they have a weird eligibility period.

I also don't understand the Best New Artist category. Margo Price was nominated this year, but she appeared on SNL in 2016, so she's been around.

Is Cage the Elephant cool? The only song of theirs I've ever heard is when they were on Beavis & Butthead.

Never seen them other than hearing them from a distance at ACL in 2010. I know about 8 of their songs and generally like them. You probably know more of their stuff than you think. Will be seeing them in Atlanta at Shaky Knees in May. I would have bought tickets for Beck and Spoon separately though. :noidea:

You didn't see my valentine
I sent it via pantomime
While you were watchin' someone else
I stared at you and cut myself

Its all I'll do 'cause I'm not free
A fugitive too dull too flee
I'm amorous but out of reach
A still-life drawing of a peach

I'm a tulip in a cup
I stand no chance of growing up
I've made my peace i'm dead I'm done
I watched you live to have my fun

I root for you, I love you x2

I made it to a dinner date
My teardrops seasoned every plate
I tried to dance but lost my nerve
I cramped up in the learning curve

I'm a tulip in a cup
I stand no chance of growing up
I'm resigned to sail on through
In the wake of tales of you

didn't listen to that much new music this year but here are ten i liked a lot

10 Earl Sweatshirt - Some Rap Songs
9 Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever - Hope Downs
8 Jon Hopkins - Singularity
7 Mitski - Be the Cowboy
6 Vince Staples - FM
5 Snail Mail - Lush
4 Boygenius - Boygenius
3 Lucy Dacus - Historian
2 Amen Dunes - Freedom
1 Pusha T - Daytona

So he stayed away 16 days short of a year

Been listening to that new Cass McCombs pretty much non-stop since NPR dropped the First Listen. Now available in all physical media formats and on the usual streaming services. I love it. Looking forward to seeing him in March. Vibey stoner old guy music, probably.

Last edited:
Seeing an ad for tomorrow's SNL with Don Cheadle and Gary Clark, Jr. led me to watching this again...WOW!!

have tickets for him at cat's cradle back room in a few weeks

I saw William Tyler open for Yo La Tengo at the Variety Playhouse in ATL about 8 years ago. Just him on guitar, no backing band. It was truly amazing. I also saw him play lead guitar for the Silver Jews in Madison WI at the high noon saloon. His solo show was what really impressed me though.

William Tyler was playing with Lambchop when I saw them in the *greatest show ever* at the the XX Merge fest ten years ago. I like his solo stuff alright, so I may also check out that Back Room show. Gotta support dudes like that -- he's a pro. Seems like a decent guy, too.

William Tyler was playing with Lambchop when I saw them in the *greatest show ever* at the the XX Merge fest ten years ago. I like his solo stuff alright, so I may also check out that Back Room show. Gotta support dudes like that -- he's a pro. Seems like a decent guy, too.

I pretty much agree. His last album, Modern Country didn't do his skill as a guitarist justice. The clips I've heard from this new one sound more interesting.

William Tyler with Silver Jews would have been awesome.

Peyton Pinkerton was the other guitarist on that tour. They were a really good band for Berman to play with and carried him through is stage fright awkwardness. It was actually pretty funny, as Berman kind of hid behind a music stand with lyric sheets on it and I am certain that everyone in the crowd new every word by heart. That was the only time I saw them live and it was about halfway though his first tour ever. I heard he got more relaxed and comfortable as he played more and more shows.

Anyone listened to the new Jessica Pratt yet? I've read some good things but haven't dived in.

Back